GreaseSpot Cafe

Don't Waste Your Cancer

The following is an article written by John Piper, a fairly famous Baptist minister. He has written a number of books and articles. His website is Desiring God. Rev. Piper was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and is being treated for the same. I believe this article was written before he underwent surgery as part of his cancer treatement plan.

I can't tell you how offensive I found this article or how angry it made me. I can't imagine that anyone other than those who revere Rev. Piper would like this or even put up with this type of thinking. Doesn't anyone ever challenge this guy or confront this type of theology? I can't help but wonder how this would be received at any cancer ward at any hospital in the world or say St. Jude's Children's hospital.

I should add that my opinion is permanently colored because my dad died of cancer back in 2003. I believe that if Rev. Piper suffered like my dad did the last few months of his life that he wouldn't be thinking about how he may be wasting his cancer. He would most likely be asking God why he had to suffer like that or what he had done to deserve such punishment.

I would like to hear your opinions of this article.

Don’t Waste Your Cancer

February 15, 2006

I write this on the eve of prostate surgery. I believe in God’s power to heal—by miracle and by medicine. I believe it is right and good to pray for both kinds of healing. Cancer is not wasted when it is healed by God. He gets the glory and that is why cancer exists. So not to pray for healing may waste your cancer. But healing is not God’s plan for everyone. And there are many other ways to waste your cancer. I am praying for myself and for you that we will not waste this pain.

1. You will waste your cancer if you do not believe it is designed for you by God.

It will not do to say that God only uses our cancer but does not design it. What God permits, he permits for a reason. And that reason is his design. If God foresees molecular developments becoming cancer, he can stop it or not. If he does not, he has a purpose. Since he is infinitely wise, it is right to call this purpose a design. Satan is real and causes many pleasures and pains. But he is not ultimate. So when he strikes Job with boils (Job 2:7), Job attributes it ultimately to God (2:10) and the inspired writer agrees: “They . . . comforted him for all the evil that the Lord had brought upon him” (Job 42:11). If you don’t believe your cancer is designed for you by God, you will waste it.

2. You will waste your cancer if you believe it is a curse and not a gift.

“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us” (Galatians 3:13). “There is no enchantment against Jacob, no divination against Israel” (Numbers 23:23). “The Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor. No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly” (Psalm 84:11).

3. You will waste your cancer if you seek comfort from your odds rather than from God.

The design of God in your cancer is not to train you in the rationalistic, human calculation of odds. The world gets comfort from their odds. Not Christians. Some count their chariots (percentages of survival) and some count their horses (side effects of treatment), but we trust in the name of the Lord our God (Psalm 20:7). God’s design is clear from 2 Corinthians 1:9, “We felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead.” The aim of God in your cancer (among a thousand other good things) is to knock props out from under our hearts so that we rely utterly on him.

4. You will waste your cancer if you refuse to think about death.

We will all die, if Jesus postpones his return. Not to think about what it will be like to leave this life and meet God is folly. Ecclesiastes 7:2 says, “It is better to go to the house of mourning [a funeral] than to go to the house of feasting, for this is the end of all mankind, and the living will lay it to heart.” How can you lay it to heart if you won’t think about it? Psalm 90:12 says, “Teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom.” Numbering your days means thinking about how few there are and that they will end. How will you get a heart of wisdom if you refuse to think about this? What a waste, if we do not think about death.

5. You will waste your cancer if you think that “beating” cancer means staying alive rather than cherishing Christ.

Satan’s and God’s designs in your cancer are not the same. Satan designs to destroy your love for Christ. God designs to deepen your love for Christ. Cancer does not win if you die. It wins if you fail to cherish Christ. God’s design is to wean you off the breast of the world and feast you on the sufficiency of Christ. It is meant to help you say and feel, “I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.” And to know that therefore, “To live is Christ, and to die is gain” (Philippians 3:8; 1:21).

6. You will waste your cancer if you spend too much time reading about cancer and not enough time reading about God.

It is not wrong to know about cancer. Ignorance is not a virtue. But the lure to know more and more and the lack of zeal to know God more and more is symptomatic of unbelief. Cancer is meant to waken us to the reality of God. It is meant to put feeling and force behind the command, “Let us know; let us press on to know the Lord” (Hosea 6:3). It is meant to waken us to the truth of Daniel 11:32, “The people who know their God shall stand firm and take action.” It is meant to make unshakable, indestructible oak trees out of us: “His delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers” (Psalm 1:2). What a waste of cancer if we read day and night about cancer and not about God.

