GreaseSpot Cafe

A prize for a classroom

Shellon

I am putting together the Science Fair at my daughters school.

So far, so good and I'm having a blast.

There will be a poster contest for each classroom. On this poster, the kids (collectively all on one poster) will 'advertise' the science fair and the posters will be displayed through out the building.

It's a few community member's jobs to judge these posters.

It's my job to give the winning classroom a prize. The grades are 3rd, 4th and 5th.

Any ideas? It will be something that will stay in the classroom, for repeated use year after year.

I've thought of the usual microscope etc., but am trying to come up with something.....differant.

With 75 per prize, the following would be welcome in my classroom ANYtime:

VCR

DVD player

Teacher Store gift certificate

printer

Since it's elementary school, there are probably plenty of materials needed for projects, videos, software, etc. I think I'd ask teachers in the school what they would like to get a really really good idea.

Telescope would be a good idea -- BUT ---

Then eveyone would have to come back to *class* at night, to use it properly.

Would you ask those kids to go back to school at night, to use it?

And given teacher's salaries (these days), they would have to *volunteer* to come back after hours, without pay.

Also - only one student at a time can use the microscope, whereas the entire class can enjoy the vcr, or dvd all at once. icon_smile.gif:)-->

do they need some books? boarders book stores has teacher discounts, so if you give teach a gift certificate for the classroom to boarders your $$ will go further than just the face value...

ditto for staples office supplies store...

good microscopes are expensive - $150 won't get you much...

do they still do recess? how about some playground equipment?

do they still do storytime or have a quiet reading area in the room? maybe some floor pillows, bookcases, mats, etc. to make the space a little nicer and more comfortable...

are any of their classroom fixtures - american flag, state flag, etc. old or need replacing?

computer equipment - you could get a decent scanner for them (and again, teachers get discounts with hp, apple, dell, etc. for these things) or maybe there's some software they need...

I'm sure if you check with the teachers they can tell you - teachers in those grade levels spend a lot of their own money for things for the classroom - i'm sure they'd appreaciate anything you can do to help them!

Shell...you might want to check with the school before buying a digital camera.

A. they might already have one

B. there are problems with posting student pictures on the internet sometimes, so you would need to check with the principal