GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Who is that Steinberg?

he goes a little over the top , but I thought the official team photo this year that he made as a tribute honoring both the 40th anniversary of Sergent Peppers and The Impossible Dream Red Sox also of 1967 was fun... How many team photos do you see like this?

background.jpg

Its got all the major figures of importance to the Red Sox of the last 100 years with the dividing line between black and white (Wizard of Ozlike) being 1967

NYTimes story.

..The "Sox Appeal" dating show at the park has got to go though

Edited by mstar1

I'm surprised that I knew so many... funny how they have Arod, Rivera & Jeter in there! ...and Gagne made the pic?

Pretty good idea... I gotta go back and see if Clemens is in there, I looked but didn't see him yet...

Is Crisp relegated to the bench? I'm thinking we might see him at some time in CO for defense but who sits?

Its a tough call but Youks is sittin and Papi is at first-at least for the first game.

Its tough to sit someone as hot as Youkilis, we'll see what happens the other two games. In the interleague games earlier in the year. Youk played some third and there was sort of a round robin with Ortiz-Lowell-Youk alternating days off, but Lowell is much better at third, and I have to wonder if they will sacrifice his defense.... so I have no idea the next few games--We''ll have to wait and see, Francona isnt tipping his hand yet...I have no idea yet who will hit in the two hole yet -Im guessing either Ellsbury or Drew..

Coco was struggling (to put it mildly) in the Cleveland series. He had that deer in the headlights look when he was batting, It was pretty bad looking-- so Ellsbury started from game 6 on ( I think it was 6-the memory aint quite what it used to be....).

Coco has been coming in in the late inning fro D, with Jacoby taking over in left for Manny

Trivia moment that doesnt cost you any extra--Coco's Dad goes by the name of "Sugar"...

As far as the Sgt Pepper Montage--It has the good and the bad, the famous and infamous-- all the history---Aaron Boone is even in there. Its great to tell stories from --Nuf Ced McGreevey of the Royal Rooters ( The 1903 version of Red Sox Nation) Lib Dooley who went to every single game at Fenway Park for over 50 years, tons of things to keep you busy and interested.... a good history lesson.........I just went back and checked Roger is in there . He is right where he should be between Luis Tiant and Pedro Martinez. The pitchers that were only known by there first names--you never had to say any more....gess what memories those three brought....

I gotta wonder if The Rocks are going to switch things around in the lineup to wake up the bats. Im not that familiar with how they play and move their lineup but I have heard that Tulowitski does well batting second, seems to me they have to start getting someone on in front of Helton and Holliday....soon

I thought this was a pretty good article on The Rocks....and the future of baseball

Edited by mstar1

cool... hey, what was the deal with John Henry holding his fingers in his ears like a little girl last night?

I dunno -I didnt see it. Henry is a very quiet and soft spoken guy..

A friend called me today who was at the game and said that even though the place was populated with celebs, MLB muckety mucks, the 'brie and chardonnay'crowd, (his words) etc and not the regulars, the crowd was still as loud 'as a jet landing' at times...I dont know if thats what you saw or not----

sorry, its been a busy "non-game" day. I have some catching up to do. No, I know 40 computers who tried both days to get tickets. None of us did. Verylittle work in corporate offices around Colorado got done on Tuesday or Wednesday, every CO bandwidth was being refreshed to the ticket site. The FBI is investigating the first day's events, supposedly a "malicious attack" on the system. THAT, coupled with a bad system to begin with meant alot of tiks went out of state according to the rumors.

Anyway, it will be good to be home again.

My perception is that after the drubbing of the first game, the Rockies batters were going too hard to make something happen. Not like them at all. Still, the game was decided on one run, (a walked batter). that is a good sign. Much was made by the announcers of the disciplined Boston bats. that is true, yet they only had 5 hits like the Rockies last night. Bottom line is that most astute Rockie fans expected the Rockies to only win one game in Boston. That has not changed, they still need to win one at Fenway and the same three games here.

I welcome you all to a glorious and georgeous place to play ball. Coors Field (but enjoy http://www.boulderbeer.com/ beer outside of the stadium. Game time temp Saturday 55, Sunday 65, Monday 64 ENJOY!

~HAP

It didnt take em long that T shirt was up about an hour after the steal--

The FBI is investigating the first day's events, supposedly a "malicious attack" on the system. THAT, coupled with a bad system to begin with meant alot of tiks went out of state according to the rumors.
Thats what I heard too. Boston fans who always love to travel to support the team were part of those 8.5million hits. We'll see how they did,there could be quite a few there. I didnt understand why the Rockies waited until the AL clinched instead of selling them immediately when they themselves clinched. I thiink it may have clogged them even more...

Boston sold what tickets were available at Fenway by a lottery system which was a little better but still flawed. The commissioners office demands XXXX amount of tickets are available to every MLB team, So there are alot of people from other cities to begin with who are 'baseball fans' but not necesarrily loyal fans of either team who get to go. There are also a lot of promotional tickets available for celebrities, corporations and the like who mostly are there to be seen at "the event" , which leaves the locals and regular fans , as well as the opponents fans scrambling like mad dogs for a reduced number of tickets. It doesnt seem fair to me that the teams regular fan base doesnt get first shot, hopefully the regular "feel" of the stadium doesnt alter too much--but it could....

My perception is that after the drubbing of the first game, the Rockies batters were going too hard to make something happen. Not like them at all. Still, the game was decided on one run, (a walked batter). that is a good sign. Much was made by the announcers of the disciplined Boston bats. that is true, yet they only had 5 hits like the Rockies last night. Bottom line is that most astute Rockie fans expected the Rockies to only win one game in Boston. That has not changed, they still need to win one at Fenway and the same three games here.

Do you think the Rocks are gonna change the lineup around, maybe its the layoff, maybe its WS jitters, maybe....,maybe...., maybe it will good for them to be home.

It will be good to play baseball again.

Ive heard enough of thin air, humidors and big outfields and breaking balls that dont break to take up a full day. Thats enough-lets play!

I am looking forward to seeing Coors Field, and watching

hit. Ive never seen him hit before -but he looks pretty good. We need some more pop in the lineup :wink2:

(I love the audio in that clip!)

Game day! Is there anything any better?

Edited by mstar1

hah, the Rockies do not even get respect from google ads. It's all Suks ringtones and t-shirts. LOL

Yes, Hurdle will change the lineup and put Tulo back in #2 spot I expect. Tavares hasn't gotten the job done in his spot. However, mainly I think the entire lineup just needs to go back to what brought them to the dance, smarts, patience, take what is given to you and do something with it.

Back on their home field, expect the Rockies defense to be much better (how could it not be). They are comfortable here, and very proud of what happens at home. Tulo will have a breakout day, Holliday will go park at least once this game, and probably twice, Helton will provide the calm, now it is time to get it done feeling. Their backs are against the wall, and since June that is when they have been at their best.

Much has been discussed about the way the club handled ticket sales. It will be done differently next time. One suggestion is that all the Rockies' share will be sold only to credit cards with Colorado or Wyoming zip codes. Of course, Boston has a much larger fan base, both at home and all around the country, due in part to the longterm curse of the Babe. (Remember that still?) Anyway, I am sure their will be one or two Rockie fans in the stands, and that is all we need to ensure homefield advantage.

rock on!

~HAP

That's Tuesday afternoon, right? Free Tacos at Taco Bell throughout the US, thanks to Tacoby Bellsbury! :eusa_clap:

I think it's the 30th from 2-5 pm. Most of us will be at work. I don't know that everyone is willing to make the effort for one measly taco. But hey, it's free food.

I think it's the 30th from 2-5 pm. Most of us will be at work. I don't know that everyone is willing to make the effort for one measly taco. But hey, it's free food.

