GreaseSpot Cafe

Details on some of the changes to the forum

Bob

Here are a few of the changes:

Profiles:

• Your profile exists in the section titled “My Controls.” There is a link for it at the top of every page. This gives you access to your profile settings, avatar, picture (you can have a separate avatar and picture of yourself), personal messages (replacement to private topics), your picture albums for the Gallery (replaces Every Picture Tells a Storey forum), and Subscriptions (if you want email notification of new posts in certain topics)
  • A new password was assigned to your account and emailed to you. Once you log in, you should change it back, or to anything you like. This was required because the passwords on the old site could not be ported.
  • Most of the profile settings from this site were ported over but some of it was not, specifically instant messenger settings and avatar selections. These will need to be re-entered by you.
  • If you had any formatting codes in your signature, they will not display correctly. This is a function of a difference in how the two sites store signatures. To correct it, edit and save your signature. You shouldn’t need to change any of it and keep the formatting codes the way they are. After you save it though, it gets stored such that it will display properly. Any changes to your signature will show up in all your existing posts.

Topics/Posts:

• All existing topics and posts were kept in tact and moved here. They display correctly for the most part, but some anomalies will show (for instance, certain emoticons will not display, some formatting will be off). Formatting in signatures will be off until each person updates their signature.

Private Messages:

• Private Messages work much like email does, but it stays on the web site and allows you to keep anonymity (your email address is not used). They do not act like a discussion topic though, as private topics did. When porting over the existing private topics, each thread was converted into a single private message and placed in the Inbox of each participant of the PT.
  • When you receive a new private message, the My Assistant pops up on your screen notifying you, gives you a snippet of the message, and link to the message.
  • There is always a link at the top of every page titled “New Messages” with a count of your unread messages.

Gallery:

• This is for posting of pictures. It allows you to create albums for public or private viewing. If private, you can specify who you want to see it.
  • There are also public galleries which Paw is setting up.

Pictures:

• Some of the pictures are being transferred, specifically ones that are attachments to a post. Currently, pictures in photo albums in the Every Picture Tells a Storey haven't made it yet. We’re looking at a way to port them over, but it still needs work.

Subscriptions (email notification of new posts to subscribed topics):

• Everyone gets a fresh start on their subscriptions. If you have any that you wish to continue, you will need to re-enter them in your “My Controls.”

• Avatar settings were not ported. You will need to select an avatar again in the My Controls section. Paw moved over the default avatars. If you had a custom one, you can upload it here.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A note on formating posts.

The editor makes it easy to change the fonts and color. But if you do, be sure to close the tags, otherwise your formating codes don't take effect and the tags show through.

If you don't close the tags, it ends up looking like:

Unclosed formatting tags.

How it should look in the editor:

[font=Comic Sans Ms][size=4]Correctly formated tags.[/size][/font]

The easiest way to get the formating codes correct is to type your text first, then select the text you want formated, then select the formating you want. When you select formating with text selected, the application assumes that is the text you want formated and puts the opening codes in front and the closing tags at the end for you.

Edited by Bob

You may have noticed a red/orange box image next to some of the topic titles that looks like this: newpost.gif

That little red/orange box has some nice functionality. When it appears, it means there are unread posts in that topic. If you click on it, it takes you to the very first post you have not read yet.

Try it out.

Of course, all the older threads have this box since we did not port the who's-read-what database. But, you can mark an entire forum as read so that the next time you come in, only the topics that have new posts show the box.

Too mark a forum as read, click on the Forum Options box in the upper right side of a forum, and select "Mark forum as read."

Are you planning to enable HTML tags at some point in the future?

There is a security issue with enabling HTML for posting. Although the software takes precautions on checking HTML in posts, it's not foolproof. Certain HTML commands can be destructive, whether intentional or unintentional.

There is a security issue with enabling HTML for posting. Although the software takes precautions on checking HTML in posts, it's not foolproof. Certain HTML commands can be destructive, whether intentional or unintentional.

Fair enough. I understand the point. Can you post a link of supported UBB tags and attributes then? The help page says there is supposed to be such a list available as a popup, but I don't see how to get access to it.

I very much so appreciate it.

Awwright, what's with the limit on the number of smileys you can use in a single post? I mean, I can understand not wanting a whole page full of them, but I had to cut down on the number of them to about 6-7 in a row a recent post.

What's up with that? :huh:

Awwright, what's with the limit on the number of smileys you can use in a single post?

The current limit is the default. To have it increased, you'll need to petition Paw. B) :o :rolleyes:

My rose moves on my computer, but it isn't moving now. Howcome? It is supposed to open.

Thanks for answering me.

The image you have has your avatar is a jpg. As far as I know, only gif images can contain animation. Do you have a gif version on your PC?

Is there a time limit on editing old posts? I tried to remove my logo from an old post and couldn't.

There is a time limit of 2 hours for editing a post.