GreaseSpot Cafe

Prayers for the Gulf Coast (Katrina)

Raf

quote:
Shellon posted a faulty (extra “.” in the url) link to a list of government offices. I emphasized then and again when you referenced it that people shouldn’t call them.

I called them again this morning to check. Found out about another relative.

The url doesn't work; that is correct.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Originally posted by Psalm 71 one:

A GS friend of mine told me via email that she was staying in New Orleans. I don't know whether she stayed in her home or not. We communicated via email, and I don't have her phone number. I emailed mine to her Sunday night, but if she didn't get to her email before Katrina hit, she has no way of contacting me. I'm worried about her and don't know how to find out if she's okay. Suggestions anyone?

Psalmie, My local paper recommended the website of the The Times-Picayune for anyone seeking information. The website has all the local New Orleans coverage, plus discussion forums. I don't know if they have a list of names or not, but the forums might help if you ask for information about the neighborhood she lives in.

I hope you soon hear news of your friend.

Raf,

I'm glad you did ok thru the storm, I was thinking of you and praying for you at the time.

I am devastated by the reports of the damage to New Orleans, Miss., and Ala., as well as Fla. & the rest of the south. I can't imagine how awful it must be.

I haven't had time to read all the posts but for people who want to do something, PRAY, and donate to the American Red Cross. They need money to get things there RIGHT AWAY. Later on, we can worry with getting clothing and other 'items' there. With no way to get it there now, the Red Cross is the way to go.

Thanks for starting this thread. How horrible. I was a wow in N.O. in the area of Metarie where the levy was breached. I can picture it all in my mind. I think NONE of us can even imagine how horrific things will become when those dead bodies and dead animals begin to rot...and the place becomes absolutely toxic.

God help them all.

Love ya lots, Raf. Hang in there, my friend.

hugs,

Robes

Thank-you Shellon, Linda and Laleo. I am/will be trying your suggestions. I don't know which parish she lives in. I do know where she works, and think that is the reason she stayed, as that place would be in a role of helping in the aftermath. I haven't called that work number for several reasons--I'll PT you if you want to know more. (I have evidently given LG the impression I am selfish and don't want to spoil that image he has of me if I were to 'splain my reasons here)

I WILL NOT CALL ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCIES TO FIND MY FRIEND! I WILL NOT CALL ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCIES TO FIND MY FRIEND! I WILL NOT CALL ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCIES TO FIND MY FRIEND! I WILL NOT CALL ANY GOVERNMENT AGENCIES TO FIND MY FRIEND!

icon_razz.gif:P-->

Edited by Psalm 71 one

Psalmie,

I never suggested that you would call any government agencies for any reason. I never thought that you were selfish or suggested that you were selfish. I never questioned or criticized your desires or reasons, which are perfectly clear and understandable.

My comments about Shellon's advice were only about that advice, and not about you. I honestly don't understand why you were offended.

Anyway, I wish you well, hope you find out about your friend soon, and hope that what you find will be good news. If I come across any information about places you might check, I will post it here.

Psalm, there has been given alot of links here and ways to perhaps get in touch with someone who might know something.

You need not follow just mine or any of the MANY OTHER LINKS listed here. This is America, you can do whatever you want.

If you need to find your friend,that's it, you need to find your friend.

However you do...just do. What I did to find out information on my neice might not work for you. What I did to find info on my sister in law.. same thing.

You do what is right for you!

Psalm: Have you heard from your friend?

Here's another idea courtesy of the local paper. They recommmend phoning the Red Cross at (877)741-1444. They say that the Red Cross has volunteers to take down information about whomever you're looking for and the Red Cross will match that information to their lists of those staying at Red Cross shelters.

Worth a try, if you haven't heard from her. Let's hope she's among the 78,000 who are safe in the shelters.

No word from my friend. I have called her work number several times-- lines are too jammed up. I've emailed both her personal addy and herplace of work-- nothing. I have called the Red Cross, nothing yet. I have a friend now helping me do more searching via internet.

I don't know what else to do at this time. I am starting to fear the worst. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Keep that hope alive, Psalmie!!

Just yesterday a guy from down here was in a small MS town where there were lots of survivors who had absolutely no contact with the outside world. He let them take turns using his cell phone till the battery ran out.

They were ALL calling relatives for the first time to tell them they were okay! icon_smile.gif:)--> This was yesterday, Psalmie! Your friend could be noplace near a phone or so busy taking care of others that she hasn't been able to contact anyone. I'm praying with you for the best!

I thought Good Morning America said that they had a place on their site where you could go to look for survivors, but I couldn't find it this morning. A lot of local newspapers do have message boards and links set up for that. The Times Picayune does, I know. (Don't tell my relatives that I can't remember how to spell Picayune, though).

Thanks, Belle. I found out about a site called craigslist.com, that had a bulletin board looking for folks. She's not there.

She probably doesn't have my phone number with her, if she escaped with her life. I will have to find her somehow, cuz I don't think she can find me. My hubbya and I are setting up a place for her if we find her. (If she doesn't need it, we'll put someone else up, but I'd like to try everything first in trying to reach her)

I'll check the Times Picayune next.

Any word from gc yet?

Psalmie: While "selfish" may not have been the best word choice to describe someone who cares about and is looking for a missing friend, the tone is matter-of-fact.

For what it's worth, it reads to me as if he's trying to be informative and helpful, not condemning.