GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

I guess Houston has no desire to play any more home games in Milwaukee....Batting totals for the two games: 1 run and 1 hit...

Interestingly, before Ted Lilly gave up his official "hit" in the seventh, an error was charged to Aramis Ramirez on the previous play that could have gone 50/50 either way...The scorekeeper said that's when the job get's real lonely,...and he went with keeping the no-hitter intact....

Well I guess in about two weeks we'll all know if it worked for them.

I dont know anything about Dale Sveum's managerial skills,

I can say In his years here he had the worse judgement of any thirdbase coach I have ever seen. He killed more innings by sending runners home who had no reason rhyme or right or even close chance of ever making it.

Only once in my life have I ever seen three runners thrown out at the plate in one inning and Sveum was the one who sent them all home to get thrown out by miles...it was one of the stupeeedest things Ive seen in recent years

Hopefully he is a better manager and has 'matured' in his judgement since he left here

Its been an odd year for pitchers.

Daisuke Matsuzaka is 17-2 now.. I have no way of knowing how--favored by the baseball Gods or something

Ive been watching all year and he honestly is not all that the record makes him out to be. Its the Sloppiest 17-2 I ever recall seeing.

I cant say anything about Lee(I havent seen him all year) but 22-2 is unbelievable

I'll take last nights move back into first (OK I know the sox are off by .002) for the first time in months though, theres nothing like hammering a good pitcher like Kazmir to boost your confidence a little

Its been an odd year for pitchers.

Daisuke Matsuzaka is 17-2 now.. I have no way of knowing how--favored by the baseball Gods or something

Ive been watching all year and he honestly is not all that the record makes him out to be. Its the Sloppiest 17-2 I ever recall seeing.

I cant say anything about Lee(I havent seen him all year) but 22-2 is unbelievable

I'll take last nights move back into first (OK I know the sox are off by .002) for the first time in months though, theres nothing like hammering a good pitcher like Kazmir to boost your confidence a little

It helps to be on a team with decent offensive prowess!

The 17-2 is impressive. Cliff Lee's 22-2 is impressive.

But I gotta be impressed by Brandon Webb's 20-7 (or is it 8?) and Haren's 15-8. Tonight, Haren threw a complete game shut out behind a feeble 2 run offense. It's fine if that only happens occasionally, but for the Dbacks, it's MOST of the time. Webb goes for win 21 tomorrow night. Then Thursday, Johnson goes for win 296 (i think) against Tim Lincecum... I don't expect the Dbacks to score much, if anything on Thursday...

THIS YEARS

Veterans ballot:

Dick Allen

Gil Hodges

Jim Kaat

Ron Santo

Luis Tiant

Joe Torre

Tony Oliva

Al Oliver

Vada Pinson

Maury Wills

Several of those guys should have already been inducted. And Torre has to be a lock as a manager, even if he never gets in as a player. But Wills and Tiant? What's up with it not having happened yet?

Who knows?

I'd definitely vote for Santo and Dick Allen in a heartbeat, and probably Luis, since he has the near exact career

numbers as Catfish Hunter (Who is IN)

The veterans committee is an odd group--even though a lot of those names are deserving-the last MLB Player they voted in was Bill Mazeroski (lifetime average .260) and that was 8 years ago.

Edited by mstar1

Great battle in the East last night for first.

Hard fought on both sides---1-1 in the top of the ninth, no outs Rays catcher Dionner Navarro throws out league lead base stealer Jacoby Ellsbury

snuffing a possible threat.

Bottom of the 9th (Rays)first batter-- a seeing eye bloop hit on an 0-2 pitch, then a 3-2 walk on a close pitch, a strikeout, then an 0-2 HBP ( :asdf: )

Bases loaded , one out, infield and outfield in, the same Dionner Navarro lofts one over the drawn in outfield for a walkoff win.

A late season game with two teams tied for first, a great game going to the bottom of the ninth and a walkoff win.

Tropicana Field was about 2/3rds full...I dont know why they cant draw more down there

I missed that moment (had a visitor and was trying to watch over her shoulder :wink2: )

I only caught the last few innings for real.

What happened Did a ball just appear?

The Trop is strange enough with balls bouncing off the catwalks. Ive seen more than one flyball go up and never come down..

It's not over yet. The Dodgers have proved many times that they're capable of going on a losing streak at the wrong time.

I now have extra incentive, as I found I have an inside track for playoff tickets. The same seats I usually use during the season, loge, right between home and first.

It looks like Manny got a haircut. Gotta admit he looks better with the dreads flying.

I missed that moment (had a visitor and was trying to watch over her shoulder :wink2: )

I only caught the last few innings for real.

What happened Did a ball just appear?

The Trop is strange enough with balls bouncing off the catwalks. Ive seen more than one flyball go up and never come down..

evidently a ball rolled out on the field somewhere along the third base line between home and third...

Beckett was in the process of throwing strike two to Dionner but the third base ump had called T.O. so he had to throw it over, then Beckett throws what would have been strike three (but was now only strike two)...

You know the rest, Dionner gets on base, then Beckett hits the next guy in the foot... and the race is on...

it's probably on Youtube or something...

At Dodger Stadium last night, for my last game of the year (unless I and the Dodgers are fortunate enough to get to the playoffs. Keeping fingers crossed on both counts).

All Manny did was hit 2 home runs, for 5 rbi. The Dodgers have to sign him, or there will be a revolt in Chavez Ravine.I can just picture next season opening with no Manny, but Andruw Jones once again in center field. :asdf:

Now you know how I felt all those years watching him and trying to explain what it was like.

There is something absolutely great and electrifying about watching Manny hit.

As Ive said about a million times he is the best pure hitter I have ever seen

I just checked his stats --49 RBI in 47 games for the Dodgers--.404-16 HRS--.490 OBP

Projected over a season those are some sick stats.

I still think he has a shot at being in the top five in the MVP voting.

Whatever you do--just keep him happy out there--and he'll keep it up