GreaseSpot Cafe

getting by the passwords on some used computers

danteh1

Recently a friend of mine got soum older computers Compaq's from a local school.

Well, the computers had the administrative passwords still on the computers. My question is, is there any way around the administrative passwords??? Two or three of them are 2000 Professional and 1 is Windows XP Professional.

They are nice computers, one is a Pentium 3 BTW, and my friend is going to be trying to get the passwords from the school (IF) they still have the passwords. I would hate to have to reformat the hard drives since they are already set up with windows.

Any ideas or help would be greatly aprecciated. B) :beer:

Here are a couple websites that appear to have free solutions- there are others that can be purchased.

http://www.grape-info.com/doc/win2000srv/s...y/ntpasswd.html

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Good luck- you might want to use norton ghost to make an image of the drive in case something screws up on one attempt. then you can restore and try again

Tanks Paw

I may have to have you do that for me. a friend of minethat is working on one of the computers with 2000 professional on it has tried the 3,5" disk i made from ckeer's linkand he said it didn't change the password. he tried all of the options on the 3.5" disk utility. and he was going to try the CD that i made with the .iso file that looks like the same utility as the 3.5" disk utility.

so if u have a link to the linux program Paw, i would apreciate it.

:wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave:

The Linux based prog that Pawtuckett spoke of is the one that ckeer gave you the link to. It is a great program and DOES work. I have used it many times.

Tell your friend to be sure to actually type the word Administrator even if it's selected by default. After typing in the new password, be sure to tell it to write at the end. Also, you may want to reset the failed password count, in case that has been enabled on the machine.

Rick

Oh, and you may want to read the faq page here: http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Related question:

I have a friend who needs to get some docs off a password protected computer. I'd prefer not to give details at least on an open thread, but trust me it is urgent, and legal and serious. I may refer her to the above links, but could the drive just be taken out, switched to a slave drive and put on another machine? Thus accessing the data that is needed? You can email me if you need more info.

~HAP

that should work assuming the password protection is the logon screen to let the user in. It won't work if the password is to decrypt encrypted or password protected files.

It is also possible to set up a dos bootdisk that has a driver that can read ntfs files (I am assuming you are talking about windows 200 or xp)- I know it exists just not sure where to get it.

If you included the copy command on the boot disk you could copy the files to floppy as long as they were small enough.

Edited by ckeer

Yes, I am told it is an XP machine. I am hoping that her problem is at the logon screen and that the files themselves are not encrypted. I am not sure if she knows for sure. thanks ckeer.

I suppose I am being a little too cautious about using those linux progs. I haven't found anyone yet reporting messing things up, but since it is not my own machine and the files are not replaceable, I would like to try the safest way to get the data first.

~HAP

If I recall using a linux based password "recovery" tool usually ends up you resetting the password to gain access to a passworded computer. Not the best thing if you dont want to leave tracks you were there.

For the file extraction you want to do, I have not done this but am told it will do it, use a "live cd".

A "live cd" is a operating system on one cd. The operating system is loaded in to the computer Ram and not the harddrive. You can access the hard drive but no files are written to it from the Ram.

The one cd os loads its own drivers to operate the hardware, ie printers, cd reader/writers, usb ports, Dvd ect.

Once shutdown and the cd removed there generally is no trace, because windows OS was never started.

Knoppix (a popular one cd os) might just be the ticket. (sorry no link doing this on the fly)

Regards

thanks Apple-

In this case there is absolutely no issue with leaving tracks. I am just trying to help here get the data/docs she needs. The computer and data is hers, in every aspect, legally and morally.

From what I have read so far, the linux prog is safe for doing this, at least if the files are not encrypted. It seems that the most likely place to mess things up with it is if you use the other registry editing features of the program. Does that sound like a fair assessment?

I guess my only reason for asking, is that I have put drives on another computer as a slave. Editing the registry is something that I have some trepidation about. I want to get the data the safest way possible, before I risk the possibility of making it irretrievable. Once I have the data, I will be making the computer usable for my friend, with or without the password protection.

~HAP

• 1 month later...

just a quick not to everyone on some info i picked up from another friend of mine that dabbles in computers from time to time.

It seems that if a computer (with windows 2000 or XP) is from a school or such and has been networked to a central computer, like in a school setting, and has a password on the main boot up and has just a network/ethernet card, try pulling the networking card out of the computer and rebooting the computer.

My other friend had someone bring in a computer that was setup that way and a friend of his showed him on it how to get around the computer asking for the password. All the person did was to pull the network/ethernet card and reboot the computer. My friend said that if he didn't see it for himself he wouldn't have belived it.

I don't know if he was able to change the password after that or not, but it solved the problem of the computer from asking for the password to go on into windows.

Edited by danteh1

• 1 month later...