GreaseSpot Cafe

EMERGENCY advice needed. diabetic.

excathedra

MJ, if you had read the posts BEFORE you posted, you would have realized that Excathedra said her SON had the broken wrist AFTER her mother was admitted to the hospital. Now, why don't you do the classy thing for once and apologize to her for not reading the post correctly and then just leave her alone?

Rick

Exxie, I have insulin dependent diabetes and here are a couple of points from long and bitter experience.

Go to the pharmacy and get some glucose tablets. These are like sweet tarts and are for very low blood sugar. The normal range is 70-140 for a diabetic, 70-120 or 70-110 for a normal person. You want to keep his glucose between 75-80 and 200. If you want to PT me with a list of meds, I will try to help you. I mostly know about insulin.

Second, he needs SOME carbohydrate if he is on any kind of medicine at all. Sweets, potatoes, white rice all contain short chain carbs, will digest faster, and will cause his glucose to skyrocket if eaten in large amounts.

Ask him what symptoms he has if his glucose is too high and if it is too low. They somewhat differ from person to person. If it is high he may feel short of breath. If it is low, he will be sweaty and shaky, perhaps even tearful. If he is short with you and snappish, it may be high (I am a screaming you know what when my glucose is 200+) (Maybe when it's not, too).

Praying for your son, and your dad, and especially YOU.

Love,

WG

Aaaawww (((exie)))) I'm sorry your life is so hard right now. I'll be praying for you and your family.

Another option as far as taking care of you father's diet and meds go, call his doctor's office. Most times a nurse or somebody can get you the info.

Anyway hang in there! love ya tcat

(((((excathedra)))))

I'm thinking of you today! You are a wonderful person and it's so nice of you to get information on your father's condition before going over there. That's a very considerate thing to do and will no doubt make it less stressful having the information you need.

I hope your handsome goalie is okay, too! I'd much rather rush to the ER than be sorry. It's perfectly natural for a mom to want her child taken care of STAT, even if it turns out to be something minor. And, just ignore mj. She very rarely has anything to contribute to a thread and obviously didn't even read what you posted.

I wish I was there to help you.

Ex,

Praying for you and your son.

I think I know what you mean about being a good human rather than trying to be a good daughter. I think your situation may be similar to what I have with my crazy mother. Praying for your heart to be protected and that your dad's wife gets home ASAP to resume his care.

Your son is lucky to have such a caring mother. The fact that he knows you care so much and love him will make his injury less scary for him.

(((((ExC)))))

How's things?

Lots going on, huh? Sigh. One day at a time...or go totally freakin' insane...those are my options. LOL icon_wink.gif;)-->

Anyway, stress and illness raise blood sugar levels dramatically...more so than foods.

The absolute best diet for a diabetic is 150-200 calories every 1.5-2 hours.

Don't have a tater and a brownie at the same time...very bad! But have .5 tater at one meal and .5 brownie at another.

As mj said, it's not so much what one eats, as it is how much one eats at a time.

Fruits and juices should be eaten very sparingly and only when sugars are below 90...from my personal experience. Canned fruits should not be in heavy syrup. Juices should not have sugar and/or syrup added. The best option I have found is Ocean Spray Cranberry juices with sweeteners instead of sugars. (Not every market carries these...so you may have to call around.)

Again, mainly be careful on how much is eaten at one time.

Gosh and golly...such things put upon your plate! You must be very, very strong and very, very reliable and very, very capable for the universe to entrust you with such honor. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Oh...and Watered Garden knows what she's doing quite well! Good person to PT with on this. icon_smile.gif:)-->

thank you all and really mj i didn't even mean you were hard hearted. i don't know what the hell i meant, i was just glad i didn't have a brain like i used to have. hard to explain

anyway the emergency room was wrong. my son's wrist is fractured. i just got back from the orthopedic. no hockey for a while.

i went shopping and brought all your notes with me. i delivered everything and set up meals as best i could. it was very difficult for me since i don't especially like him.

i wonder how long his wife will be in the hospital.

sadly he doesn't look long for this world.

i don't know..... now it's snowing like mad. i have a headache. poor me icon_smile.gif:)-->

thanks for letting me vent. it helps. and thank you for all your caring advice. i appreciate it.