GreaseSpot Cafe

EMERGENCY advice needed. diabetic.

excathedra

talking with my neighbor....she and her son are diabetic.

Locarbs.....a lot depends on how much insulin he takes....

cereal milk is ok,

Vegies are good....watch out or fruit (it turns to sugar)

Toast and butter ...

Grill or roast meat a small baked potato

Baked fish or chicken....salad

Any meat, as long as it is baked or grilled, frying is a no no

Light yogurt sweetened with aspertane.

Big thing is low carbohydrates....(turns into sugar)

Hope that your mom is ok.

As far as safe food a diabetic can eat any food. they just have to watch the levels of sugar and take the insulin if needed.

a calorie rich food such as a cookie or brownie would cause his sugar levels to rise fast leaving him hungry for more food.

less sugar laden items, soup sandwhichs, pretzels, fruit natural or in natural syrup. He probably know how much he is allowed with his insulin amount . do not worry. it can be controled with his insulin, but stress such as having your wife in the hospital can also play havoc with your system and is much more difficult to control and may disturb his "levels' as well.

If he forgets to check his sugar or eat while trying to cope he can run into trouble. Remind him if he is under stress if you realize it has been a number of hours since he has ate if possible to keep his sugar levels normal and in range.

ex they will not keep her in the hospital for a broken wrist!

rushed?? I mean it may need to be set but really it isnt a serious emergency here we just take them to the doctors for x rays and then they set it.

she can sommunicate her husbands needs is he insane or something and unable to help himself?

Excathedra: This is from a very good book written by Dr. Cas Ingram titled Super Market Remedies. Foods with curative factors for diabetics are as follows:

Artichokes (contains inulin, a natural type of insulin)

Avocados (carbohydrate-free fuel; carnitine)

Beef (Caritine, B vitamins, protein)

Broccoli (magnesium, calcium, folic acid, riboflavin)

Cilantro (potassium; magnesium)

Cumin (enhances liver/pancreatic function)

Eggs (lecithin, vitamin E, vitamin D)

Garlic (improves circulation; insulin-like action)

Oregano (potent anti-fungal, chlorophyll, minerals)

Rice Bran (provides natural B vitamins, uses Nutri-Sense)

Salmon (fish oils improve the effectiveness of insulin)

Sardines (fish oils, RNA/DNA

Exxie,

I am diabetic. A safe way to start with your father NO MATTER HOW MUCH HE COMPLAINS......make him meats and salads. Steak and salad, chicken and a different salad, pork and sauer kraut.

I am guessing you may not understand or know how often he checks his blood sugar, and are just finding out what meds he takes, so to keep him happy, give him decent amount of meat and a some sort of vegetable he will eat.

Make sure he tests as often as he is supposed to. If he is insulin dependent, ask how often and how much and just follow up at the appropriate times.

Let me know if I can help.

ror

"rushed?? I mean it may need to be set but really it isnt a serious emergency here we just take them to the doctors for x rays and then they set it. "

Not to derail, but if my kid broke his wrist or any other body part I'd be rushing him to the emergency room too. That's gotta hurt like hell and I sure don't want my kids to endure any more pain than they have to!

Excathy - don't ever question yourself about being a good person - you are that!

Sometimes when our relatives do heinous things, it is all we can do to restrain ourselves....I don't ever want to be a "good sister" again!

I hear you.

thanks you nice people. this guy probably deserves to have his oxygen tank cord wrapped around his neck. but you know.... alot of people are screwed up because they got screwed

abi, thank you so much for that response about taking your kid to the ER.... no offense MJ.... but i almost got meek to what you were saying because i felt like i cared too much for my kid

no more wayfer brain no more wayfer brain or whatever brain HARD HEARTEDNESS

it's weird, a couple of years ago i started a thread about how i finally got up the courage to look into his eyes .... and i think i said i did not find a monster... not sure

then a couple of gals trashed me for being an attention seeker. then the thread got deleted or lost and i thought paw sucked or there was a conspiracy

whatever

anyway here i am dealing with this and i think and hope i'll do fine

interesting.... well probably only to me....

Im fortunate I had never taken my kids to the ER. ever.

yes they did break bones and get stitches from time to time,

The dr. here take care of such in their offices without the hefty bill of a hospital. We also have offices called

"urgent care " that deal with most after hour emergencies here. I was lucky my dr. for the kids was open twenty four hours a day.

The hospital would not see a person for a broken arm here for at least 8 hours, if that, mostly they would refer you to the dr. the next morning . the urgent care facilities have x rays and can set as well. but it is a private dr's office. only a fraction of what a emergency vist would be, my son just went and got four stitches cost him 700 bucks at the hospital, 45 at urgent care big difference. Besides I do not trust the dr. in the hospital they are really just learning and only want the "fun huge emergencies. the hospital are for real emergenices like car accidents ,heart attacks , babies etc here. medical concerns are billed very heavy and made to wait for hours if not untill the next day. We have codes here where the hospital will not accept anything but extreme emergenices quite often as well. They turn the ambulance away altogether if they think it can wait and a broken arm would be able to be referred to urgent care or next day.

I care about my kids to ex, hard heart? please give me a break .

sorry if i said you don't care about your kids or have a hard heart, mj

i gotta go back and read what the hell we're talking about

i'm having a bad night but that's not your fault

i think you asked if my father was insane and if his wife had a broken wrist

anyway, anyway i don't know what the heck

the hard hearted part, i was wrong, i'm sorry