GreaseSpot Cafe

The Face of Squirrels, is- entitled

Ham

Maybe this belongs in the silly column, I will let someone more qualified than me to determine this, but-

I came to work this morning, like most other mornings, and found, Squirrels. Not particularily mean, not breathing fire, but at the window, standing practically at attention and waiting.

I felt sorry for them because of the bad winter we had last year, and started feeding them walnuts. Shelled walnuts.

What started as an amusing diversion for a sometimes boring workday has turned into a potential nightmare. I think they have babies..

Only two of them come for feed now, but they would devour a whole pound of shelled walnuts per day if I could afford it.

Now, every morning, I find myself confronted with two angry, egotistical, "you really oughta do something about your 'problem' of not feeding us enough" squirrels.

If they weren't cute, they wouldn't stand a chance, heh heh.

I love squirrels. I once raised a baby squirrel whose mother must have died. He was the sweetest little thing. I used to take him outside and put him in trees to try and teach him how to live in the wild and he would run down the tree and climb up my leg and sit on my shoulder - he didn't want anything to do with those trees.

Yep.. I like these guys too- or rather, this "couple".

One of them looked pretty scruffy last year, his coat was pretty worn. A steady diet of nutmeats seems to have greatly improved his condition.

These are the only ones that come to the window. Either they are very territorial, or very good at keeping a secret.

About 2 1/2 years ago i was at a jobsite when I saw a baby squirrel fall from a third story eave and crush his skull. There was no mama around and he was still breathing so I took him home and fed him for a few months. He healed pretty good over time (except that he runs in counterclockwise circles alot)but never had instruction in squirrel living--I had to coax him to climb trees and get his own food and tried to cut him off from me before he got too dependant

I put Rocky out about 2 years ago but he still lives in the neighborhood, comes looking for a handout nearly everyday and loves to play.

Trefor, they are old fashioned red squirrels. I have seen a few black ones around here, but no gray ones.

Dave, I put out sunflower seeds a few times, then even a couple of almonds. They were heart broken, heh heh. Back to walnuts. Well, it won't be much longer, they should be able to fend for themselves as spring progresses.

But the squirrels are pretty rough around here. My exes mom recently refused to feed them, and the squirrel urinated on her through the screen. Maybe it was just looking for an excuse, heh heh.

They are persistent little buggers, too! Ever watched them try to get into a "squirrel proof" bird feeder? icon_biggrin.gif:D--> I didn't realize they get impatient with their human feeders, too, Mr. H.

My front yard has a huge oak tree and it is home to not a few squirrels. My dog fights them every year for the acorns that fall on the ground, but I think the squirrels win.

quote:
Dave, I put out sunflower seeds a few times, then even a couple of almonds. They were heart broken, heh heh. Back to walnuts. Well, it won't be much longer, they should be able to fend for themselves as spring progresses.

Time to wean them off the *caviar*, and let em get used to *bologna sandwiches*. nono5.gif

Sometimes I'll tear up a couple pieces of bread, and toss that on the table too. They can't eat that fast enough. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hammer,

Buy a sack of hard corn and give them a handful per day. Try weaning them off walnuts by gradually increasing the corn/walnut ratio. The hard corn should be real cheap at a feed store and they should be happy with it. I have friends that feed it to ground squirrels and they love it.

I saw this British documentary on TV about squirrels being able to outsmart any contraption that people put up to keep them out of bird feeders.

They also set up elaborate mazes and contraptions for the squirrels to find their way through to reach food and they always figured it out.

In Del Mar, CA there's a little park at the top of a cliff overlooking the ocean and people feed squirrels there. I recall seeing one of them that was SO FAT. He was the FATTEST squirrel I EVER SAW.

I had black walnut trees in my back yard.

We had the rats amass, yeah I fed them from the trees that are over two hundred years old already, they would throw them at us if we sat in the yard to close to their tree's. I KNOW they can aim and hit ya.

that was one thing and then one fall a female had a late litter and threw her babies out of the nest to young to survive, (they have insticnt to harvest the winter nuts then not raise babies) so I picked them up and took them to rehab,( they screamed on top of their lungs while on the ground ) she attacked my cat and cost me a hefty vet bill as he went into shock.

I hope they do not get into your house it costs us a grand one spring , as they had chewed a hole in the side and crept around the inside of the building , we had to wait till the babies got big enough to be trapped on the roof. NOISE? it sounded like a war zone in our walls. We trapped 19 lost two due to heat exposure or stress or something. We moved to a place with no nut trees.

My parents were humane agents and it seemed like we always had some weird critter living in the house with us...

We raised 3 baby squirrels and found that although they loved walnuts, peanuts, etc., they really had a passion for...

OREOS!

(And yes, they could unscrew them to eat the frosting first!)

Glad you liked it.. sometimes, these things just hit me, heh heh.

I read the statement somewhere again about the face of evil, and I was actually in more of a serious mood. Then I looked over at this squirrel- and that was exactly what it looked like. He was entitled, like, "what are you waiting for?"

If they weren't cute, well..

I think that's what happened to TWI, they lost their cuteness factor long ago. Don't see how anybody still throws their hard earned nuts that way, heh heh.

This goes way way back to my collage days. I was sitting by the building entrance and was studing. On the other side of the entrance was a guy feeding a squirrel some potato chips. When he ran out of chips the squirrel barked at him for more. When no more came he lifted his leg on the guys foot and then ran off.

I was laughing my foot off as the guy chased the squirrell.

Squirrels are nothing but tree rats.