GreaseSpot Cafe

Frith (or is it furth?) Annual Weenie Roast

herbiejuan

Belle, thanks for posting the links. I think we want to stay in the Lexington area - preferable within say 45 minutes of Lexington.

I can't drive all the way to West Virginia with the little ones - too far away.

The other link looks good, but it doesn't look like they have camp grounds.

The ideal would have camp grounds and cabins, that way those who want to share a cabin can, those who want to bring tents or campers can.

Not asking much, am I? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was looking at Natural Bridge Park earlier today. However, Cave City could be cool too.

Before we decide, we need to check on airports and bus stations for those who may want to fly or bus in. If Cave City is relatively close to access for plane and/or bus, then Cave City it is. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Cave City? You're talking my neck of the woods. If I can do anything to help, pt me. I can drive up and check out locations.

Mammoth Cave is awesome. There are also enough cheesy tourist attractions and souvenier shops to satisfy even the most discriminating traveler.

Wigwam Village is pretty neat. Individual rooms shaped like wigwams. My parents honeymooned there 40+ years ago.

Sounds great wwjla....does this mean that you can attend too? WOOOHOOO!

Sounds wonderfull....are we all agreed then that ky is the most advantagious for those who wish to attend?

Damn it Oak.... we NEED you at the roast.....sigh

I`d like to vote that it be near an attraction like the land bridge or the caves ...you know something that I normally wouldn`t get to see.

Sudo... am looking forward to seeing you AND your stew pot again :-)

quote:
Originally posted by dmiller:

Quick question here.

If we all kicked in a few bucks, would that get Oak and Reiki to the Roast??

I'm in, if it'll help them get there. icon_smile.gif:)-->

David

I appreciate the thought, but it's timing, as well as money.

We are getting married in mid-September, this means time off from work, as well as all the attendant expenses.

We are moving shortly before that. More expenses, more time off from work.

In addition to time off from my job, Reikilady has just started a new job. Bosses just love new employees taking a lot of time off icon_razz.gif:P--> She also is committed to working at a trade show in Omaha that weekend, which I am assisting.

In the past several years I have used a lot of my disposable income for travelling: Two Weenie Roasts, three trips to New York, The ! wedding and another visit to Chicago for my son's graduation from Naval basic training, as well as a 4000-mile tour that brought me to 12 cities in 14 days, to visit family and GSers.

This year the priority was twofold: save up for moving and marriage, and get out of debt. In a few weeks I will have made the final payment on a mountain of credit card debt that has been weighing me down for seven years. I've accelerated the payments in order to be debt-free by mid-August.

So, yeah, I'd love to be there, and I'll miss youse guys, but maybe next year for the frith wink2.gif;)-->

dmiller,

Thanks, but I've been here before...it's just been awhile. :-) It's nice to be back with old friends.

TomStrange, hiya. Good to see you. Been hit by any good snowballs lately?

I'm up for anyplace that's not hot. It will be fairly warm in the south in October and I'm up for some cool weather. Mebbe Herbijuan wants to carpool?

Ya'll will pick a nice place, I'm sure. I don't have a lot of time to do the deciding so I will trust you all. I appreciate those of you who have the time to look up all these sites and make the arrangements. If I can help out in another way at another time, I will. I can't wait to see some of my old buddies.

Hugs!

Cave City is about an hour south of Louisville, right off I-65. Of course, Mammoth Cave is out in the country, another 30 minutes or so, but it's not a hard drive. Louisville is probably the closest major city to fly into. Glasgow, KY is within 5 or so miles of Cave City, and I'm pretty sure most bus lines go through there, if not Cave City itself.

Bowling Green is about 45 minutes south of Cave City and does have a small airport, but you'd probably fly into Louisville or Nashville and catch a puddle jumper if you want to fly in that close. Bowling Green also has the Corvette Museum.

I would recommend making a decision as soon as possible, as that time of year will be near peak fall season and the cabins will fill up pretty quickly. As I remember, there are quite a few cabins around Mammoth Cave and a nice lodge there too. Couldn't find one official site for Mammoth Cave, but there are several good ones.

quote:
So does everyone agree on Jellystone? Hey Boo Boo?

quote:
If everyone agrees we could start calling and making reservations.

Ummm that's why I'm the benevolant dictator, we can't agree on much of anything, let alone when where n how

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

But the man behind the curtain has spoken Jellystoned it is wink2.gif;)--> (thank gawd they aren't fire engine red !!)

icon_eek.gif

Jellystone would be fine and probably have more for kids to do. Keep in mind it will be a few miles away from the park itself. If people really want to stay within the park, you can go to foreverlodging.com and check out lodging in the hotel or the cabins they have at the park.

Let me know if I can help set anything up. If I dont' end up camping there, it's certainly close enough for me to get up there during the days.

Since y'all rule out the gorgeous, comfortable, beautiful, pleasant and friendly Ozarks, how about near where LittleHawk lives in Kentucky. I hear he lives just a mile or so from Knob Creek and I've been wanting to do that some October, too.

Just an idea.