GreaseSpot Cafe

Bethel, Maine

doojable

Hey out in cyberspace. Like the title says I am going with a LOT of extended family to Bethel,Maine this summer - in late July. My hubby and his siblings grew up Bangor and Limestone. Here's the question:

What if anything, is there to do out in that part of the state? (Bethel that is)

We might take a day trip and head to the coast one day - but we were looking for other sites and main (no pun intended) attractions. We will have 3(!!!) teens with us and one 9 year old- so just watching grass grow isn't really a big option, no matter how beautiful the grass might be.

Thanks for the help in advance!

You are going to be in one of my favorite parts of Maine, doojable. Bethel is a tourist town, but it's also right at the base of the mountains, so there are a lot of outdoorsy things to do, but be prepared to drive a little bit for most things. However, there are some real nice craft shops right in Bethel, definitely take an afternoon to explore the local things.

If you are staying in Bethel, just ask the front desk for ideas. If you're adventurous, try a whitewater rafting tour, or rent a few canoes and go slower. Just driving into the mountains is a treat by itself -- ya never know what you might bump into (an elk farm south of Bethel, bought pie from a lady who just left them at the end of her driveway, with a box to leave the money).

A few sites to get you some ideas:

Bumpus Mine Tour -- this one is just opening up this summer, so call early for reservations, I think. There's also gold panning in Mexico, ask OnionEater about that. This whole district in Maine is big on minerals and gemstones, so explore the rock shops.

Maine Attractions -- seems to be more touristy stuff along the coast, but you get the idea. The Wildlife Park was cool enough for my teen -- still the only moose I've seen since I've been here in the park -- not my son!).

Mount Washington in New Hampshire -- the views made even my teenager say, "Whoa!" You might want a jacket or sweater, even in July.

Big Adventure, entertainment park in Bethel Mini-golf, waterslide, etc. just outside of downtown Bethel.

Enjoy your stay!

Shaz (only been heah 1 1/2 years -- I'll always be considered to be "from away.")

Edited by shazdancer

I live 15 miles from Bethel. Let me know when you will be there. I will take you gold panning and show you the mines.

Check this store out, I work there on the weekends. It is 5 miles from Bethel.

http://www.megalink.net/~mtmica/

I can almost guarantee to find you a moose so bring your cameras.

Edited by OnionEater

My in-laws have a time share out there so I will have to find out some more info for you CC and Shaz

Thanks! all of you this is great, I would love to meet sith as many of you as possible. I'll post more details as I get them right here on this topic.

My kids LOVE rocks and minerals so that is a must.

OE I'll have to contact you too - my neice is a serious moose freak!

I definitley will bring a camera and possibly even my field paint box.

Thanks again!

I haven't visited Bethel, But did visit Bar Harbor area suumer before last in August and it was beautiful.

I will be in Bethel from July 25 - Aug 5 2006.

hey david - is that a Llama!?? wow! Doesnt' look quitel llike a horse.

I'm looking forward to the beauty. Thanks to all!!! I'll keep you all posted.

Oh and Digi - Gold, gold what gold???? :biglaugh:

• 4 months later...

Chas & Co. are less then 2 hrs away - we'd be happy to meet you!

About an hour or so south-west of Bethel - in SALES TAX FREE NEW HAMPSHIRE - is a great place to visit and shop, called North Conway - there's some great outlet shops there (Timberland, Levis, Bass, etc.!)

Feel free to email me at jarg@metrocast.net if you want to meet!

Edited by ChasUFarley