7. You will waste your cancer if you let it drive you into solitude instead of deepen your relationships with manifest affection.

When Epaphroditus brought the gifts to Paul sent by the Philippian church he became ill and almost died. Paul tells the Philippians, “He has been longing for you all and has been distressed because you heard that he was ill” (Philippians 2:26-27). What an amazing response! It does not say they were distressed that he was ill, but that he was distressed because they heard he was ill. That is the kind of heart God is aiming to create with cancer: a deeply affectionate, caring heart for people. Don’t waste your cancer by retreating into yourself.

8. You will waste your cancer if you grieve as those who have no hope.

Paul used this phrase in relation to those whose loved ones had died: “We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope” (1 Thessalonians 4:13). There is a grief at death. Even for the believer who dies, there is temporary loss—loss of body, and loss of loved ones here, and loss of earthly ministry. But the grief is different—it is permeated with hope. “We would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:8). Don’t waste your cancer grieving as those who don’t have this hope.

9. You will waste your cancer if you treat sin as casually as before.

Are your besetting sins as attractive as they were before you had cancer? If so you are wasting your cancer. Cancer is designed to destroy the appetite for sin. Pride, greed, lust, hatred, unforgiveness, impatience, laziness, procrastination—all these are the adversaries that cancer is meant to attack. Don’t just think of battling against cancer. Also think of battling with cancer. All these things are worse enemies than cancer. Don’t waste the power of cancer to crush these foes. Let the presence of eternity make the sins of time look as futile as they really are. “What does it profit a man if he gains the whole world and loses or forfeits himself?” (Luke 9:25).

10. You will waste your cancer if you fail to use it as a means of witness to the truth and glory of Christ.

Christians are never anywhere by divine accident. There are reasons for why we wind up where we do. Consider what Jesus said about painful, unplanned circumstances: “They will lay their hands on you and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors for my name’s sake. This will be your opportunity to bear witness” (Luke 21:12 -13). So it is with cancer. This will be an opportunity to bear witness. Christ is infinitely worthy. Here is a golden opportunity to show that he is worth more than life. Don’t waste it.

Remember you are not left alone. You will have the help you need. “My God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 4:19).

Pastor John

©Desiring God

Permissions: You are permitted and encouraged to reproduce and distribute this material in any format provided that you do not alter the wording in any way, you do not charge a fee beyond the cost of reproduction, and you do not make more than 1,000 physical copies. For web posting, a link to this document on our website is preferred. Any exceptions to the above must be explicitly approved by Desiring God.

Please include the following statement on any distributed copy: By John Piper. ©Desiring God. Website: www.desiringGod.org. Email: mail@desiringGod.org. Toll Free: 888.346.4700.

I didnt read it all just bits and pieces.

I didnt like the sound of it.

He should address the fact he will probably live but the cancer will waste the function .

I think that is what really is bothering him . I think that is what he should write about. <_<

cancer is not a gift from God, I do not believe that but I do know lingering long standing illness happened to Gods people and many were not "healed" imediately even with the apostles praying for them night and day.

To me it sounds like very typical religious nonsense.

The Bible makes all sorts of promises. Prosperity, health, joy, peace, - all of that sort of stuff - but (to me anyway) is quite often found wanting in the "follow though" department - i.e. The miracles DON'T happen.

So what's a good Christian to do? Well, they could toss the whole theology as mindless superstition (somebody I know has done just that), or they could do like the good reverend here, and cook up a whole lot of spin doctored theology to explain away the obvious contraditions.

I don't find it that remarkable that someone so dedicated to an idea is willing to go to ridiculous lengths to keep from admitting the obvious, I see it everyday right here at GS, or at any church I've ever wandered into...

Folks, it sounds to me like a poor fellow struggeling with a life threatening situation and trying desperatly to place it within the parameters of that which he can understand and be at peace with.

It sounds like he is trying to glorify God and speak praise ... address the questions, fears and doubts of his parisioners that care for him.

Does it REALLY sound any more outrageous than what we were taught ?....ie cancer is a devil spirit that posesses our body....that you have left a door open somewhere spiritually to be attacked. You must simply *believe* and it will go away and all will be made well.

When our friends succumbed....did we blame the disease? Oh heck no we blamed the poor sufferer because they just couldn`t quite muster the believing necessary to defeat satan......it was always the sick persons fault.

