GreaseSpot Cafe

Main Site.

pawtucket

The main site http://www.greasespotcafe.com will be down during parts of this weekend as we transfer the main site to a new server.

The main site will become an archived site with all files intact over the next 3 months. We are working on a new design that should premiere sometime in the next 3 months.

The forums will be getting an uplift also. During the upgrade of the forums, we will close them for a day or two and have another forum that you can use during the downtime. This is to address some of the ongoing problems that our current provider doesn't seem capable of solving.

We are working on a method to better display your photos. We have tried a few programs, but have yet to find one that would be appropriate for GS. If anyone has any ideas we would welcome them

The current forum has been in existence since 2002 and the main site even longer, so we are overdue a makeover.

The new forums will give us the reins. If we want 200,000 posts, then we will have them. And the new site will have a fresh new approach to telling the other side of the story.

As you know, GS has numerous talented moderators now, this has allowed me to pursue upgrading the site. They have added to the value of GS, in my opinion by increasing the communication amongst all of us. I am extremely grateful for their presence.

Paw - Does this moving to a new server mean more or less actual work for you personally once the move is completed? I don't know much about this, but it sounds to me like that at least for the next few months you'll be working heavily on the changes.

Is there still a button somewhere on this site that we can click on to get to a page where we can send donations to help with the costs of running this site? I understand it costs plenty on a monthly basis.

The addition of the photo forum is such a treat. Again, thanks so much for keeping it all going.

The transfer was a success. If you have a problem viewing http://www.greasespotcafe.com then try refreshing when you get to that page

Bow,

There's a button hidden somewhere around here.

I will be working quite a bit behind the scenes to make the transitions as seamless as possible. The site transfer is going to reduce some of the site costs.

quote:
Who are the moderators, if you don't mind if I ask (so we'll know not to blow them off when they're moderating)?
All of the current moderators have opted to be anonymous, that is, we use one handle when posting, and a different one when moderating. This allows us to separate our duties as moderators from our posting.

Generally, a moderator has "mod" prefixed to the rest of the handle, like this one: MODdishwasher. Moderators have the ability to edit other peoples' posts.

As pawtucket stated, we are volunteers. Each of us is a long-standing GS posters who has donated part of his/her time to helping keep GS up and running.

quote:
Originally posted by Raf:

I want it to be known that I am most definitely not one of the moderators here.

Yeah! Cause if he was, he'd have green skin and pointy ears, and then we would *really* hafta call him an alien. .......

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

((running and ducking))