GreaseSpot Cafe

What Happened To My Thread?

J0nny Ling0

David it is really good to see you post on another thread. I hope eventually you will look around and become more comfortable here.

Your thread was temporarily moved to a forum about health, healing etc down the list. It was in a forum "Greasespot health/get fit/eat right discussions". It is now back in the Open Forum where you began it.

Nice try Krys. After my posting here the person who pulled the plug on the thread I started sent me an email stating that she had put it in the archives because she just hated me being bashed so much. So I replied that, if she could, she'd probably ban the bible from being published because bible bashing is still a popular sport, and has been ever since the printing press first printed it in 1450 A.D.. Who knows, without the Pope and other authority figures enjoying their monopoly, the printing press might have been invented hundreds of years before that time.

The trouble is that the thread I started was pulled during the four hours I spent composing a reply to Linda Z's question of why I suposedly called you arrogant- and four hours of my time is therefore lost.

So my question, pertinent to this thread, is weither or not the moderators of this forum have the ability to read posts as they are being composed. If so, they can just yank the thread if they really don't like the composition, and so they become the ultimate censors, looking over one's shoulder even as he writes.

I did look at the oxygenated water thread since reading your post above and my last reply on the thread that I started is not there. Since you're evidently a moderator (the person who pulled the thread stated that pulling it was discussed on the moderators forum subsequent to my post on this thread- otherwise I find it incredible that you would have found where it was archived so fast and posted the location on this thread after saying you were through with that thread), perhaps you can retrieve the composition I was in the process of posting, and post it to the thread I started.

As for your evident assumption that I don't read other threads because I don't post to them, that assumption is wrong- just like the assumption is wrong that the 10,165 views of the thread I started are no more people than those that contributed the 605 posts- a large number of them, posted by relatively few people, adding no substance to the discussion at all- including those who post that I'm worthless, or somehow derilect, because I don't generally post to other threads.

Now if all the moderators would get together and decide to allow the originator of a thread to pull the thread as well as themselves, or at least edit out the irrelevant (in their view) material from it, then we'd see how many people still read it for content and how many just wanted to bash- sort of like kicking a person out of a church service or bible study aught not be religated merely to the "leader" but include the owner of the house or church where it is being held. Then we'd see who was arrogant and who was not! Better yet, how about a list of moderators to this site being published, complete with real names and addresses, so we could visit them like we do the neighbors. Annonymous posters and readers are one thing, annonymous censors are something else entirely. With privilege sould come some measure of responsibility commensurate with the privilege.

David,

quote:
So my question, pertinent to this thread, is weither or not the moderators of this forum have the ability to read posts as they are being composed. If so, they can just yank the thread if they really don't like the composition, and so they become the ultimate censors, looking over one's shoulder even as he writes.

LOL!!!!!!! I think I'll go edit the constitution for laughs and giggles.

This may be futile, but I just want to give it one more chance...living in peace with you, Mr. Anderson.

quote:
So my question, pertinent to this thread, is weather or not the moderators of this forum have the ability to read posts as they are being composed. If so, they can just yank the thread if they really don't like the composition, and so they become the ultimate censors, looking over one's shoulder even as he writes.

I'm sorry your post got lost. Most of us at one time or other have had posts vanish into the ether. Sometimes I compose a post in Word and then copy it over to be sure I don't lose it. I don't believe anyone has the ability to read posts as they are being prepared for the simple reason that the forums are so large, and at various times quite active. I don't think it's physically possible to do that.

quote:
I did look at the oxygenated water thread since reading your post above and my last reply on the thread that I started is not there. Since you're evidently a moderator (the person who pulled the thread stated that pulling it was discussed on the moderators forum subsequent to my post on this thread- otherwise I find it incredible that you would have found where it was archived so fast and posted the location on this thread after saying you were through with that thread), perhaps you can retrieve the composition I was in the process of posting, and post it to the thread I started.

There is no way I could be a moderator at this site. Absolutely none. I knew where to look for a thread that appears to go missing because I’ve been here at these forums for years and I know my way around them well. It happens from time to time that threads get moved and go to archives or the soap opera.

quote:
As for your evident assumption that I don't read other threads because I don't post to them, that assumption is wrong- just like the assumption is wrong that the 10,165 views of the thread I started are no more people than those that contributed the 605 posts- a large number of them, posted by relatively few people, adding no substance to the discussion at all- including those who post that I'm worthless, or somehow derilect, because I don't generally post to other threads.

I didn’t assume anything. I meant what I said. One never knows if somebody reads a thread unless they post on it or maybe make reference to it somewhere else. I’ve always maintained that it would be good if you would take an active interest in more of the going’s on here so I was truly happy to see your post.

quote:
The trouble is that the thread I started was pulled during the four hours I spent composing a reply to Linda Z's question of why I suposedly called you arrogant- and four hours of my time is therefore lost.

I wish you had written that post in Word because I still can’t figure out why you are so hostile to me. I was one of the ones who asked that everybody lighten up on the Saturated Water thread…and…after my faux pas in December it wasn’t more than a day or so before I realized my error and corrected it so it’s hard for me to understand why I would now be an object of such obvious scorn….and perhaps that post would have explained it. I’m also sorry for the 4 hours of your time which was lost. I hate losing time…it’s the only thing which when once invested can never be reclaimed.