Come on, fighting cancer is a scarey place to be....the guy seems to simply be trying to reconcile all of the suffering a pain with a God that he obviously loves and wants to trust....not offend people with vile herecies :(

Dod gonit Rasal you took the works right out of my mouth.

It does sound like he is scared and trying to put a good responce to it.

My wife came out of cancer praising God and uses it as motivation for others.

Me I remember the fear, pain, costs, and waiting.

If you or a family member goes thru cancer you know about waiting.

Mark,

Would you please expand on your reply?

Well, since this is not the 'doctrinal' forum, I'll hold most of what I'd say, but it comes pretty close to what Rascal says.

Christ, throughout the gospel accounts, repeatedly stated "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me."

The apostle Paul repeatedly spoke about enduring the sufferings of the flesh for the sake of the church. For example, he said in 2 Cor, For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. If we are afflicted, it is for your comfort and salvation; and if we are comforted, it is for your comfort, which you experience when you patiently endure the same sufferings that we suffer." Again, in Colossians, Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

It becomes clear that his sufferings were made profitable by God for the good of the church. It is obvious that this pastor recognizes this. It is also evident that he recognizes the temporal nature of the flesh. Again, as Paul stated in 2 Cor, For this slight momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison...

And so his response (or at least the response he is trying to make) is one of thankfulness. For it is all for your sake, so that as grace extends to more and more people it may increase thanksgiving, to the glory of God. And, always and for everything giving thanks in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to God the Father.

As George said, To me it sounds like very typical religious nonsense.

And, it is. Unless and until you look at things with some slightly different eyes than what are normally used.

BTW, I do have a parent who has endured years of pain and who, somehow, has managed to keep cheer, even as he knows that his only relief from the constant pain will be death. I have also had friends who have suffered with cancer and have managed to keep grace and peace, even when all efforts have failed and they have the "opportunity" to go through their purgatory on earth. So, yeah, I've seen it myself.

George,

I always enjoy hearing your opinion about various things. I can really relate to how you feel and what you say about God and religious topics.

Rascal,

Of course the guy is scared. I understand that. I'm not without empathy or compassion. I just think the ideas he is espousing are offensive. I have read other articles of his and highly disagree with his theology. He believes in Calvinism and one of Calvinism' main tenets is that God chooses some to go to heaven and others to go to hell. It seems the non-elect are going to hell and they don't have any choice in the matter. What's the good news of the gospel to them?

Piper, in one of his articles about the tsunami that struck Southeast Asia stated that every great tragedy is an opportunity to repent. Repent of what? Piper seems to believe that God sends tragedy our way so we will turn back to Him (God). Just to flesh out this line of thinking: God causes something bad to happen in your life so you will turn to Him for help in getting through the very thing that He sent in the first place. Piper makes it sound like God has Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome. Munchausen by Proxy Syndrome is where someone, usually a parent causes a child to get sick and then the parent gets some kind of weird satisfaction out of taking care of the child and making them better. Doesn't anyone else think that kind of thinking is simply insane?

Piper has a large following and is revered by many. As a minister many think that what he says comes straight from the mouth of God and never question him. I just think that kind of blind allegiance is dangerous.

I don't dislike Piper. I don't know him. I do dislike and disagree with his theology.

I would like to hear your opinions of this article.

I vehemenently disagree that God gives us diseases and sicknesses to teach us a lesson, or to bring us closer to Him.

In fact, I think that's sick.

Would you give your children, loved ones, pets, etc. ... dreadful painful diseases to bring them closer to you?

I vehemenently disagree that God gives us diseases and sicknesses to teach us a lesson, or to bring us closer to Him.

In fact, I think that's sick.

Would you give your children, loved ones, pets, etc. ... dreadful painful diseases to bring them closer to you?

I believe if you closely read the article, you'll find out that the author does not disagree with you.

It will not do to say that God only uses our cancer but does not design it. What God permits, he permits for a reason. And that reason is his design.
If God foresees molecular developments becoming cancer, he can stop it or not. If he does not, he has a purpose. Since he is infinitely wise, it is right to call this purpose a design.
Satan is real and causes many pleasures and pains. But he is not ultimate.

There is a difference between "giving us" something and "allowing" something.

Searcher, I understand you feeling offended, really.....however I do not find his perspective any more offensive or wrong than twi`s understanding and doctrine on cancer.......

I repeat...what I personally see here is a man struggeling to praise God under the most trying of circumstances.

