GreaseSpot Cafe

The Face of Squirrels, is- entitled

Ham

Oh yeah, that really was funny. And thanks for this thread, for I was finally inspired to take the time to write that one down. I have a little archive of short stories that have happened to me and my family which I want the kids to have when we grown ups are dead and gone. And now that one is safely written down...

We had generational town squirells,the nut tree was very old and they had an established clan. they are no match for a cat even an outdoor alley cat like mine was at the time.

they do tag team fight as well and scream for more troops when it gets dicey. They never attacked other than throwing the nuts but we had a glass porch and sometimes when we left the door open they would get in the porch that is when the cat attacked and cornered the mother of the babies and she won, the vet had to shave him to find out where the blood was coming from and he had small puncture wounds all over his skin from bites and the claws. I think maybe country squirells will run away, all I know is we moved to get away from that dam tree and its gang of furry rats from hell.

Why yes Trefor! I have it safely squirreled away! How could I have missed my opportunity like that? I must have smoked too much dope in high school!

And MJ, those squirrels sound like they were wicked bunch. You should write a screenplay like the movie "Willard". Maybe you could call it "Squillard"? Moohoohaha! Mooohooohahaha! Mmmoooohhhoooohahahahaha!

quote:
About 2 1/2 years ago i was at a jobsite when I saw a baby squirrel fall from a third story eave and crush his skull. There was no mama around and he was still breathing so I took him home and fed him for a few months. He healed pretty good over time (except that he runs in counterclockwise circles alot)but never had instruction in squirrel living--I had to coax him to climb trees and get his own food and tried to cut him off from me before he got too dependant

I put Rocky out about 2 years ago but he still lives in the neighborhood, comes looking for a handout nearly everyday and loves to play.

only you dear mstar

okay back to reading

and i never saw a black squirrel until i went to visit my brother in stuyvesant town, they're all over

oh i've never seen a red one in person

• Upvote 1

quote:
my dog (mostly wippet sp?) caught one not too long ago and then she and my other dog kind of played catch with it

Cats do this too. I don't know what it is, but once it stops moving, it just isn't as much fun- so they have to just make believe, I guess..

Maybe once the dogs actually catch one of these hellish, chittering demons, they need to take advantage of the moment, heh heh.

I have a small table on my back deck, that I put out bread for the squirrels. Today I added the peanut butter, and the pieces of bread weren't there for even 5 minutes, before a squirrel came bounding through the tree branches, and landing on the deck.

Usually - they eat the bread - but this time -- the squirrel ate all the peanut butter, part of the bread, threw the rest away, and went for more peanut butter on the other pieces.

He/she was there for about 2 minutes, when a blue jay showed up as well as 4 or 5 seagulls -- all vying for the same food. Squirrel fends off the blue jay, grabs the last piece of bread, and eludes the seagulls.

Wonder if it stuck to the roof of his mouth, like it does for me? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

OK Johnny, apparently, they loved it. I put a sizeable portion on a couple slices of bread, stepped out of the shop for just a little bit, and when I came back, it was GONE. Unfortunately, I was not treated to watching whatever frenetic activity took place.

Well, it looks like it will be feeding squirrels on the cheap from now on..