GreaseSpot Cafe

Woman gives birth in van-pulled over at gunpoint

waterbuffalo

Well, all I gotta say is, that sure was an easy delivery. But I sure wouldn't want to be held at gunpoint in all my glory.

This will be talk in that family for generations to come!!!!

Irealize you asked Kit but I will say the article clearly states in the last paragragh that mom went home and baby stayed in intensive care .

sounds like she delivered early, and paniced wow I admire her ability to keep it together as much as she did. poor lady.

She got to the hospital after midnight tuesday, but the baby was admitted into intensive care Wednesday, when the mohter was released?

Does sound odd, to me.

On the other hand, there is no reference to anything actually being wrong with the baby.

if the baby was able he/she would have gone home with the mom .

I hope the baby is doing well. Galen late tuesday (after midnight) is wednesday they are writing to have you notice the baby was born on tuesday not wednesday . but admited into the hospital into intensive care wednesday. not to confusing.

no it is not normal a baby would be in intenisve care if all was fine. that is why Im guessing he/she may be early or got cold or had trouble of some sort. what trauma for them both.

It's an interesting and humorous story, waterbuffalo. The foulups that resulted in her being pulled over (the humorous part) had nothing to do with whatever may or may not be wrong with the baby. (The extra time in intensive care could be merely extra precaution, due to the unusual circumstances of the birth.)

A more local story, and more personal

(but I could find no further word of how the little guy is doing)

30 years ago (fresh-twi years) I worked at Alta Bates Hospital in Berkeley in Central Supply-- And I was able to spend a lot of precious time praying for these so fragile babies.

For evaluation, Premature births or special circumstances can routinely go to intensive care, and given the non-sterile circumstances of his birth it is possible.

Baby Intensive Care is intense. Babies on life support. More than one specially trained nurse per baby. Staff doctor 24/7. Parents usually can't even touch their babies, but through little holes in the box with rubber between them and baby.... Some babies so small you can't hardly believe it.

The fact that this baby he was still in intensive care and not just "under observation" and due to the size of this guy (anything over 6 lbs was considered a full-size weight 30 years ago) something else may be wrong.

keep praying for good measure,

Kit

quote:
It's an interesting and humorous story, waterbuffalo. The foulups that resulted in her being pulled over (the humorous part) had nothing to do with whatever may or may not be wrong with the baby. (The extra time in intensive care could be merely extra precaution, due to the unusual circumstances of the birth.)

Yeah, that's what I thought. Thanks for understanding, Long Gone.

Kit, I actually thought it was routine since the little guy was born that way so they could observe him. Hope he's ok, too.

waterbuffalo,

I just read that story to my 82-year-old mother. This woman gave birth (naturally, no anesthesia) to ten children. She also assisted in the birth of one of her granddaughters, in the back of her station wagon, on the way to the hospital.

One of my mother’s children died at two weeks of age. Another was born with a physical deformity that took specialized surgery and years of therapy to overcome. Another was born mentally retarded. Still another was brain-damaged from being struck by a pickup truck when he was 5 years old. Her husband (my father) was blinded in the service and never saw most of his children.

This woman knows something about birth, untimely birth in a vehicle in front of others, and tragedy. She is now rather feeble and in poor general health, nearly blind, and in near-constant pain from severe arthritis, so she doesn’t laugh too much these days. As I read her that story, she laughed louder and longer than I’ve heard her in years.

Just thought you’d like to know that you gave an old woman some pleasure. Thanks.

Thanks Long Gone.

I did know that someone was going to laugh at this story -- nice! (A woman who had gone through the same thing could think it was very funny -- like the stuff we we through in twi no one else could laugh at.)

Thanks, again,

kit