I see him struggeling to place his pain and suffering right or wrong into a context of that which he can understand and accept spiritually and achieve a measure of peace during the scariest time in his life.

Further more, if God is the loving heavenly father that we believe that he is....I imagine that it probably isn`t doctrinal issues he is critiquing at the moment ....but possibly the heart and trust of a man whom has tried desperatly to walk and glorify him during the most trying time in his life....

Just my pov is all.

Edited by rascal

In find it offensive and in many ways IMO doctrinally unsound (it rains on the just and unjust alike)

But

What I see in the big picture is a man whose methodology for coping with his disease is to decide it is a "gift" from God rather than deal with the fact that even though he has led a Christian life, he still is just as sick as the sinner on the street

You know, I've had a nice, long post set up. And I just erased it.

Why? Why not?

I have heard a lot of people say "this is sick" -- "this is disgusting" etc.

I have seen literally none of you refute what the man has actually said. And when I mean refute, I mean to show where he has misinterpreted scripture and what the correct rendering of those scriptures are.

This thread has been moved down to the doctrine basement, so it's now OK to cite chapter and verse. I don't fully agree with the man and I've done so already.

The rest of you are in pile-on mode though. I feel this way. I feel that way. He's wrong. He's sick. Throw a kick, throw a jab, but you don't, in fact, show what is right instead.

If he's so sick and so wrong, break it down. Sentence by sentence...What did the man say that is wrong. How is it wrong. Prove that it's wrong. And show what's right.

(and the miraculous part about all this is that I, as a dyed in the wool Catholic, am defending a Baptist...whom I don't even 100% agree with...but you all are being plain wrong-headed about this stuff)

Oldies, I am glad you posted that link, but that study doesn't totally impact what the man is talking about. It appears to me that you're trying to bottle him up in a PFAL lesson, when that's not even what he's talking about.

Oh, well. Some lessons in Christianity are too tough to learn, I guess...

If he's so sick and so wrong, break it down. Sentence by sentence...What did the man say that is wrong. How is it wrong. Prove that it's wrong. And show what's right.

Mark, that's not my style in most cases ... you want Wordwolf. :)

The PFAL/STFI lesson is what I believe, at present; and it contradicts a key element of what this man apparently believes... i.e. God's sovereignty.

Therefore, I thought that citing the teaching from STFI is best to show what I believe.

They teach the topic better than me.

If you feel strongly that God allows sickness and pain and it is a gift from Him, go ahead and make your arguments.

It seems to me that what the man is saying is essentially that people with cancer can use it to "higher" purposes and if they don't, they waste it. I'm not religious and I don't agree with him on the specifics, but it is true that many people have suffered afflictions and found fulfilment and purpose through greater service to their God and their fellow humans than they might otherwise have found, had it not been for their afflictions.

Mark, that's not my style in most cases ... you want Wordwolf. :)

The PFAL/STFI lesson is what I believe, at present; and it contradicts a key element of what this man apparently believes... i.e. God's sovereignty.

Therefore, I thought that citing the teaching from STFI is best to show what I believe.

They teach the topic better than me.

If you feel strongly that God allows sickness and pain and it is a gift from Him, go ahead and make your arguments.

I already stated my position in this post, earlier in the thread.

I do not 100% agree with Piper, the author of the article. However, I do believe that he comes close to recognizing the truth (even though he doesn't fully capture it). I see him as skirting around the issue.

On the other hand, what I am stipulating is that Christ called all of us to take up our cross and follow him. Whatever that cross consists of. And, according to the scriptures I cited above, your endurance has merit, regardless of what it is that you are enduring. What that particular cross is.

IMHO, he's trying to find the merit. I will agree that he is going around it the wrong way. But he is trying to resolve those very difficult verses in the Pauline epistles with his life.

BTW, (and this is a SEPARATE -- related but separate -- issue) what do you think about Hebrews 12:1-13? (If you'd like to read, click on the link) -- please don't given the ultradispensationalist brush-off to those verses, either.

I am sort-of curious. The subject of suffering (of whatever variety) and endurance, along with their clearly Biblically indicated merits is something that I believe TWI, along with several, but not all, parts of Protestantism miss altogether.

Mark, I'm sure you're not referring to my post... but can't people just have an opinion?

Tom, I'm not at all. I also don't have issue with what George said. I just hate seeing people condemn something out of rote -- without honestly examining the issue. I think this issue is one of the most insiduous ones that folks get from the theology of TWI.