Wow. Looks like I touched on a nerve there. But I would like to say that I didn't really appreciate having my thread switched to a different section without even a word about it.

I don't recall Pawtucket doing that, but rather some of the other moderators. Personally, I thought it was rude. I think I liked this place better when it was less censored.

David: I haven't read your thread, except for a few random posts. I drink tap water most of the time. But more to the point of this thread, I don't think I've ever spent four hours writing a post, so I can't really relate to how frustrating that might be to lose it. Then again, I can't relate to much else that you wrote, either.

Did you really say this?

quote:
Better yet, how about a list of moderators to this site being published, complete with real names and addresses, so we could visit them like we do the neighbors. Annonymous posters and readers are one thing, annonymous censors are something else entirely. With privilege sould come some measure of responsibility commensurate with the privilege.

With nutcases like you around, making nutty recommendations like this, it wouldn't be "responsibility" they were taking. It would be an unnecessary risk. I've often wondered why moderators don't identify themselves. Now I know.

David, quit complaining and post on your thread already. It's in the Open Forum, right? So what's all the noise about -- because some moderator thought she was looking out for you by moving it to spare you being "bashed," you take that as an invitation to do some bashing of your own? I don't get it.

I'd say more, but I'd better hit "Post Now" before Paw reads this and changes something I've written, while I'm typing it, before it hits the forums. Plus I'm three hours and forty-five minutes into composing this, and don't want you all to lose out, in case it doesn't make the cut.

Okay. So, "housekeeping" it is. That is not such a big deal to me. But, it really would be nice to have some idea of what happened to my thread after it was placed somewhere more appropriate or whatever. And, it really does suck if it is moved to a category that isn't read very much...

That was funny, satori. Did you misplace your Black's Law Dictionary yet again? But, hey, with such an articulately stated, well-informed command of the law (which I'm sure it was, before the moderators put their fingers on your keyboard), I doubt you'll ever have to testify against yourself (or even invoke your free speech) if it comes to that. Unless GreaseSpot qualifies as a time of war or public danger. I suspect it does.

Um, Jonny, only one hour passed from the time that you asked where your thread was until Garth answered. Was it really that tough to find? When I can't find one of my posts, I look in my profile to see where it went. Unless the search function isn't working. Then I just go through the forums, if it's that important. But I don't dedicate a thread to my search. I don't really understand why this is a big deal.

David,

So you want names and numbers?

Well, previously posters moderated and we found that people would take them to task about their moderating and then about their postings.

The anonymity allows moderators to post freely and then moderate. I have no intention to reveal their identities. This system works very well. And I feel that the flow works better since the moderators have come on board. They owe NOTHING for the privilege. They DESERVE to be able to do what they want at GS when they are not moderating without having to hassle with posters that won't afford them their privacy.

The moderators are doing an excellent job, in my opinion. The communication level is much better. The moderators are who you can thank for GS continuing, I would not be able to do it by myself.

So David, you have had your thread back for over a day, why not pick up where you left off, instead trying to get our phone numbers?

Hey Jonny, sorry to have brought the hecklers out to respond to your simple question. I guess it's the price of admission to this forum. But it did bring others aw well and so we now have some answers that we didn't have before:

1. Can moderators view posts as they are being written? No

2.Can we know who the moderators are? No

3.Is Krysilis a moderator? No

4.Can the originator of a thread pull it if he's not a moderator? No

5.Can Pawtucket run this site without moderators? No

6. Do moderators have to notify the originator of a thread that it was pulled and where it was placed? No

7. Is moving threads simply a matter of good housekeeping? No

8. Will I be starting any other threads given these rules? No

This is a very difficult site to manage for many reasons:

• It's a site primarily for ex-twi folks. Ex-twi folks have had it up to here with heavy-handed control. Anything that feels similar at all (like deleting posts/threads) pushes buttons.
  • The legal issues alone are enough to keep several moderators worn out. It's well known that twi watches this site. Names, details, implications, and such must be constantly moderated.
  • Privacy is of utmost importance. Not only because twi watches this site and puts pressure on innie family/friends of posters, but also for things like personal safety, jobs, and just plain respect and sensitivity.
  • The traffic here is mind-boggling when one considers that this site is owned and operated by volunteers.
  • The owner of the site cares as much as he possibly can about people's hearts. This makes everything more difficult. We must be allowed to work things out, but we also must be able to feel comfortable that we're not going to face twi-like harshness, bitterness, ridicule, shame, etc.

These are just some of the things that have to be considered when operating this site.

I have owned and operated a couple of message boards in my day. I didn't know what I was doing. Ex-twi (myself included) and innie twi folks trashed everybody they could on those boards. One board (an EZBoard) was closed down by EZBoard (my own fault). Others I voluntarily shut down either because things got so bad on other participants or because I just didn't want to do the job any longer.

I've participated on ex-twi message boards from trance.chat to WayDale and through both incarnations of GSC. I've been banned. I've been unbanned. I've had posts moderated or removed. I've had whole threads moderated or removed.

I didn't like it. It's no fun. Even though most of the time it was done because I was a bad girl, I still felt like I was back in twi or something. It still doesn't feel good.

But I got over it...and I do get over it...because at the end of the day it's not anybody on these boards that's putting their arms around me and saying goodnight.

Ya know?