GreaseSpot Cafe

Aggie Hurricane Preparation

Ron G.

It looks silly, and probably is, but plywood on the inside would provide almost as much protection to the glass as plywood on the outside, because the main risk is from wind pressure, rather than flying debris. Also, it would provide just as much protection to the contents of the store as plywood on the outside would. If the structure is such that the plywood could not be mounted securely on the outside, then mounting it on the inside would provide more protection than mounting it on the outside, both for the glass (a relatively minor concern) and for the contents of the store (the primary concern).

Edited by LG

Well, I use Plylox to secure my hurricane windows and the outside of the house isn't deep enough for the Plylox to have anything to grip on my bay windows, so I have the wood on the inside of the house where there is enough room for the Plylox to be able to work. I figure replacing glass is cheaper than replacing the whole kitchen. *shrug*

I hope no one takes a picture of my house when it's boarded up and my car is in the driveway or they'll be sending out Miss State Alumni jokes....maybe I'll put an Ole Miss bumper sticker over it when I need to board up, just in case. :D

Just for fun, I'll have to question snopes on this one, and the ag owner explanation. JUST FOR FUN :)

Snopes quotes the guy ... "Our windows will not support the weight of plywood screwed into their frames — neither is there sufficient masonry wall surrounding them for an attachment — therefore our contractor a "good Ag" suggested saving the store from a major cleanup and letting the glass go — it wasn't a difficult decision to make! "

First, before this quote, snopes calls the sheets of OSB "boards", so I think they have no idea.

Second, if the frames didn't support the "plywood", how did they attach it to the inside? If it is somehow attached at top and bottom only, a wind that would break the windows would break the OSB also.

Third, I can understand them not wanting to put holes in their frames, but it sure seems a bunch of sheet metal screws would hold the OSB in place, especially if the weight was born by the ledge. Also, winds would push the boards against the frames on the outside, whereas they would rip right off the screws on the inside, unless they did major construction to bolster the OSB on the inside. If they were going to that much trouble, why not do it on the outside and save $3000 of glass?

Fourth, why don't any of the other hundreds of people that have similiar frames have to put their OSB on the inside?

It wasn't a difficult decision for the guy, but it doesn't seem like the correct decision, either. Unless maybe he had scratched or etched glass that he hoped insurance would replace for him, or he just didn't want to put holes in the frames. Anyway, that's how I see it, and I'm not afraid to be wrong B)

Well, looking at the picture I don't see much room at the top of the windows to secure them from the outside. It does appear as though there would be enough room on the inside of the building. Especially since they wouldn't have an awning hanging over that close to the top of the windows on the inside. Not having any space between the windows and the huge space that needed to be protected, it appears to me that they made a wise decision.

Also, if there is a deep enough ledge around the windows on the inside, they could have used Plylox, like I did to hold the boards in place. *shrug* An inside picture would show how they actually secured the windows, but regardless, I can see where it would be easier to secure the windows from the inside given what they had to work with.

P.S. Thanks for the Snopes link, Raf. Saved me some time from having to look it up myuself. Nevertheless, I'll still put an Ole Miss bumper sticker on my car next time I have to board up just in case someone wants to take pictures of my boards being on the inside of my house. ;)

Edited by Belle

I'm not saying they guy made the "right" decision, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have done it that way, but...

Second, if the frames didn't support the "plywood", how did they attach it to the inside? If it is somehow attached at top and bottom only, a wind that would break the windows would break the OSB also.

Not necessarily. If the store's floors are carpeted, then the OSB could be made very sturdy, without relying on attachment to the wall, and with no trace left behind after it was removed. All that would need to be done would be to nail 2x4s to the floor several feet back, and use triangular bracing secured to them to support the OSB. The OSB could be made much more wind-resistant than if it were mounted on the outside. Afterwards, vacuuming the floor would hide the places where concrete nails had been driven through the carpet.

I'm not saying they guy made the "right" decision, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have done it that way, but...

...and use triangular bracing secured to them to support the OSB. The OSB could be made much more wind-resistant than if it were mounted on the outside.

I actually blocked my "safe room" window like you described when I stayed thru a storm in New Orleans once. These guys probably knew what they were doing, just didn't make sense to me.

Belle, that is pretty funny about the Ole Miss bumper sticker :D