GreaseSpot Cafe

Life's Imponderables

Sunnyfla

Ok.. this is a book I have ( for what reason, I have no idea) that's called "Life's Imponderables. The answers to lifes most perplexing questions" Please join in with your questions and anwers. This may be fun

:rolleyes:

What's the purpose of a warning label on a Mattress?

And what will happen If I Rip It Off?

:o

Those warning labels are there to protect you, not shackle you. Look carefully a the language of the dire warning, there is always a proviso that the label is not to be removed "except by the consumer" One reason why mattress warning label laws were imposed in the first place is that some less-than-ethical merchants used to palm off second hand mattresses as new ones. Although, it is legal to sell secondhand mattresses as long as they are properly sterilized . A white tag quarantees a neww mattress: a sterilized secondhand mattress carries a yellow tag. Whewwww... I've ripped off those tags, including pillow tags for years and felt a little wierd doing it :redface: I'm glad that's all cleared up.. he he he :wave:

WHY Are Hamburger-Bun Bottoms so Thin? :huh:

Who hasn't taken a juicy burger off the barbecue, placed a Bermuda onion, some ketchup, maybe a dollup of mustard on the patty, only to find the bun bottom wilting in his fingertips? The bun top only gets mangled by the fingertips of the eater. The bottom carries the weight of the burger, the bun, the eaters fingers, plus the grease from the meat itself. Halfway through eating the sandwich, the bun top looks like Grace Kelly; the bun bottom looks like Sam Kinison :lol:

ANSWER...... Would you believe with most of these questions, there's at least 2 pages of explanations? So, I'm narrowing it down..... The Bun Tops are, in fact, much more important from a marketing point of view. Nothing pleases a browser at the bakery shelf more than buns with a pronounced mushroom top. Because the mushroom top is above the shred line, bakers must decide between good looks and practicality when it comes time to slice the buns----- quess which one they choose. Then Peppereridge Farm, adds that "The flavor and texture of the bun comes from the top; therefore the top needs to be substantial in size" :rolleyes:

Edited by Sunnyfla

Is it because light travels faster than sound that some people appear bright until you hear them speak?

If it is zero degrees outside today and it is supposed to be twice as cold tomorrow how cold will it be?

How much deeper would the ocean be if sponges didn't grow in it?

If man evolved from monkey and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes?

Before they invented drawing boards what did they go back to?

How is it possible to have a civil war?

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Why is it called the tourist season if you can't shoot them?

Lake Superior is a magnet for tourists.

We have several tourist information booths around town.

I went to one, and in my best Stephen Wright voice, asked ...

"So ---- what can you tell me about some of the

tourists who have passed through here recently?"

:D

And now, lessons in division.

To find out if a whole number is divisible by 1, well, all whole numbers are divisible by 1.

To find out if a whole number is divisible by 2, look at the last digit. If it's even, it's divisible by 2. If it's odd, it's not.

To find out if a number is divisible by 3, add the digits. If the sum is divisible by 3, the number is divisible by 3.

To find out if a number is divisible by 4, look at the last two digits. If they are divisible by 4, the number is divisible by 4.

To find out if a number is divisible by 5, look at the last digit. If it's a 5 or a 0, the number is divisible by 5.

To find out if a number is divisible by 6, apply the rules for 2 AND 3.

To find out if a number is divisible by 7, there are no shortcuts. Learn some math.

To find out if a number is divisible by 8, check the last three digits. If they are divisible by 8, the entire number is divisible by 8. Glad to be of assistance.

To find out if a number is divisible by 9, add the digits. If the sum is divisible by 9, the whole number is divisible by 9.

To find out if a number is divisible by 10, look at the last digit. If it's a 0, the number is divisible by 10.

Thanks for playing. Move to the head of the class.

The 10 Frustables

1. Why is legal paper 81/2 x 14?

2. Why do Americans, Unlike Europeans, switch Forks to the Right Hand After Cutting Meat?

3. How, When and Why did Banana Peel Become the Universal slipping Agent in Vaudville and Movies?

4. Why did the Grade E disappear from Grading Scales in Most Schools?

5. How did they Lock Saloon Doors in the Old West?

6. Why do so many people save National Geographics and then Never Look at Them Again?

7. Why Do People, Especially Kids, Tend to Stick their Tongues Out When Concentrating?

8. Why do Kids Tend to Like Meat Well Done (and Then Prefer It Rarer and Rarer as They Get Older?

9. Why does Whistling at an American Sporting Event Mean "Yay" When Whistling Means "Boo" in Most Other Countries?

10. Why Are So Many Restaurants, Especially Diners and Coffee Shops, Obsessed with Mating Ketchup Bottles at the End of the Day?

:redface: There are actual answers to these questions if anyone is interested..hehehe... ;)

Edited by Sunnyfla

ooh tell me that one please

Back in the old days when report cards were hand-written and not a computer printout, a simple stroke of the pen could turn a failing grade, F, into an excellence grade, E. The tempatation was just too great for some children. In Endicott N.Y the E, meant excellence. But in many school districts, it meant near failing.

A,B,C,D, and F were proformance grades. They would be used as grades of record, entered into school transcripts. The E, however, was a predictive comment, a sort of erly warning. While the E could be used on the report card at midterm, it could not be used as a semester grade; it had to be converted a final F on the final transcript. In other words, it was just a warning of possible failure, which in fact, the student would then just give up and think they were failing and not try to improve the grade. Then if the teacher tryed to give a D, then seeing the student slack off severely,then gave him an F, the student,(and often the parents would cry foul, for not issueing an E for warning :huh: So the E, was banished and everyone had to be retaught that the D was passing, but in danger of failing if work did not improve. :rolleyes: