GreaseSpot Cafe

have you ever been involved in ruining someone's marrage

coolchef1248 @adelphia.net

I'm not sure why you set this up as a poll, but . . .

When I was a twig leader, there was a woman in my twig that was married to a rank unbeliever. He was an alcoholic and emotionally abusive, as well as chronically underemployed.

She was going back and forth in her mind as to whether or not to divorce this creep, so I definitely helped push her to get a divorce, and I still think it was the best thing for her.

Of course, I don't think I contributed to her marriage being ruined - it had been ruined years before I met her, by alcohol.

On the contrary.

I was long out of TWI, and I can't go into details to protect the innocent.

It involved a drunken neighbor and talking him down from doing an exceedingly embarrassing and stupid act involving his wife and her academic friends.

A poll with one choice?

Okay.

'No'

I have performed over a dozen marriages, within our various fellowships and as many more with unbelievers outside of our fellowship [generally fellow servicemembers where I was serving as the Protestant Lay-Leader]. Of the couples that I 'married': one couple later ended in divorce, the majority of them are still together. Must have been 'good' glue.

I have counseled many men who were dealing with the outcome of divorce. Some of them, a few, it was 'during' the divorce proceedings. Mostly it was always long after the divorce had been finalized, when the husband learned of the divorce.

We have counseled one female about divorce. She has of that one couple that I had married that later divorced. She was in sontinuous contact with us, immediately after the wedding. Then we lost contact with her for a few years, then when we resumed communications with her, she was already divorced. We did give her counsel in dealing with life after a divorce. In her case, she did meet and eventually marry a different man. Bonnie attended her second wedding nnd was among the bride's maids.

I dont recall ever counseling anyone to get a divorce. I will have to ask Bonnie to see if I am spacing someone.

"... was a twig leader i was instructed by leader**** to encourage divorce to a couple in our twid i did do this and they divorced."

I lead fellowships, both at sea and in our home. I was a twig coordinator. I dont recall any leadership instructing us regarding anyone's divorce, or marriage.

Once a LC did loan me TWI's course on performing weddings. I still have a copy.

I did have a couple dis-agreements with WC concerning which couples I should be performing the ceremony for. And I have posted long detailed descriptions of each WC and what idiots they were at the time.

I wasn't involved, but I do remember during Y2K and again during hurricane scares that we were setting up "safe" homes for people to go to if there was trouble.

One girl in our branch is married to someone who has absolutely nothing to do with TWI, but to my knowledge has never spoken evil of them, just doesn't care for them. The wc, including Moneyhands, told this woman that she was welcome to go to X's home for protection should she need it, but her "rank unbelieving" husband was not welcome because he would endanger the lives of all the other believers and didn't deserve the "protection of the household".

Many other things along this line were said to this woman. Why she sticks around, I'll never know.

'WC leadership' would normally come around each year, soon after the annual placements, to 'visit' the twigs [assuming that they could find them]. This was the only time that they usually ever met the followers and learned their names. It was certainly the only time they ever came around to 'visit'.

Otherwise you were generally 'safe', until the annual Limb Meeting, where the WC did all their recrutiment for WOW and WC. Outside of those two annual occasions our Twig members were generally safe from any WC knowing them or being able to recognize them on the street.

Unless I attended a Twig Coordinator's Meeting [often a monthly branch level meeting, but some times a Limb level ordeal, and in later years they held these things weekly] and if I volunteered my people's names. Then I dont see how the WC would ever know who those people were.

Or if I was stupid enough to volunteer what problems some couple was having. Then WC could have knowledge. But to me, such was none of their business. I would not violate what I would consider 'lock-box'. Just because some demanding bone-head wore a WC ring.

Maybe it was just my training via the military, but a secret is a secret. And as such only people who have some effect on it, or who must know so that they can do their jobs, should ever be told.

Functioning as a minister, in a fellowship, if those people feel safe to confide in me, then great. If they dont that is okay too. But should I violate that trust, why would they ever trust me again?

:-)

BettyBoop:

quote:
I lead fellowships, both at sea and in our home. I was a twig coordinator. I dont recall any leadership instructing us regarding anyone's divorce, or marriage.

My spouse was told many times by leader**** to divorce me but never did.

Just to clarify things, were these 'leaders' WC or were they Joe Believer Twig-Coordinators.

Edited by ET1 SS

quote:
One girl in our branch is married to someone who has absolutely nothing to do with TWI, but to my knowledge has never spoken evil of them, just doesn't care for them. The wc, including Moneyhands, told this woman that she was welcome to go to X's home for protection should she need it, but her "rank unbelieving" husband was not welcome because he would endanger the lives of all the other believers and didn't deserve the "protection of the household".

What a *loving, kind, and considerate* outfit we got sucked into, eh?? Am wondering how they would have treated Rahab the harlot and her family, had they been in Joshua's shoes, hmmm???

David

Yeppers! And they would probably react worse than the priest and the Levite from Luke 10 who walked past the man who had been robbed and beaten. They would have spit on the man and kicked him while he was down for not believing to be safe and protected from thieves and physical harm. Good Samaritans they ain't!

quote:
Originally posted by coolchef1248@adelphia.net:

when i was encouraged to get my friends divorced it came from wc. [deleted]

I would not worry about it.

I have named names since first visiting GraseSpot Cafe when I was on EzBoards.

Yes I know that some will say otherwise, but have it is not slander if it is your honest testimony to what happened to you.

Each SOB that screwed me, I name [if I can recall their names], and everytime that I read someone else' post about one of those guys, I jump in with my testimony. No body has booted me off GS yet.

[Thanks Paw your so cool!!!}

Edited by moddishwasher

I was apart of a "reproof session" for my TC. I was the assistant and I was there with the BC and LC. They were already having problems before this though, it wasn't like it was a twi created problem. I was asked to say something and i did give some advise.

They ended up getting divorsed, the husband left twi and the wife stayed but was later kicked out for something that someone who was staying at her house did to her kid (supposesdly). They blamed her.

I saw the husband a few months ago. He is happily re-married and seemed like he was doing well.

I still feel bad about sitting in that uncomfortable meeting. I was friends with the husband and didn't see him after that (untill recently). I shouldn't have been there.