GreaseSpot Cafe

Article about Anger Manipulation-Disqualifies Ldrship

waterbuffalo

This is a really good article about leadership in the church and "outbursts of anger."

I didn't put it in doctrinal because anger in leadership was part of the twi machine so thought it belonged here.

Click on Week 16-Creating a Clean Heart - Part VIII - for the article if you'd like to read it:

http://morningstarministries.org/pages/wor...k_menu.html#top

Edited by waterbuffalo

I know, this subject has been talked to death here at the cafe, but I thought this author went at it from a slightly different angle and I appreciated his take on people who do this are really just working out of the works of the flesh.

He also seems to prove that this disqualifies them from leadership.

Yeah, WW, he calls it demonic. Interesting that there are now really good articles on this sort of thing so it must indicate there are other "Christians" out there doing some of this anger/control stuff--probably nothing new under the sun, huh?

Wow, that pretty much said it. I always wondered about the difference between "spiritual anger" and losing one's temper.

That article made a lot of sense. There are several scriptures that make it clear that we are to control our tempers, that it is a hallmark of spiritual maturity.

Well, hmmm. Thanks for sharing that, wb.

WB, it IS a very good article and smacks in the face of all TWI taught and practiced under lcm. I didn't realize there were so many verses about controlling your anger. Seems to me "spiritual anger" should never result in the outburts and intimidation that we were so frequently exposed to.

TWI used to teach that feelings were icing on the cake and to be ignored if they didn't line up with whatever TWI's agenda was, seems to me they didn't do such a good job of providing examples of that when it came to anger and controlling one's temper. It's so much nicer now to be around people who aren't constantly angry, yelling or upset about something.

Yeah, I thought so too, outandabout and Belle.

Also, he made it clear he was referring to those who had a pattern of anger, not just far and few between outbursts.

quote:
Most people know at least one person who tries to control others with their anger. Few things can be more cruel or demeaning for the one who tries to do this, or to the ones who are subjected to it. Is this the kind of dignity that we would expect from someone who truly has authority? Would the Lord ever behave that way? Could anyone who is led by the Holy Spirit behave that way? This is why being "quick tempered" is listed with the other sins and personal problems that will disqualify one from being an elder in the church, as we read in Titus 1:7. One who cannot control his temper is, at best, still in bondage to the "works of the flesh," and must not be appointed as a leader in the church.

---just about nailed it, huh?