GreaseSpot Cafe

Whee, white stuff!

Linda Z

As much as I dislike driving to work on slippery roads, I have to say that this winter, with its absense of snow, has been just plain dullsville! It's as if I fell asleep in Cleveland, Ohio, at the end of November and woke up the next day in Tacoma, Washington. It's been weird. The third warmest winter on record here. It's been nice in a way, but I was getting tired of it.

Rain, rain, rain, and more rain. Grey skies. Mud...oh the mud! My back yard looks like a swamp, and I've mopped my laundry room and kitchen floors more this winter than I normally do in a year, from the dogs tracking in the brown gooey stuff.

Did you ever try to dry the feet of a 107-lb dog who just wants to get inside for a doggie cookie? And he's half Chessie, so he has these doggone webbed feet that hold the mud between his toes until he can release it at the most strategic moment, like after he hops onto the couch.

So I'm loving this snow. It's the fluffy kind, as yet unmarred by road crud. Pristine white and sparkling on the lawn and the cars. I think this is just the morning for hot cocoa and cinammon toast. Makes me feel all warm and snuggly!

How 'bout the rest of you Midwesterners and Easterners...how have you liked this winter so far?

I don't like it one bit! It hasn't been cold enough to kill off the mold spores and other stuff - - so I think we'll have lots of spring and summer illnesses.

Generally - - it takes 3 consecutive days of temps below freezing...totally below freezing.....before that stuff dies off and we haven't even had that yet.

I'd like to see a little white stuff too!

It seems it is that way all over most places in the country except in the Northwest. My mom and dad live on the Oregon/California border. They've had snow a few times this year like in the picture below. For them, hopefully it will keep them from having so many wild fires this summer. Here's a picture of the scene outside their sliding glass door from a few days ago. I don't miss it.

Edited by Wayfer Not

Ive been loving it myself---Im not abig winter person--It is pretty once in awhile, but after the last few years of weeks below zero, getting hammered with 2 or 3 two foot storms one right after another, and eons of endless depressiing grey grey days---I have to say that this winter is a welcome rest.

The once in awhile snow days have been picturesque and not severe ( only got stuck once this winter--a record ) and its great not to have to bundle up like an eskimo everyday

:dance: We got more snow and the stuff is drifting hugely right now. weeeee my little car loves this slippery stuff.

Lotsa snow in Mo Town for the big boys to play with their balls in.

Lets not tell paw about all our beautiful white stuff. :realmad:

Out the door with a shovel.

heard on the news yesterday that Duluth is having the warmest (uh, that's a relative term, I'm sure) winter in 160 years.

How much snow have you been shoveling Dave?

Not much George. And yes -- we just had the warmest January EVER. The John Beargrease Sled Dog Marathon (last week) started with temps in the high 40's, and barely enough snow for the dogs to pull the sleds over.

That made for a really fast track for the teams, but then it snowed about 5 inches

2 days into the race, really slowing things down.

It's just cold here now. Most of the precip went over Lake Superior, and hit the UP instead of us.

Yea - love the reprieve from the really cold weather!

And just enough snow (8 or so inches) to make it look purty. :)

Edited by dmiller

We're having a cold front down here in Orlando, too! It was 46 degrees yesterday and they say it could get as cold as 30 degrees this week!! :ph34r:

I like it, though, because we just turn off the AC and until it gets to the 40's I just open all the windows and screen doors in the house. No snow though, unless you get fake snow at one of the attractions down here. :wink2: