GreaseSpot Cafe

Matthew 27:52 & 53--The Saints that rose at the resurrection

Dr. Sudo, et al.:

My eyes are always smiling. Yes, I'm close to your age (heaven help me) and yes, I'm more confused now then when I first posted.

What I meant by God protecting His word, was that I think a lot of it survived. I don't know what was left out, changed, forged, etc. But, maybe the whole point is what we believe. What do we do about what we believe?

Everyone has a song, everyone has a doctrine, etc.

No, I won't disregard a scholar over someone who agrees with what I want to hear. I'm old enough to know I don't know nothin'. But, I believe I've hewed out a pretty decent cistern. angelkit.gif

A cistern, actually, is NOT a pitcher. It's more like an underground pool. Someplace they stored water if they lived in the desert.

Maybe we should put my question to bed. It's getting old, I mean late . . . .

quote:
Originally posted by irisheyes:

Dr. Sudo, et al.:

What I meant by God protecting His word, was that I think a lot of it survived. I don't know what was left out, changed, forged, etc. But, maybe the whole point is what we believe. What do we do about what we believe?

angelkit.gif

If only a lot of it survived then how do we know which is the part that survived? And if only a lot of it survived then can you really say that God protected his word?

sorry if this is a derail, but this is the part that stood out to me the most on this thread.

gc

Since this has turned into a "God protecting His word" discussion, may I chime in with a different perspective? Perhaps it will even have some bearing on the topic.

If one approaches the Bible from a textual accuracy, original languages, research-oriented perspective, these questions become nagging skeletons in the closet. For some the closet gets too full. Others, like Mike perhaps, have a huge closet and a great capacity for 'splaining them away according to some cherished notion to keep them in the closet. You're giving the skeleton a workout in the light of day. It amuses me to see the scripture wrestlers grapple with it.

From a faith perspective, such wrestling becomes irrelevant. Making things "fit" becomes an exercise in self-gratification. Since leaving Way thought behind, I've received more life-changing insight by simply reading the Bible by faith as a spiritual experience...of communing with my God and having Him speak to me personally through the pages.

Greeks know Greek quite well and it hasn't made them more spiritual. Bible scholars are no more holy than Joe Schmoe. It's a treadmill that goes nowhere.

WordWolf: Read some of your other stuff last night and was impressed. Would love your input.

GC: You're right. Who can decide?

Do you live in Louisiana or the Everglades, if I may ask:

Evan: You've got a wonderful perspective on it, probably the best way not to get an ulcer. But, then, what would we have to talk about?

quote:
Raf,

You're right on in your approach to the verses.

Mike,

I neither requested nor care for your opinion on how I approached those verses, nor do I accept you as an authority on whether my approach was right, wrong, close, on the mark, off the mark, on the wall, off the wall, 99 bottles of beer on the wall, etc.

Raf,

You wrote: "I neither requested nor care for your opinion on how I approached those verses, nor do I accept you as an authority on whether my approach was right, wrong, close, on the mark, off the mark, on the wall, off the wall, 99 bottles of beer on the wall, etc."

Calm down there, buddy. icon_smile.gif:)-->

My comment was for the benefit of irisheyes only. You have my permission to ignore it. Don't worry about it. Try to forget it. Try thinking about something else. Count to ten. Whistle a happy tune. These are only suggestions and not to be considered commands.... OK? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Irisheyes, please note that the comment Mike made was solely for your benefit, so please be sure to pay very close to it, because when Mike speaks...

it rarely benefits the person to whom addressed.

Raf, are you traveling by boat over there? Looks like Katrina's heading up for more of your great state. We're in the clear for now. GC: I know hot. I'm in Baton Rouge. No breeze whatsoever.

As for whatever Mike said that was for my eyes only, I couldn't figure it out back tracking. Yes, Evan, Baton Rouge!! How did you get so smart, anyway? I've spent the day babysitting my granddaughter (1 last week) and talk about putting life back in prosective . . . .

quote:
Originally posted by irisheyes:

GC: I know hot. I'm in Baton Rouge. No breeze whatsoever.

As for whatever Mike said that was for my eyes only, I couldn't figure it out back tracking. Yes, Evan, Baton Rouge!! How did you get so smart, anyway? I've spent the day babysitting my granddaughter (1 last week) and talk about putting life back in prosective . . . .

Ooooh we're neighbors! I've been meaning to travel up that way for over a year now! wink2.gif;)--> A grand baby sounds wonderful.

I think Evan was born that smart!

Raf said:

quote:
Yet

So true! icon_frown.gif:(-->

gc

Hi irisheyes,

Here's the footnote on pages 257-258 that covers those verses:

"24. Matthew 27:52 and 53 are clearly added by scribes. Manuscript 354 in Venice, Italy, omits these verses. Though other textual documentation for this has not yet been found, it must be realized that the earliest manuscript including this section of Matthew 27 dates from the fourth century AD. These verses must be an addition since they are contradictory to other scriptures which teach us that the dead are dead and will remain so until Christ returns. Until that time, only Christ has been raised bodily from death onto everlasting life. Textual critics as well as marginal notes in other old manuscripts have recognized these verses as later interpolations. The phrase 'after his resurrection' in Matthew 27:53 demonstrates the passage is totally out of context, obviously a scribal addition."

Without spending much time on these things, this here sounds even more harsh an assessment than the GMIR article.

Scanning the GMIR article will take a little more time (in proofreading) and it's on dark paper, so it might not work at all on my scanner. I can send you an xerox copy anytime, though.