GreaseSpot Cafe

Metal roofs

likeaneagle

Hi ya all-

I am in the middle of purchasing a Barn Style home in Va. It has a metal roof. I understand they have get painted occasionaly. Its a forsalebyowner and located on pristene lake.I live in a very pricey area. I am single and what to be informed ahead of time. I know the local home inspectors will be well acquainted with this type of roofing. alot of vintage homes have this type of roofing. This home was built in 80s. Has anyone had to maintain one of these?Please let me know the scoop.

Edited by likeaneagle

That would depend on what the coating on the roof is. If it has a baked enamel finish, it should last 30 years. Around here, that is the norm, even in our highly intense UV sun. Never have had to paint one, nor known one to be painted, of that type.

I guess that doesn't help much, but painting a roof should not be that serious an event. Once you paint something, you likely have to redo it every 3-5 years to keep it well covered. I would avoid doing so until it ws truly necessary.

Just an opinion from someone familiar with building materials.

~HAP

Hap4me- thanks for the info. I will find out more as I go... Yes, I understand about the UV coating. I have heard about those. They also have heat pumps here which translates into heat and a cooling system. I wil be putting in a corn stove to help on heating.

Edited by likeaneagle

I know my grandparents used to finish theirs with a zinc-like coating (IIRC they was applied hot...sort of like hot asphalt) claiming it kept it cooler during the summer. I don't remember how long that they said it lasted, but I think it was a long, long time. I remember spending many nights sleeping under that roof. Rain was interesting...hail was deafening...

The building that I erected this summer has a steel roof. a backed enamel finish guaranteed to 30 years.

It makes a lot of noise inthe rain, but that is okay, we will be spraying in styrofoam which will harden it right up. and no noise should come in at all.

Good luck.

72bfd25b.jpg

a2041d22.jpg

13821507.jpg

Eagle,

We are putting up metal roofing on our cabin as soon as spring hits ......... We live in very cold weather, lots of snow and if you have even a slight pitch the snow will slide off of it without having to shovel.

It does come with a 30 year warrenty and you can have it painted any color you desire. Go to the autobody shop and they will match any color you want ........ then of course you can put a clear enamal coating over it. Ours is going to be in Cabernet Red just like a dark red wine.

It truly is a wonderful roofing system. Spray off with a hose to clean once every few years. No mold, no moss ......... really great.

Digi

I have an old house built out of 4x4 oak square beams, built like an old barn.. It was an old hunting cabin, then in the late 70's it was enlarged with a second story.

It has a galvanized steel roof that's never been painted or had any maintenance. It's a 12:1 pitch which means a 45 degree angle making it virtually impossible to paint, but at the same time, snow and trash never accumulates on it. It's nice and solid and leak free after at least 30 years. The back porch n the other hand, is quite a bit flatter and allows leaves and branches to accumulate causing rust holes underneath. I'm probably going to replace it this summer.

I have two old chicken houses, one that my dad built back in the 50's out of galvanized steel nailed onto wood poles stuck in the ground. It's as good now as it was when he built it. I did paint it "barn red" about 12 years ago, but that was because I didn't like the bare metal look. The other one I built the same way and it's still unpainted. It has no rust or anything, but I do have to take a rake and clean the roof every couple of months. They both have a few bullet holes in the walls due to possums, snakes and other unwanted visitors but they don't hurt anything and provide some added ventilation.

The only real problem with that kind of roof is that it can get pretty noisy during a hailstorm or in the fall when the acorns drop.

Edited by Ron G.

well this is sounding good. The maintenance is very low. I understand it barnstyle inside as well with a loft. So Im sure its probaly not sound proof. Im getting more info today from the seller......

thank you all..this has been helpful, being im midwestern born and raised ,this has posed a new position for me. I have neard seen a metal roof till i moved here.:)

Edited by likeaneagle

Hi all I am Shrek .......

I just dropped in for a cup of coffee and noticed this bulletin board. I am going to be doing some roofing this summer. Nothing major.

If I get stuck on this roofing job, I will be sure to come back and have another cup.

Nice to meet you,

Shrek