GreaseSpot Cafe

Rhoda Wierwille

Nottawayfer

Rhoda is a woman who literally gave her life to The Way International. She did many things for the Wierwilles before she married VP's brother, Rueben. I spent time with her while I was on Staff as we had worked in the same Department for 3 of the years I was at HQ. She was very dedicated to TWI, and she is the longest working employee of TWI--way over 50 years.

She was raised as a mennonite, yet she told me would have never pursued the position had she known what kind of church in which VP ministered. She went to his church service when she came to interview for him, and she said he was on fire. She had never heard anyone teach like that before.

Yet these many years later, she didn't always speak so kindly of him--even 10 years after his death. She seemed to have "beefs" with how VP and his brother had operated the ministry financially. And she mentioned VP's arrogance and desire to have large crowds around him. Back then, I didn't dare ask prying questions to find out more. I thought she was bitter about some things, and I wouldn't dare go there. I would today. I would also ask her if she typed his book manuscripts from other books or did VP dictate them to her himself.

She knew and spoke with many locals, who weren't in TWI. She said that when the ministry moved to New Knoxville, she used to go pay the bills personally so that the locals would see her and realize she wasn't just another strange person from The Way. She walked to work for many years. I wonder why they never bought her a car.

She had living family the last I knew, but she rarely saw them. She mentioned to me that she desired to go to Oregon to see her sister. She wanted to go by train, but she needed a person to travel with her. I offered to go with her, but she always seemed hesitant to go. I wonder if it was because of money? She seemed so frugal, yet she mentioned to me that she didn't have a budget. She just wrote checks on her Way Credit Union account, and it would be covered. She isn't an extravagant lady, but she does enjoy eating out--especially with other people. I went to lunch with her often on Sundays. We used to get the best home made German Chocolate cake at a cafeteria she liked to frequent in St. Marys.

I heard that she was seen at Mrs. Wierwille's memorial service, and that she was wheel-chair bound and living in an assisted living facility. Does this mean TWI kicked her to the curb also? They really owe this woman a lot.

I never knew Rhoda personally but she struck me as a hard working woman who had been raised in the farm lands of Ohio, who did things the old fashioned way. That woman literally gave her entire life to serve twi...and no doubt, did it honorably...

...your right, they owe her a lot, but instead of caring for her and rewarding her for her many years of loyal service, they probably kicked her to the curb...and never looked back.

Thank you Dorothy, thank you Rhoda...

Wayfer Not

I hate to burst your bubble. Rhoda was wonderful. I knew her and Reuben. The rumour mill has it that she and VP were an item at one time. I hate to repeat this gossip , except that it might have some bearing on the present situation. Don't ask me how I know or remember, but it seems I heard at one time that she and VP had a nice little affair going, and she ended up with Reuben????? I feel dirty even repeating this stuff, but it was "common knowledge" at one time at HQ.

God forgive them, and me.

I always dismissed this stuff as bs and gossiip. Now I'm not so sure.........

Edited by ex10

Ex10,

Wow! I never knew about that. I always wonder why it was so long before she actually got married. I actually thought it was because she was so matronly. I think she was 42 when she married Rueben. Then they were only married for about 27 years before he died. I felt sad for her.

She always seemed like the saint of TWI to me with everything she did for the Wierwilles. I wonder what kept her there so long and what kept her so dedicated. I guess an affair could be a explanation for that. I always wonder why she took such a job after being an educated woman. Women weren't always educated back then. She seemed to have so much more than to accept the position she did. I know she was a little miffed when she and Dorothy weren't chosen to play in the auditorium.

She used to talk about the days when the ministry got big and how forward the girls were about exposing themselves to the men (particularly VP and Harry) by wearing very short mini skirts. I was actually surprised she told us that one day at work. She said it in a manner that was quite surprising to us all....LOL! Maybe she wasn't as matronly as I though she was....LOL!

Anyway, I hope she is enjoying her life now. She liked to be able to go. I remember her driving scaring me though--especially when it was snowy out. She had a lead foot. I remember that she was always in fear that TWI would make her quit working. She really didn't have much interaction with people outside of work. I hope she isn't lonely. I am sure that Rueben's children visit her. They seem to be good that way.

Yeh.."thank you Dorothy ..thank you Rhoda"!...since Dorothy was brought up on this thread (& not meaning to derail)..thought it might interest a few of you that Dorothy Owens had written a little pamphlet entitled "Keys to spriitual Light", as I have it in front of me..a little l4 page/gray covered pamphlet which basically covers some of PFAL..."where we got scripture....(she calls it attitude towards the WOrd) & a few other "keys to research"..covers the renewed mind & getting born again..a real classic!

I always wondered about Rhoda. She always seemed so quiet and to not really "fit" in the upper ranks of TWI. But this is from someone who never met her, but only observed how "behind the scenes" she seemed to be....just quietly going about her business.

Hard to picture these matronly women having wild racucious sex! LOL! I'm sure all the men, maybe save, Ermal, took their license and lead from their sick leader vee pee.