GreaseSpot Cafe

Halloween

Sudo

I don't mind the older kids without costumes.

My own kids all looked far older for their ages, and did so when they were in 5th and 6th grades, because they are so tall (one was 5' 7 in the sixth grade.). They felt silly dressing up, plus there is no way they'll look as cute as a 6yr old fairy princess(who's mom dressed her, she didn't have to buy it or make it herself, like lots of older kids do!). Sometimes they dressed up in costumes that other's wouldn't notice( I'm Mr. Whitaker the science teacher.)

I'm always a little shocked at how so many young teens are left to their own devices, left at home alone etc because they are old enough to be on their own, but when they were 6 their parents were buying them costumes, taking pictures, planning a fun time etc. Kind of sad, I think.

I took a group of young teens to some Haunted houses and tricker treating too, last night. None of them had cool costumes, but they had a blast. For kids their ages there aren't many alternatives--stay home and answer the door, or watch gory movies by yourself isn't that much fun. Older teens can drive etc, find their friends.It's kind of like Christmas but no presents because you're too old, for the young teens.

Everyone complains about young teens growing up too fast, with sex and drugs etc--but they don't like it when they act like kids, either!

I was specifically talking about young teens, Cool cheff--the ones too young to drive or hold down jobs. Perhaps your neighborhood is different from mine, but I haven't seen any of the older kids in our neighborhood going out trick or treating. They have jobs and cars and go do their thing. But I've seen lots of the middle school crowd, and I don't see anything wrong with that. What are those age(12--15 or so) kids supposed to do? Stay home alone and hand out the candy?

YEAH, BROTHER SPEED!!!!

Bramble, I gotta agree with the guys. ;) It's a perfect opportunity to stretch the imagination and be a little creative. :P

I trick-or-treated till I was thirteen, but we always dressed up and really came up with some good, cheap ideas. One year I wore a slip with "Freud" across the front of it - I was a "Freudian Slip"..... Didn't cost any money!

IMO, no excuse for not dressing up in some way shape or fashion - otherwise you're not in the spirit of the holiday and as such, don't deserve the "fruits" of the night. :mellow: