GreaseSpot Cafe

CSI and TWI

lilbit

I watch CSI the other nite and it was on a mass "suicide" of cult members. In the end it was murder by one of the cult members. It was a weird moment for me because for the first time I thought...If V.P had given an order for a mass suicide, "would I have followed through with that directive?" I know I gave a covenant of salt to uphold "The Word" even unto death. At that time I ment it with my whole being.

So now I wonder ..."Would I have taken my life if asked?" For myself I can only say...yes! At the hight of your commitment...would you?

Edited by lilbit

Hi Lilbit!

Did I welcome you to Gspot?? I'm sorry if I didn't.

I love, Love, LOVE CSI!! Especially Gil Grissom!! ;)

I think you have a good point, but I think that most TV shows like Dr. Phil and CSI focus on the more radical and most "irregular' cults than the more "normal appearing" cults. It would be nice to see them focus on a cult like TWI where people function fully normally (apparently) in society, but are emotionally, spiritually and physically abused like we were.

There are a lot of different angles and examples that could be used, but since we are so close to "normal" it's not really newsworthy to them. Hopefully we'll be able to change that sometime soon. :)

winterdessert.jpg

Edited by Belle

Personally, I don't watch tv. Nor do I subscribe to the hype, and crap that tv shows propound.

After all -- it is a producer in hollywood (or somewhere) who is relegating beliefs into your life as you watch the tv shows, right??

My personal opinion is pi$$ on them, and pi$$ on them from a very great height.

I would do the same to docvic and twi, should they dare to tell me to to follow them and their doctrine to the *ultimate* destiny.

In my time there, I thought they were right, but they were never that right!

Belle -- did I read you right??? :huh:

Did you really say you would have followed their directive, even after claiming that "we are so close to normal??"

Just curious.

David

I rarely obeyed those in Authority whiile in TWI when I felt it was NOT RIGHT according to my own "Walk with God", so I can honestly say "NO" I would NOT have gone that far to blindly do what some 'leader' told me to. I've always been a free-will thinker.

I have to 'reap the consequences' ALWAYS for my own actions. If God spoke 'audibly' to me like VPW claims God spoke to Him. Then, and only THEN would I obey (But First I'd be questioning God to make for damn sure it was really HE whom was talking to me.) :wacko:

I seem to have missed out on the sadist/masochist thing. I don't like pain or hurt in any way for anyone(yup, I wasn't that great at smacking with that wooden spoon!) I couldn't have carried out orders that would harm my kids.

In my earliest days in TWI( 1980) I remember hearing conversations from my hubby and his wow bros about taking up weapons to protect the Word etc. Kind of freaked me out.

Belle -- did I read you right??? :huh:

Did you really say you would have followed their directive, even after claiming that "we are so close to normal??"

Sorry, David, that's not what I meant. I meant that the media focuses only on the very extreme cases and so when a group like TWI is brought up, because they don't believe in alien life forms and other things considered "weird" so to speak, and because TWIts do actually appear relatively "normal" in everyday life, that people don't take the destructiveness of groups like TWI seriously.

My parents didn't understand the extreme pressure and stress that I was under until they got to talk to other former TWIts at the Weenie Roast. They still don't fully understand, but they have a greater appreciation for what it took to get out.

Now, that being said.....I would like to think that I would never have taken the kool-aid, but I honestly can't say for sure that I wouldn't have. :o I was so effen obedient that I very well might have. :blink: Pretty scary to think about, so I don't..... I'll think about it tomorrow.... maybe....

I equate TWI with CSI Miami-lots of bright colors, bad acting, inappropriate comments and music and the ability to glamorize the mundane as the most important.

Caruso can't hold a candle to LCM for pure emotion-driven monologues. Of course Caruso would be hard-pressed to compete with Bullwinkle.

When I was at H.Q in residence we watched a movie,"Red Dawn" with Patrick Swazey. We were drilled out of bed at 3AM and sent to the top Fl. of the Owens(?) bldg. There was talk of going underground with all PFAL material and stock pilling food . The atmosphere in the room was a sence of urgentcy and commitment.

I had to admit that I was amotionally beaten down and just in a daze. Anything that TWI would have suggested I would have followed through on. I was so swept with the drama of it all I figured they knew what was best. I had given up so much of my power and didn't trust my internal compus for direction or right or wrong. I was so wounded I couldn't make an informed decision on my own. Years of emotional abuse in my childhood made me a prime canidate for TWI. So I guess when your that wounded and have no sence of self... well I'm glad today they didn't ask me.

Self-destruction was not in the "DNA" of TWI's root, psycho-social pathology. Death was always an enemy, fortunately. But that much common sense probably contributed to The Way's success and popularity in the 70s and 80s. Self-gratification was big. Approval from an authority figure, very big.

--

I don't speak as a psychologist, but psychology's terms are useful labels for phenomena (a.k.a. bull....) we've seen in TWI.

"Psycho-social" refers to subconscious or instinctive group behaviors. "Pathology" infers dysfunctional or unhealthy behaviors.

Psychology's tags are helpful reminders that our "choices" are not necessarily conscious, nor our stated rationales necessarily the most compelling motivations. That knowledge might help us accept our inexplicable tolerance, if not enthusiasm, for the craziness of Way World, once upon a time.

Edited by satori001