GreaseSpot Cafe

We can't handle the truth

Shellon

Amen to being truthful with one another. Like VP used to say, if you love someone, tell them NOW, before the parson makes oration . . . etc.

7 years ago, when I had a serious accident, my believer friends held back nothing--had everyone praying for me and supporting me--now I'm fine--they saved my life. It was in the timing--something kept pulling me back and I fought unconsciousness for a month. They said that was it 3 times--but that I was fighting hard. Thank you my brothers and sisters for that great act of kindness and boldness! Life is better than it's ever been before. We should stand together, no matter what, and speak the truth in love. :)

Shell,

I cant stay now but I wanted to say that for me I had to start with being honest with me on some things. Before I could go with someone being that way towards me. I'm being specific of course but the principal is the point of that incident. A thought but I must go for now.

I'll return late, but I'd like to join your thread.

I mean REALLY!!! We have probably been lied to more than most people in the world ever even think about!

Let's face it. We know if we look fat in those pants...the answer is yes, no matter what you may say. (Had to get that in first.)

I got my degree at Pike's Peak? I saw snow at the gas station (forgot the month)? I went to the race track? I forgot more than you'll ever know?

We bought the lies, the arrogance, the temper, the hurt, the grief, the guilt and guess what---I don't really care how you think I look in my jeans. So there! ;)

What really bothers me is telling someone the truth only to have my words twisted or ignored and then having me look like the dishonest and evil person to others. Especially when I'm concerned about something and they think I'm overreacting because of what said person has told them.

I pretty much always tell the truth. Like Rascal, I may lie by omission, but usually it's to save someone from worry (like not telling my mom I lost my two front teeth in a car crash), or to save myself from trouble...telling the cop I don't know how fast I was driving.... :D I'm not perfect, but I do try really hard and I don't say things about people that I wouldn't say to their face, or that I haven't already said to their face.

I've learned from my ex good ways to tell the truth without hurting someone's feelings. When I'd ask him if these jeans make my butt look big, he'd say, "I really like the way the blue skirt you had on first looks on you. It's much more flattering." Things like that....

"Does this new chicken dish taste as bad to you as it does to me?"

"Well......I like the Greek Chicken dish much better. ^_^ We don't really have to have this one again, but it was fun to try it."

Those kinds of things I can handle and I appreciate the honesty and the forethought to be honest while still considering my feelings. What I can't stand is telling someone "A" and them continually hearing "B" no matter how many times I say "A" or how many different ways I say "A". Then hearing that they've told other people that I've continually told them "B" or that I'm a liar and they're #1'd at me....... :angry: Well, that #1's me off to no end! <_<

Edited by Belle

okay - I have to say I find this thread interesting. But truth isn't always so black and white either. What I think today, may be different tomorrow, or next week.

I may not feel safe telling the truth either. [lack of courage? perhaps but I'm not talking about my own emotional saftey but that of another] I had a situation like that come up not too long ago - where I honestly felt like telling it like it is would be a very very harmful thing for everyone involved. I didn't lie though, I simply didn't answer. But if I had been forced to answer, I would have really had to scramble to find a way to change the subject or something, cause there was just no way I was going to "out with it" in the particular circumstances I found myself in. You may say I am arrogant to decided what another person can and cannot handle, and perhaps I am. But there was more than one person's safety at issue in this particular circumstance. I am responsible for what I say and I try to take that seriously. Our words can have a profound effect on other people.

Truth is fairly easy when we are talking about how a new hair style or outfit. But when it comes to other subjects, sometimes the "black and white" truth of what we think is not so simple. Sometimes we don't know ourselves yet what we think and need time to think it through. Sometimes we are corned into saying things we don't really mean - my ex used to do that too me. He would hound me and hound me and no amount of begging and pleading would make him stop until I told him what he wanted to hear, regardless of whether it was true or not.

And though I now know better - there was definitely a time in my life when I would and did lie in an attempt to spare someone else's feelings. I don't think that makes me a bad person. My actions were wrong, but my motives were not. Life has taught me that in the long run, that often hurts people more than the up front truth would have, but until I learned that lesson the hard way, I simply didn't know that.

You all are absolutely right, the truth can't be handled, period.

I brought this thread back to the top to add some information that I recently learned in a study that I was invited to do the numbers and report on.

"somebody" took it upon themselves to twist it into something that it never was. Not even remotely, ever, at all.

The truth was right there.

You're right, I'm wrong.

:huh: What do you mean, Shellon? :huh:

I don't see any derailment of your thread.

Since only three people have posted since the last time you posted (and seemed to be fine with the thread), it appears as though you're mad at me, Irish Eyes or Morgan. Would you please explain who "someone" is and how you feel it got twisted?