GreaseSpot Cafe

Prayers for the Gulf Coast (Katrina)

Raf

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard on the news on the way home that the airports are underwater and portions of I-10 are disintegrating.

The Governor has just issued an evacuation emergency for the entire city. She wants EVERYONE out because of the tenuous situation with the levies.

Geez, this is terrible.

J.

quote:
Mayor Ray Nagin issued an urgent bulletin through WWL-TV at 6:30 p.m.

Nagin said efforts to stop the flow of water at the breach on the 17th Street Canal are failing, which means the floodwaters will rise again.

Nagin said the waters will soon overwhelm the pump, shutting it down. He said the water will rise to 3 feet above sea level - or 12-15 feet in some places of east Jefferson and Orleans parishes.

Nagin has advised residents who have not already evacuated to do so as soon as possible.

The best converage I've seen about NO is from the Times-Picayune web site. They have continual updates. http://www.nola.com

This is unbelievable -

(August 30) - Law enforcement efforts to contain the emergency left by Katrina slipped into chaos in parts of New Orleans Tuesday with some police officers and firefighters joining looters in picking stores clean.

At the Wal-Mart on Tchoupitoulas Street, an initial effort to hand out provisions to stranded citizens quickly disintegrated into mass looting. Authorities at the scene said bedlam erupted after the giveaway was announced over the radio.

While many people carried out food and essential supplies, others cleared out jewelry racks and carted out computers, TVs and appliances on handtrucks.

Some officers joined in taking whatever they could, including one New Orleans cop who loaded a shopping cart with a compact computer and a 27-inch flat screen television.

Officers claimed there was nothing they could do to contain the anarchy, saying their radio communications have broken down and they had no direction from commanders.

“We don’t have enough cops to stop it,” an officer said. “A mass riot would break out if you tried.”

Inside the store, the scene alternated between celebration and frightening bedlam. A shirtless man straddled a broken jewelry case, yelling, “Free samples, free samples over here.”

Another man rolled a mechanized pallet, stacked six feet high with cases of vodka and whiskey. Perched atop the stack was a bewildered toddler.

Throughout the store and parking lot, looters pushed carts and loaded trucks and vans alongside officers. One man said police directed him to Wal-Mart from Robert’s Grocery, where a similar scene was taking place. A crowd in the electronics section said one officer broke the glass DVD case so people wouldn’t cut themselves.

“The police got all the best stuff. They’re crookeder than us,” one man said.

Most officers, though, simply stood by powerless against the tide of law breakers.

One veteran officer said, “It’s like this everywhere in the city. This tiny number of cops can’t do anything about this. It’s wide open.”

At least one officer tried futilely to control a looter through shame.

“When they say take what you need, that doesn’t mean an f-ing TV,” the officer shouted to a looter. “This is a hurricane, not a free-for-all.”

Sandra Smith of Baton Rouge walked through the parking lot with a 12-pack of Bud Light under each arm. “I came down here to get my daughters,” she said, “but I can’t find them.”

The scene turned so chaotic at times that entrances were blocked by the press of people and shopping carts and traffic jams sprouted on surrounding streets.

Some groups organized themselves into assembly lines to more efficiently cart off goods.

Toni Williams, 25, packed her trunk with essential supplies, such as food and water, but said mass looting disgusted and frightened her.

“I didn’t feel safe. Some people are going overboard,” she said.

Inside the store, one woman was stocking up on make-up. She said she took comfort in watching police load up their own carts.

“It must be legal,” she said. “The police are here taking stuff, too.” (New Orleans Times-Picayune staff)

We finnaly got power.

New O. is bad really bad and parts east of here. This poor state and Mississippi new God's help. As far as those Godless lost ones i have hardly any thing to say.

Evans area has lots of trees and I think all there power is above ground. We mostly have had wind dmage here so i would think he is ok but i will past by and check on him.

Danny, how is Baton Rouge? Heard anything about Ruston and Winnfield or Alexandria?

My cousins are there and I can't get through to any of them. One of my very favorite cousins lives there and it's bothering me to not be able to get through and that I haven't heard from her. icon_frown.gif:(--> Course it's hard to get a line even on the cell phones.

She overnighted me Plylox clips last year to board up my windows and I would have been totally unprotected last year if it hadn't been for her.

The news down here is concentrating on the worst hit areas and at least MOST of the broadcasters are pronouncing Biloxi correctly. icon_biggrin.gif:D--> But I would really like to hear how Baton Rouge and other parts of mid and northern LA are.

Belle you can almost draw a line through La. north and south and see how it hurt us. Baton Rouge for the most part is ok. Lot of trees down and in houses. Power back up in half the city. My mom lives near Alex. they have about the same. As far as north la. I don't know. South and east of here is almost a waste land.

