GreaseSpot Cafe

Matthew 27:52 & 53--The Saints that rose at the resurrection

Thomas, John 11:4 makes it pretty clear that Jesus knew Lazarus' sickness was "not unto death, but for the glory of God that the Son of God might be glorified thereby."

The apostles thought that Jesus would be killed if he went to Lazarus. Where was their belief?

CM, I think he certainly wept with compassion seeing the people he loved brokenhearted, but also knowing that if they trusted in him, they wouldn't have to suffer.

quote:
Originally posted by irisheyes:

Thomas, John 11:4 makes it pretty clear that Jesus knew Lazarus' sickness was "not unto death, but for the glory of God that the Son of God might be glorified thereby."

I don't get what you're saying, Irish. How can Jesus knowing that Lazarus' sickness was NOT unto death indicate that Jesus knew that Lazarus would die?

Thomas, Sorry about that. That verse wasn't really explaining the whole story. If you read the account, you can see that Jesus knew Lazarus would die and he would raise him up. That's why he knew it was "not unto death." Not a death that would last, anyway. No one knew he was going to raise Lazarus up, but himself. If you can read it, you'll see what it's saying.

Before I was aware of the idiom I searched far and wide to get an understanding of why the OT would portray God as killing evil people but Hebrews ascribing death to the devil. It took a while for me to fully understand the "Viewpoints - God's and Man's" chapter in Volume III, WWAY where the idiom is illustrated but not fully explained. It also pops up a few times in the "Job - From Victim to Victor" chapter in Volume IV, GMWD.

In the meantime I found an interesting aspect of God's justice system that fits in with all this. This is a mechanism likened to an evil person digging a pit to ensnare a victim for robbery but who ends up falling into that pit himself. I just thought it was interesting. Here is what I found:

Psalms 5:10, 9:15, 10:12, 34:21, 35:8, 37:15, 57:6, 64:8, 69:22, 109:29, 140:10, 141:10

Proverbs 1:31, 5:22, 8:36, 11:27, 11:3, 11:17, 11:19, 11:27

Ecc. 10:8

II Chron. 20:23

Ez. 22:31

If anyone sees anything odd about any references her I'm open for correction. I'm too tired to look them all up right now. I just copied these from my wide margin and haven't looked at them in well over 25 years. There could be some mistakes or odd twists in there.

quote:
Originally posted by WordWolf:

Various iterations of the idiom of permission

have been around for decades.

I'm unclear where this was originally picked up from,

but I suspect it was Bullinger.

I am aware that others like the Christadelphians,

are aware of this figure.

WW: Who are the Christadelphians?

Mike, thanks for taking the time to answer with all those verses. I am greatly anticipating a good time looking them all up.

I have so enjoyed the last couple of weeks being able to check in and get feed back, etc. Especially hard times right now. My "baby" brother died last night. I have to learn how to live without him. He has been the longest constant in my life. But, I also have a wonderful support group with my husband and remaining family and our church family. Sometimes I feel like I live from one crisis to the next, but, it's the in-betweens that keep us all going. I need to thank God for my life everyday!

Aww, I'm sorry Irish.

Please be reminded of one place that I know that the Lord specifically gives us words to comfort one another with in times like this:

1 Thessalonians 4:13  ¶But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14  For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15  For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16  For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17  Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18  Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

quote:
Originally posted by irisheyes:

WW: Who are the Christadelphians?

The Christadelphians are another group of Christians.

I mainly know their name because, apparently, they base a

lot of their beliefs on their understanding of the Bible,

and they're not Trinitarians.

Here's a quick link on them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christadelphians

They have their own websites, as do their critics.

====

irisheyes,

you know, you can go and deal with things as you need to,

then come back. We'll be here.

Just to clarify something. I was talking to an old Way buddy today and made my "crisis" remark, i.e., living from crisis to crisis. She quickly reminded me my life is not THAT bad, so I had to tell her my definition of "crisis" which in my vernacular can mean anything from pulling off a birthday party to getting my 2004 income taxes finished (almost done with those).

IE icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

• 17 years later...
2 hours ago, Nathan_Jr said:

A GMIR article was mentioned. What is GMIR? 

By MIKE. Perhaps a direct message to him might get his attention. But then again, it has been about 18 years since he mentioned it, so he may not remember. :spy: