GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Now you know how I felt all those years watching him and trying to explain what it was like.

There is something absolutely great and electrifying about watching Manny hit.

As Ive said about a million times he is the best pure hitter I have ever seen

I just checked his stats --49 RBI in 47 games for the Dodgers--.404-16 HRS--.490 OBP

Projected over a season those are some sick stats.

I still think he has a shot at being in the top five in the MVP voting.

Whatever you do--just keep him happy out there--and he'll keep it up

Hey...I know just a little bit about how it feels, having followed him during all his Cleveland Indian years.

About a week ago I posted that video of Paul Byrd tipping piches--

Wow... how did YOU find out about the YouTube clip?

Isn't it possible to send an email to the Sox about it?

Glad to say the video made it to the Red Sox and Byrd was able to adjust his delivery in time to win his next outing

Boston Herald

Byrd is not only appreciative of the sonsofsamhorn.com report, but amazed by it.

“There are some great fans in Boston,” he said. “You know what I’m saying? My gosh. It’s hard enough to get people just to watch, but that fans would pick up something like (tipping pitches) is just incredible.”

Welcome to Boston Paul :)

Who says messageboards dont have an impact?

Dbacks now only 2.5 games behind Dodgers.... it's no wonder that Hiway29 is being humble in looking toward a possible playoff chance for the Dodgers. It's certainly NOT a lock for them yet.

The Dbacks pretty much have to win the rest of their games and rely on the Dodgers to lose a few...

... the scenario STILL favors the Dodgers however!

I don't think anyone is worried that the Yankees are going to make the playoffs.

That was some send off. After ESPN signed off, I wondered how long the crowd was going to stay.I thought Derek Jeter handled it with class. It suddenly seemed wrong not to have Joe Torre there, but of course he's a little busy. The reality that once you left-that was it, set in, and people were reflecting , and not wanting to go. I know from my seat 3000 miles away, it was an emotionally draining day. It took me a long time to get to sleep after.

I'm hoping the joint next door doesn't turn into a giant lemon.

...and the Sox go for the playoff spot clinch tonight...

The division is not out of the question, and I still would like to see them get it, but more importantly Id rather see them get everyone as healthy as possible and the pitchers all lined up.

The AL playoffs (at least) are going to be tough-real tough

I'd take that--although with Josh Beckett pitching tonight I hope they dont light him up for 7 runs.

The Tribe re-learned how to hit during the middle of the season. Yesterday they scored 10 with Sizemore laying goose eggs. In the meantime, Bosox hitters should be happy to see Jackson, whose 6.48 ERA is not deceptive. Thus my prediction the way I made it. If there are less than 10 runs scored combined, I'll be surprised; less than 5 and I'll faint.

12-7 it is then

If you hit that on the money we'll promote you to a Wall Street CEO -Their predictions havent been very good lately :)

Okay I was wrong, and i almost had to faint. Beckett did well to hold the Indians hitters down as much as he did. But the real surprise was Jackson pitching as well as he did in Fenway. The bullpen? No surprise, they've been hot and cold, and they were hot when they had to be. I guess a ball hitting an umpire messed up the red Sox, but so did 12 LOB.

Yea the Red Sox hardly looked "championship caliber" last night. They are a frustrating group--- flashes of brilliance then

lose tons of one run games squandering chance after chance...It would be easy to blame that umpire play --but with the number that they left on base its just not worth the effort..

Your man Cy Lee goes for --what is it now #23 tonight?.

I know there are a few history buffs among us. I just got the new SABR FRED MERKLE edition from the Deadball Era Committee.

If anyone wants some interesting reading on the '08 (1908 that is) season and more than you ever thought possible to know about Fred Merkle click on the above link

Edited by mstar1

It will be good to see him as i havent seen him all year ans rarely (have i ever?? -eh maybe Ron Guidry in '78) seen anyone at 22-2.

The Red Sox are totally unpredictable at this point they could either fold like little leaguers against Lee or knock him out in the third. Wakefield who's pitching has been he same way, I saw him pitch a 3 hit shutout then next time out get knowed out after 1 2/3 --so tonight there is no telling--although I'll have to give a big edge up to Lee.

That's a great link to Fred Merkle, Mstar.

It's going to have to wait until I can give it the time and attention it deserves, though.

What will be the fate of the Dodgers and Dbacks ? It really is up for grabs right now. The Dodgers are heading south, and the Dbacks are heading north. Will Joe Torre and Manny right the ship? Will I kiss my playoff ticket hopes goodbye ? I did get an unexpected opportunity to get to the last home game on Thursday, and I'm figuring I better go "just in case".

Ithought you may like that especially after the rave reviews of Crazy 08 last winter from you.

I dont know if there has been a change but SABR (at least The Deadball Era wing) is making many of their past publications available for free now. HERE (then choose the issues from the right column.

They are usually by subscription only --they are an excellent source of good historical research.

I suppose that I should note that the Merkle game was 100 years ago TODAY--in fact probably right about now

...I'll be hoping Joe and Manny do the trick--I want to see them at least a few times in the first round--and hopefully more

Edited by mstar1

I gotta admit Im a little excited -- glad Im going to be seeing October baseball in these parts

Yea, and without you know who again. My Indians and their local bug population helped spoil the classic rivalry last season. This year it is the Rays who stuck their nose into the thing. But....

I just read how Steinbrenner was ripping the playoff system...but he had to go to the NL to do it, evidently feeling that the Dodgers shouldn't get into the playoffs over the Yankees when the Yanks had the better record. My, those grapes are sour aren't they? Oh well, like father like son...

and speaking of poor Detroit...this is slightly :offtopic: , but it does have some similarities to the poor Tigers' plight...I see the Lions finally got rid of my old Penn State guy, Matt Millen, after all these years of dismality. He was great on PSU defense many years ago, but as a front office guy.....

And thus the baseball thread gets the honor of my 2000th GS post.

Edited by Lifted Up

And thus the baseball thread gets the honor of my 2000th GS post.

that seems appropriate -congratulations--

I just read how Steinbrenner was ripping the playoff system...but he had to go to the NL to do it, evidently feeling that the Dodgers shouldn't get into the playoffs over the Yankees when the Yanks had the better record. My, those grapes are sour aren't they? Oh well, like father like son...

Just when George was slowing down -Hank comes along and is great fodder for quotes--maybe even better than his Dad.

The Rays rightfully earned a spot in the playoffs as did the Red Sox.

I really dont know what there is to complain about there will be 21 other teams besides the Yanks who dont make the playoffs either. You play the games, fight through the same problems as everyone else and you either make it or you dont...

Personally I hope he overreacts signs more big free agents (Texeira, Sabathia, Burnett) and decimates their entire farm system again. I'll let Hank worry about Hank, I have October on my mind although I have to say i was a little annoyed when Sportscenter spent 5 times the coverage on the Yankees being eliminated than they did on the Red Sox actually procuring a spot....

Anyway---the hangover game is tonight-after last nights mini celebration---I'll be looking for a lot of guys to rest and a lot of Triple A'ers to be filling in... We have a week or so to get everyone healthy and lined up for (it looks like) the Angels

Its going to be very strange this weekend to have a yankee series that isnt meaningful -I cant remember the last time that happened...

Well, I'm going to be pretty neutral in October. If I get a chance to watch anything, I'll be watching just for good baseball.

I wonder what it is liked to be rammed in the mask by a major league foul ball off a major league fastball? Of course, I get hit lots of times calling the kids games, because, of course, the catchers are still learning.

I dont watch sportscenter regularly--but there is usually a brief mention only of anything Angels---or 3/4 of the teams really --which I am starting to realize more and more

I know Im biased toward the Red Sox, i enjoy them, and have the 24 hour Red Sox station, but it was a curious thing when Yankee Stadium closed this past weekend. I enjoyed the coverage but a friend made an interesting point when he said that he didnt remember any coverage at all when Tiger Stadium closed or other places-- Im sure that it was just as monumental an event to the people of Detroit.

I Liked ESPN when i first got it years ago--but Im starting to see more and more that as youve said for years -they play their favorites...

I wonder what it is liked to be rammed in the mask by a major league foul ball off a major league fastball?

Ive seen some umps get hammered this year---sometimes 3-4-5 times a game-

My brother in law is a college ump and Ive seen him get battered and bruised pretty good at times..I have no idea what a major league fastball to the mask would feel like--and I dont really want to find out at this stage of my life