GreaseSpot Cafe

sound of God's voice

mell

quote:
I'm not sure what they had in the 50's in VP's day, but they have pretty good medications and therapies for this type of thing now.

Mstar -- yes they do. One of *my guys* hears voices a lot (ie -- read schizophrenic) and he is on some powerful shi--- err *stuff*! to control it.

Only problem is -- you have to be medically diagnosed, in order to get this stuff. Dunno if it would have helped in the twi situation with vpw though.

To further derail . . .

"Mstar -- yes they do. One of *my guys* hears voices a lot (ie -- read schizophrenic) and he is on some powerful shi--- err *stuff*! to control it. "

I recently saw "A Beautiful Mind", about John Nash, a brilliant mathmetician who is schizophrenic. It was a very powerful movie.

So, if one follows a schizophrenic does one also become schizophrenic? You think I jest, but watching that movie - watching John Nash come to terms with the idea that his "reality" was not real for anyone else, that some of the people he knew did not even exist - reminded me of how I felt when I first left TWI.

I had panic attacks for about six months as I worked to sort out "TWI's reality" from the actual world I lived in.

I know what I experienced isn't quite the same as schizophrenia, but the emotion of it seemed very much like the emotions John Nash experienced as he learned to separate the visions and voices in his head from reality.

Interesting question Abi,

very interesting

I too had a lot of 'adjustments' to make when I got out that took me a few years to grasp.

i would think that being in any unwholesome and unreal environment would have its deliterious effects--especially when for some of us it was nearly all-encompassing at times.

There have been a number of people here that have come forward and spoken about their mental health issues after they left.

It might be interesting to do a poll someday to see how many expereinced panic attacks/depression/high anxiety/psychosis/ symptoms of bipolarity or schizophrenia or needed some sort of psychiatric care or psychological counselling after leaving the way.

Betcha a few bucks the percentages are pretty high

quote:
I know what I experienced isn't quite the same as schizophrenia, but the emotion of it seemed very much like the emotions John Nash experienced as he learned to separate the visions and voices in his head from reality.

Abi,

10-4 that one!!!!!!!

I viewed "A Beautiful Mind" about a year ago and can relate to what you are saying Abi. AND Nash handled his gig of realisation(s).

and and further derail

When my Dad died last Feb I began to have dreams about him of which I would tell my wife.

This was the first one~~~

My Dad is in the kitchen at the house looking out the window over the sink with his hands on the rim of the sink.

I said, "Dad?"

He looked at me, turned his back and walked straight into the living room and literally into the wall and vanished as I followed him.

I looked to my right~~~ and there he was standing behind his recliner in front of the picture window. Cutains opened but dark outside.

I said, "Dad?"

He was removing his watch from his left wrist as I was approaching him.

"Dad?"

I went to touch him and he clasped my hands together and placed his watch im my palms.

I looked to his hands on mine.

And then there was this voice.

It was my Mom's voice.

And her hands were on mine now.

"What are you doing in front of the window?"

I looked to the window,

The curtains were closed

Dad was not there.

I looked to my Mom

And showed her the watch that Dad gave me.

It was hers.

"What are you doing with my watch?"

My Wonderfull Ma-Ma will be 73 this june 10~~~

Go Figure.

Dreams are a reality in the mind when pertaining to such intimate subjects of life.

As far as hearing actual voices, I have heard my named called while sleeping at least once a year since 1990, and waking up to that voice.

Many a thing go on in the mind.

The mind can not distinguish reality from unreality.

It's an organ of thought process.

Consider the liver, the kidney, the heart, the lungs, the central nervous system, etc.

And especially for me the lungs. One can control the inhale and the exhale, but one does not have to think to breath. That part is is a given function of life.

There is more to life than meets the eyes.

And I still haven't found what I'm looking for~~~

Cheers to you Mell

Songster

"yeah he said something in "the class" along the lines "and he spoke to me clear as whatever just like i'm speaking to you now"

Good grief- and even I could believe the unbelievable at one time.

But I guess we had to swallow that one before "we should come to the realization that we owe our very lives to the ministry..."

Maybe he just CONVINCED himself that God really spoke to him. Easier to sell horse manure if you're convinced that its made of pure gold.

It might be interesting to do a poll someday to see how many expereinced panic attacks/depression/high anxiety/psychosis/ symptoms of bipolarity or schizophrenia or needed some sort of psychiatric care or psychological counselling after leaving the way.

You are probably familar with this already,but there is something in a diagnostic manual (DSM) called Post Cult Trauma Syndrome - anxiety, identity, and other problems.

http://www.refocus.org

scroll down to Post Cult Trauma, Mental Health Issues or

http://www.refocus.org/mental.htm

scroll down to The Majority Reaction

which has an explaination of what can happen to the psyche when a person leaves a group or organization and tries to re-enter society at large.

I sought help from a counselor to examine how much my exposure affected my life- the good, the bad and the ugly.

Is this derailing?

thanks

quote:
Is this derailing?

Well, hey its your thread...this seems to be the track that it has found...it only seems natural (to me) that if we start out talking about hearing the voice of God, that psychosis and mental illness will enter the conversation somewhere

great link...thanks for that....I wasn't aware that there was a condition with an actual name attached to it, but from my own experience, and other excultees I have run into, it certainly makes sense that there is one.

I'm not surprised at all, especially after the crap that was fed to us, that the mind and psyche go into fits and spasms for awhile.

I am glad that someone has actually taken the time to study it and enumerate the symptoms that people do go through, hopefully it may make someones readjustment to the real world a little easier...