GreaseSpot Cafe

Computer Question

oenophile

I don't see a computer question forum here in the new GSC, so I'll pose my question here. Lately, I am finding that pictures and other graphics (like cartoons and some banners) are becoming progressively more blurry, sometimes hardly recognizable. It looks like the picture never completely loaded on occasions.

I have fooled around with the resolution settings on the control panel to no avail. Any ideas what may be up with my computer? Is my monitor ready to buy the farm? Any suggestions? Help!!!

Oenophile,

Hee-hee! Cowgirl's messing with you, guy! There's still a computer forum here. I think its where it always wuz but I just saw it before coming here. But as your question I'm sorry I'm no help and I'm no computer slouch either! So let me ask you this.. can you see Cowgirl's binoculars OK???

sudo

So let me ask you this.. can you see Cowgirl's binoculars OK???

Sudo,

Despite the fact that I ignored with reckless abandon the standard caveat that we adolescent males were charged with, my vision is fine for a middle aged guy. I know this because the text I am reading is crystal clear. However, to answer your question regarding Cowgirl's binoculars, I can see them but they are somewhat blurry.

Robin

Do you use AOL for your browser or ISP?

The new AOL compresses pictures and can cause them to look blurry or to load incorrectly.

If you are not having this problem with all pictures - only pictures from the internet - it may be safe to assume it's your browser A few things you can try:

1. Surf the web using Mozilla or Explorer. If you don't have Mozilla, it's the best thing since sliced bread for a browser and it's free. Mozilla has two-thirds less security problems than Explorer - check out www.pcworld.com for more info about the secuity issues. Mozilla's browser is called Firefox - here's the link: www.mozilla.org/firefox/

2. Check your monitor settings. Go to your Start menu, go to your Control Panel, and go to Add/Remove Hardware. Select the folder for your monitor and open it. If you see any red or yellow alerts, etc., then you may need to reinstall your monitor settings. Depending on the version of Windows you're using, you should be able to walk through it like a wizard, to make the changes. Check your video card settings too, while you're in there.

There's other issues, like memory, that can change performance with pics loading (or not). For now, try these things. Based on your first post, it sounds like it's only happening when you're on the net, so I believe it's browser related.

Tag us back and let us know how it works or doesn't for you. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get there!

Oenophile,

Re:"Despite the fact that I ignored with reckless abandon the standard caveat that we adolescent males were charged with, my vision is fine for a middle aged guy."

Hee-hee! But do you have to shave the palms of your hands??

sudo (who did it until he needed glasses)