No word from my friend icon_frown.gif:(-->

I'm really worried. She's a poster here, but not very frequent. (I don't know if she'd want me saying who she is)

Shellon, that link isn't working, but I think I understood. I know not to bother government agencies in asking about a single person, and I didn't think you were saying that.

I do remember that after 9-11 there were sites online where people posted who they were looking for--and eventually lists of confirmed dead were posted. That si what I am looking for now. I haven't searched out any of those yet, as I just got online for the day. I don't have TV, either, and mosts times I like it that way, but times like this, I bet there would be some helpful info I could use.

Psalmie, from what I've seen on the news, they don't even know who's alive and who's not. Communication is so limited.

I'm praying like crazy for everyone in the three states that have been so ravaged by this awful hurricane.

It sounds like bedlam in N.O., with the looting and the fast-deteriorating conditions. Now they're talking about evacuating everyone out of the city. I don't know how they'll pull that one off, but I wish them Godspeed.

Danny, yes, that would be great if you could check on Evan for us.

I have a friend through work whose husband is a doctor in N.O., so they probably had to stay behind. I keep praying they're okay.

Psalmie, I keep hoping that GC will check in with us, too. I know how hard it is to not hear anything. I FINALLY got through to a few cousins tonight.

I sincerely hope your friend is okay and please know that it took me over four hours to just get an open line to even be able to dial to one of my relatives. All the cell phone towers are being maxed to the limits and most of the cell towers in the area are down. Also, if they only have wireless phones (cell or otherwise) they may not have power to dial out.

I'm still trying to contact some of my relatives but have heard about the safety of most of them - if not directly then through other cousins. I know you're concerned. Please let us know if hear anything and know that they are probably wanting to contact you as badly as you want to hear from them. It can be VERY OVERWHELMING to be in their shoes. Trying to take care of yourself, much less a family in those situations can be stressful as all get out. Communicating to those you know love you and want to hear that you're okay can be extremely frustrating with limited resources, too.

I firmly believe that God is taking care of all our loved ones. Things can be replaced. People can't and God is taking care of our beloved people. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Danny, thank you! Thank you very much!!!

I've heard from other family members that my wonderful cousins are all okay. They don't have power and some have minor damage to homes, but everyone is safe. I still would like to hear their voices, though. icon_frown.gif:(-->

Grandma says they've opened I-55 and I-10 all lanes heading out of the south. That should help with the traffic and evacuations so much! I don't know why they didn't do that earlier, but better late than never, I guess. Hopefully we'll all hear from our other loved ones, like Evan, soon.

Thanks--still looking. I found a site where people were posting asking if anyone knew the whereabouts of their loved ones-- an incredibly long list--and most of them unanswered. icon_frown.gif:(-->

I've always been wary of giving my phone number to people I meet on the internet, but she and I had commumnicated maybe 3 years. I sent her my # via email Sunday, but she probably didn't get to it, and now with no power--probably no home. . .

An interesting link about why Katrina suddenly veered and weakened:

gust of air

Can you say satan.

The human misery has not been mesured yet.

I'll give you a little about La. as I know it. Not that I know any thing. La.and the gulf coast produce about 1/3 of the USs entergy. We produce a large amout of fish product. We produce rice and sugar cane.

If you think this is not going to rock the nation you will see. Out of the ports of the south goes most of the food supply to the other countrys, Maybe they should be praying to. And into the ports comes Much of the oil that is not produced here. One Shell place is a few blocks from the super dome.

All the stuff is just stuff. Its the human suffering that is taking place and will take place. God save those in need.

quote:
Shellon, that link isn't working, but I think I understood. I know not to bother government agencies in asking about a single person, and I didn't think you were saying that.
It doesn't matter whether it's about a single person, a group of people, a parish, or whatever. Those people don't need to be bothered with calls from outside the area, unless they're offers of real help. Calling them because you're worried is selfish, at best, and could possibly indirectly cause people to die, because they can't get through to people who could rescue them. Edited by LG

edit

I was asking if there were links to places that DO have any lists started of the survivors--or the dead, as were up after the 9-11 attacks. And I know they are busy right now trying to FIND the survivors. But sometimes there are other kind-hearted helpers out there-- ones who can't do any rescues, but can post lists.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Danny, I didn't see that "gust of air" link as being "satan" if that's what you meant your statement about. I guess I was thinking along the lines of, I'm glad it wasn't worse, since this was bad enough. And was glad for that gust of air to at least weaken the storm, and veer it off a bit.

I can't even begin to imagine the suffering people are going through right now, and I am very worried about my friend. She'll have a place to stay if I can find her! icon_frown.gif:(-->

Edited by Psalm 71 one