There's a zillion Taco Bells here in the Phoenix area... I'll report on if I see any long lines in the drive-thru's.

I DO hope the Rockies are as comfortable as Hap said... Thursday's game WAS better, in that it was closer, but the Rockies still looked, at the plate, a lot like the Dbacks did much of this season...

DICE_K2.jpg

grumble...grumble...grumble....

Im conflicted I have a good client with an 'emergency situation', thats requiring me to pack up all my junk and drive 900 miles to Michigan tomorrow and stay for the rest of the week ---Im thinking ..." are you serious? IN the middle of the WORLD SERIES???? :realmad::realmad: ...but I bit my tongue, ( &^%$%^%$!!!!)

so I'll be away from here starting tomorrow .grrrrrrr

/shaking my head......

I still think the World Series should be holiday ..sort of like Christmas week---where all bets are off as far as doing stuff.. Im sure next to nothing is getting done in school or work in Denver...or Boston.... anyway thanks for listening to me vent------again....

Tulo will have a breakout day, Holliday will go park at least once this game, and probably twice, Helton will provide the calm,

Thems some pertty bold predictions.... :)

We will see but we will see...its a long ways until the end of this game....

and the DICEMAN cometh..

Im thinking Ellsbury will do something amazing tonight---dont underate him-hes just a kid -He is batting leadoff --It will be way bigger than a taco

Time to break out the gyro ball

The Rocks will be

gyroballmasthead2cj7.jpg

...I can almost smell steak.....

.....Im really curious to see where the Sox outfielders play in this game....All week I have heard about the vast acreage at Coors...The Rocks have a decided advantage at this. Im going back and forth between deep or shallow, leaning toward shallower as the place to be... as Im more concerned about runners taking an extra base on shallow hits when the OF is deep than I am about the ball being hit over an outfielders head, but I dont know the Rocks hitters that well... and well..I dont get to make the decision anyway... :biglaugh:

I wanna see how the Rox play it. I hope they show the OF alignments on Fox well enough. I think something as simple as that could decide any one of these games at Coors, akey extra base here or there, might be all it takes

Francona hooked Dicek way too soon imo, It was 6-0 at the time and he was throwin well. The bullpen has nothing so far

Papelbon is gonna have to shut this down.

It doesn't look like it mattered. :confused: At least he didn't put Gagne out there! :blink: :wink2:

guess I was wrong oh well. could we change the game to horseshoes or grenades? On second thought except for a few moments, even in those we would not have counted.

You might end up thankful for not having been able to get tickets! :wink2:

I hate to be premature, but like i said a few posts ago i have to leave so I wont be around

guess I was wrong oh well. could we change the game to horseshoes or grenades? On second thought except for a few moments, even in those we would not have counted.

This post has been edited by HAPe4me: Today, 01:52 AM

--------------------

ROCKTOBER!!!!!!!!!

I know its not over yet-I saw the Sox come back from 0-3 BUT Im not seeing that happening in this series (I could be wrong-I hope not though..)

I hope you enjoyed yourself HAP --There is nothing for me quite like being swept up in the euphoria of a magical team.

The Rockies proved they are that

That was helluva run, 21-22 just to get to the series is record book stuff.

The Rocks will be around for a long long time.

Support em-

enjoy em

they have certainly given you and their fans something thrilling to remember

come around this thread more often---

its been good having you here

Its a great great game....

Edited by mstar1

Another boring World Series.

Used to be, even though they lost, the Sox in the Series was memorable.-'67, '75. '86-great series. These 4 and out Series are killing the concept.

Since it gets thrown at the yankees at every turn, maybe the payroll gap plays a part. You could field 2 more Rockie teams and not match the Sox payroll.

Face it-the Yankees and the Red Sox are the beasts from the east, and the similarities far outweigh the differences.

Still it's not over yet. Maybe the Rockies will still make a series out of it.