GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI Teen Attitudes

Belle

They've been teaching it. It started with the cancellation of the WOW program and then the "homo purge" and just got worse from there.

M@tthew H@rmon refused to call them anything but sodomites and told some rather disgusting jokes and other comments about them that I thought was inappropriate, but "we need to know how reprobate these people are."

Craig said that he wished we lived in the OT times so we could kill them, but that we have to wait to see them get their just end. He called them reprobate, lowest of the low and worthy of death.

For about two years every freaking single teaching had some tirade about the gay community. You could count on him mentioning money, living on a need basis and how much God hates "homos."

quote:
For about two years every freaking single teaching had some tirade about the gay community. You could count on him mentioning money, living on a need basis and how much God hates "homos."
I sometimes wonder if his campaign against homos has anything to do with retaliation against Donna & Rosalie's "special friendship". icon_eek.gif

THe frightening thing is that the teen years are when we start to define our own lives.

That's when we rebel, we try our wings, we learn from our bumps.

Hopefully we have parents, and teachers and religious leaders to encourage us to spread our wings, to provide foundtion while we look at the world and all it has to offer.

Locking children into a mindset of fear is not what it takes

Locking children into an us or them mentality is not what it takes

Giving children a firm foundation as a anchor while they come to know and understand the world, its peoples, and its vast differences is what it is about.

ONe of my sons paid me a compliment recently, he said

" you made a lot of mistakes, we suffered things no child should have too, but one thing you did manage to get right--you taught us that a belief in God and Jesus Christ was of paramount importance. Because we saw that you believed that GOD would be there no matter what"

This was the GOD of my childhood --The GOd who loved--the GOd who forgave--The GOd that was always there and His Son Jesus Christ who would, in the end, MAke all things right as long as one held on, who would always forgive no matter the sin.

I held on to them through my tears, through TWI's attempts to redefine them, through the most bitter dsays of my life--

If we do not give our children this or a similar anchor they will be helpless when the vagaries of life come upon them