GreaseSpot Cafe

Super Bowl XXXIX

Pirate1974

Im not that great of a football fan but I am amazed by The Patriots and Bill Belichicks genius...

Last week they held the best offensive team , the Colts to 3 points and this week against the best defensive team , the Steelers, they score 41...Apart from the obvious stars like Tom Brady, they seem to have the team concept down, every player makes contributions every week, Troy Brown has been a stalwart on offense, defense and special teams...

Yea I hope its a good game, and as much as I feel for the Philly fans and what they've had to put up with, I'll be rootin for the Pats, we havent had a major sports championship up here in what? about 3 months? I dont know if I can endure any longer icon_wink.gif;)-->

I hope it's a good game, too. And it has every chance of being one: 2 very good defenses that play consistently well in their schemes and 2 offenses capable of lighting it up...

Everyone's talking "dynasty" regarding the Pats, if they can become only the 2nd team (behind you know who) to win 3 out of 4...

What I find it hard to believe is that there's not much talk of dynasty towards the Phleagles... they've done it 4 years straight... no small feat... (but then again, no one talks about the Bills of the 90's much either do they?)

I think the Pats will win it...They're too fundamentally sound...a well-oiled machine...While the media loves to hype the athletic,running quarterbacks,or the offenses geared toward scoring 40 points a game,I'll put my money on the pocket-passer,a balanced,ball-control offense,and a sound,good-tackling defense...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not much of a sports fan, but I did haveta tune in for a few minutes of the game (I saw most of the second half).

I thought the game was O.K. Not entirely a yawner, but not a whole lot of "Wow! Didju see that!" moments either.

My big question is, though, what the hey were the Eagles thinking in the last few minutes of the game? Damn, they needed to answer for 10 points and they were just draggin' a$$ around the field. No "hurry-up" offence, no running out of bounds to stop the clock, just sorta non-chalant.

I know the announcers were saying the same thing, but, gawd, it was evident long before they brought it up. Is that the way the Eagles normally play?

Oh, and, yeah, except for the "butchered cat", the commercials were yawners too. Why is everybody playing so safe all of a sudden?

Andy Reid is going to get skewered by the fans in Philadelphia for his clock mismanagement at the end of the game. The Eagles were acting like they had all the time in the world and when they finally scored to make it 24-21, they were forced to go for the onside kick. Bizarre.

Another strange coaching decision by Reid was to not have anybody back to receive that last punt, letting the Patriots easily down the ball at the 4 yard line. No idea what he was thinking there.

Its alot of little things that make teamslike the Patriots and Red Sox Champions , I like this piece from Sports Illustrated's Rick Reilly:

"In the final hours before the Super Bowl, NFL players have been known to go and get, say, a $40 hooker. Or go to ­Tijuana and get muy smashed. Or try to set the coke-snorting world record.

"But before this Super Bowl, wide receiver Deion Branch of the Patriots did something even stranger.

"He picked up his cellphone and called every coach in his life who meant something to him. He called Pee Wee coaches. He called his high school receivers coach. He called his junior college offensive coordinator. He called his college head coach. He called 13 coaches in all.

"And do you know what he told them? Thank you.

"Thank you for caring about me when I could’ve gone south. Thank you for making me run stairs. Thank you for believing I could do this.

"He thanked his coach at Louisville for not giving up on him when his grades were lousy. He thanked his high school coach for believing he ­wasn’t too puny. He thanked one coach for being there for him when his infant son was near death.

"He got so emotional while thanking them that “I was crying half the time,” says Branch, 25. “It’s hard, but I don’t want them to think I’ve left them behind. I want them to know I’m thinking about them all the time.”

"And when he was done calling—about two hours later—he got on the team bus, put on his number 83 and made the ­Patriots thank God they had drafted him.

"Branch caught 11 passes—tying the Super Bowl record co-owned by his hero, Jerry Rice—for 133 yards. He was named the MVP of New England’s 24–21 win over the Eagles." (continued in this week's Sports Illustrated)