GreaseSpot Cafe

What does your Christmas tree look like?

shazdancer

We had a very dificult time with Christmas after leaving twi....my husband didn`t want to participate at all...was angry with me for anything that I did...

I started going to orlando with the kids and leaving him at home just so we could have trees decorations and and presents guilt free......

After 4 years of this we had to stay home this year........so my Dad and his wife brought one of those fiber optic trees that she found at a yard sale cheap...along with some pretty ornaments and we decorated the tree and had hot cocoa together....

It is the start of new christmas tradition for us.....the tree is so unlike anything either my husband or I can relate to from our twi and difficult early years that it has fresh new meaning. Not to mention the color changes are breath taking .....

This year is the start of new and fresh traditions for my family....shhh don`t tell anybody but my spouse has even been buying presents for Santa to leave under the tree ...gasp :o

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dove, I dunno how you might feel about this, but you might consider still sending the ornament to Duv's family for their tree, in her memory.

After my husband died, a lady in a past fellowship wanted to still give us an ornament for him. She'd made it already and although it was for our family tree, he was one of those sweet guys that seemed to attract woman like flys. :wub: It was really more for him than us.

She called and was worried about did I still want it, etc. Of course I did, we were proud to have it. I didn't care about doing a tree that year. He loved this holiday and loved the decorating, trees, much more than I did. But I had kids, so a tree went up and that ornament became a tradition for six years until it sadly got broken.

Think about it.

Our trees are always differant, according to what my 10 year old wants to do. We have a 3 feet artificial tree and every year it's her thing. One year it was all small drawings she'd done, tied on with bread ties, another year it was just candy canes, nothing else, and yet another it was full of McDonalds happy meal toys. This year it's more 'traditional' with mostly the stuff she's made over the years.

We miss that ornament in daddy's memory and I wonder if Duv's family would enjoy having you keep the tradition going that you and she shared.

Thanks Shellon for your thoughts and great story. To be honest I had considered sending it to Terry and I suppose I talked myself out of it. It was really more of a thing for Sandi a sort of hey you made it another year hang in there and in 20 years you'll have a tree full of doves. We never got to far and I suppose I just assumed he would not have the same interest in it. It was wrong of me to assume that as you have caused me to realize. Deaths and Divorces and such always pose such quandaries I just did not want to cause Terry any extra grief or cause him to wonder why someone is sending him an ornament for his dead wife- kinda creepy. I suppose I should let him decide what he wants to do so I'll call him later Thanks for the nudge......

((((((Aw, Dove!))))))

Thanks, marypoppins, my son is incredibly better, and still has more to go. It is great to see him smiling, laughing, and involved in life again. This is gonna be a great Christmas!

Okay, now about the ornaments....

Mine have no color scheme, though some of you that have that, it sounds very nice. My mom had given me some Hallmark ornaments when my oldest was born, and more with the next baby, and I have added many more to the collection over the years, some to commemorate certain events, and some just because I like them. I liked the rocking horse/hobby horse ones, so have several of those, which go on the tree, probably killing their collectible value, but not their enjoyment. :)

I also have plenty of ornaments with that are handmade, or were given to me by students or family, that also adorn the tree or the apartment. And I have two ornaments that go back to my childhood. One is a a wobbly-looking skater that was "my" ornament when i was little, and one is a pink Christmas tree that was my grandmother's. They are a little worn, and go one the back of the tree, where I can see them.

I also have a small collection of those "Rodney the Reindeer" stuffed anumals that Hallmark makes. One big one I just found at a church sale, and a few little ones. They are all hanging out on top of my bookshelves this year. Cute.

Now for my funniest Christmas ornament:

Hands down, the award goes to "Severed Santa Head!" That's what I call it, anyway. It's a composition-and-cloth ornament about the size of a baseball, a gift from a student, that looks like a realistic shrunken head of Santa, with no body! The effect is kinda icky, and it suits my warped sense of humor, so I put it up somewhere in my home every year. (One of those "what were they thinking?" kind of presents!) This year, he is looking down at us from the top of the 'fridge, on the mug tree. I think he's makin' a list!

It's gonna be a great Christmas.

Shaz

We don't have many ornaments, we only had a few trees while in TWI and I decorated those with bows and cookies.

We a have lot of lights for Yule, and I like woodsy/craftsy ornaments. I also like cardinals, and received many cardinal ornaments our second year out of TWI, when some co workers found out I didn't a have ornaments. I also recieved some gorgeous hand made crocheted angels that I treasure. Every ornament was a gift, I've never bought any.

My kids like to make that applesauce cinnamon dough clay to make cookie ornaments from, and I love the rich smell and color.

It hasn't been so long since my parents passed away, we have all those ornaments in storage but(siblings and I ) decided we weren't ready to get them out and divided up, yet.

Shaz those boxes sitting in the attic are full of Hallmark and Enesco ornaments. Those rocking horse series that you have will still do well if you keep the boxes in shape even though used. I don't recall how many there were in that series I know at least 10 but if you pick up the others on ebay they will be worth more as a set and a great hand me down for the kids. That first horse is booking at around $100.00 I know that you like them for enjoyment, I think the same but it never hurts to keep up on the value of those things. Those early sets do pretty well now,less were made then than now. One set that I bought was the thimble set those first ones are booking at $450.00 now. The sold for $4.95 back in the day.

I had a feeling you were talking Hallmark, WD!

I think I will wait on that $100+ horse, though I have the #3 one. Maybe I'll check on eBay in the summer, when prices for such things will be lower.

And I'm missing this year's "Pony for Christmas." Can't find it, they seem to be selling out of the popular ones so they can be sold on eBay.

And yeah, I now try and take good care of the boxes. But I'm determined not to get (too) anal about it. I'm one of those closet "ornament shifters," too!

Regards,

Shaz

Hey guys!!!

Don't you just LOVE everything at this time?? Here's the completed tree.. posted as promised...

first... with all the decorations and number one daughter home from Ole Miss

treelight.jpg

And as it looks with all the other lights off... How we ALL prefer it!!!!

treedark.jpg

sudo

Ahhhh Nice tree Sudo. :)

I don't do trees either at my house (though I have in the past), but it's always a treat to set up the one we have at the group home (a fake one - due to state rules and regs). :(

Clark sits in his easy chair and *supervises*, and Larry and Jeff do all the ornaments refusing help.

I tried once, and put one ornament in *the wrong place*,

and heard about it for the next two days!! :D

Loren refuses to be a part of the *setting up* ceremony, but ---

every morning after it is put up, he motors on in to the living room in his wheel-chair saying --

Plug it in, plug it in!!

David

Dear Sudo,

I LOVE the picture of your tree at night. My son keeps turning off the lights in the kitchen (where our tree is) to get the full effect. And he's Mr. Too Cool! I love it.

Dear Dovey,

You're on! Could you save me one for after the holidays? I sent you an email.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Shaz

Oilfield,

We spent Christmas in Arizona once when I was a child. We were in the desert didn't know what we were going to to for decorating.

so........

We picked up Tumble Weed and piled 3-5 pieces together, can't remember the exact quanitity, just so it looked cool, then we added lights to it and a few pretty knick knacks. Truly the most innovative Christmas Tree we had ever had.

Digi

Edited by Digitalis

Dear Dovey,

You're on! Could you save me one for after the holidays?

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Shaz

Done Shaz , and you must be living right as the Mall God's even gave you a 30% off discount. By the way did I mention the $99.00 shopping fee for going to the Mall on Christmas Eve. :biglaugh: