GreaseSpot Cafe

american idol

excathedra

Garth-

Yeah, it's a "copy" of other shows-and the purpose of any of these shows is money-for the sponsers, the network, and, if their lucky, the winners. We all know that. It is a business.

Now, if they can make this business enjoyable for the public to watch-so much the better. As with anything on the tube-don't like, turn it off. For those that do, for whatever reason, we can enjoy pulling for our favorites.

Tonto-yeah, Surviour does bring back some memories. I watched the "Real World" ( at in the beginning-it's gotton really bad) for the same reason. Some of the dynamics reminded me of every Way home and WOW family I had.

"Memories-light the corners of my mind"-at least what I still can remember. :biglaugh:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I felt bad for the kid when Ryan Seacrest said, "Good-bye Chicken Little!" or something like that - last night. I mean, the kid is sorta geeky looking, but he's only 16 years old. He did more than many adults would dare to do.

Seacrest is also dumb as a bag of hair - he's said some incredibly insensitive things to contestants and judges - yet Simon always gets the best of him - love it!

I wouldn't shed a tear if Seacrest moved on - for the life of me, I can't figure out how he got Caycee Caseum's gig doing countdowns - he's not that great and doesn't have a good radio voice - just average.

I guess we're just juvenile kids at heart and thank goodness we're not alone given the incredible ratings and participation from the viewers.

I do agree that if Seacrest fell off the face of the eart tomorrow there would be a lot of people who wouldn't be the least bit upset.

Chas, I can't quote the source, but I do think I read somewhere that he bullied himself into Kasem's job. The general consensus is that it won't last long unless they get rid of him.

My wife and I watch American Idol. The first year I did not watch until the end. I preferred Justin and my wife like Kelly Clarkson. Kelly won.

Then cam the Ruben versus Clay fight. I thought Ruben was good, but not great, and I thought Clay was great and so did my wife and most at our office rooted for Clay. Problem we saw was that Clay looked to pixie and almost feminine and Ruben looked more like a man. We thought Ruben might win anyway. He did.

We both could not stand Fantasia. Whatever talent she had was lost on people. She lucked out. We were rooting for LaToya London that year and she was eliminated.

Last year we thought Carrie Underwood was the best. She was. She won. That simple.

This year there is boat-loads of talent. But the right ones do seem to be eliminated. Kevin, a lot like a pixie like Clay, was nice, but we knew his time was coming and it just came. He's out. Among those left we feel Ace is the worst singer and look for him to be on the bottom three much in the future until he leaves. Mandisa is a great singer for soul and R&B, but that is all. Paris is the same way. They have limits and they do not appeal to a broad audience. Lisa can appeal to a broader audience but does not have the loud screaming voice that Mandesa and Paris have, so she is judged for that. I think Lisa is a future talent.

Elliot Yamin has a great voice but is limited in what to sing. I doubt he can rock. He will last a couple more, hit the bottom three, then finally go. Taylor Hicks has a warm and comical and charismatic appeal. I see him going to the top four at least. Katherine McPhee is becoming a top contender and in my opinion beats Mandesa hands down. She can go from low to high and soft to loud back to soft while Mandesa is only a shouter in my opinion. When I see Mandesa do something different, and the same with Paris, I'll believe they will be true contenders to the end.

Bucky is a good country singer. He will go in the next two shows however, no more than three. Ace will be gone in the next three shows as well. Bucky should try Nashville.

Kellie Pickler is getting better. She may make it to the top five but frankly she should try Nashville and the Opry. She is fantastic at country and is a doll. She'd sell a lot.

My bet is on Chris to win American Idol this year. Everything he sings turns to gold. His rendition of "I Walk the Line" was amazing and I want to buy it. It was the good. What a rocker this guy is.

I agree Brenna was obscene. We couldn't wait for her to go.

Oh yeah, the top four this year for American Idol:

Chris

Taylor Hicks

Mandesa

Katherine McPhee

My bet is on Chris to win American Idol this year. Everything he sings turns to gold. His rendition of "I Walk the Line" was amazing and I want to buy it. It was the good. What a rocker this guy is.

fyi...the big stink about this thing here..is that the band called "Live" already did this version of "I Walk The Line", and Chris's version is almost a damn near copy of it...bald head, clothes, vocals, everything

a difference is...Live actually worked with Johnny Cash on their version, and released it before this season of Idol even began

btw...dont get me wrong...i think Chris is awesome, and is good enough to win this season, but is gonna be a rock star whether he wins or not...but the producers, or someone, really needs to fess up about how original it is NOT

:spy:

Edited by sirguessalot

Todd - you are correct about Live and how Chris is copycatting them - he's smart, because Live hasn't been in the limelight enough lately to really be remembered, so people are now going, "Ooooh! How original!"

However, since he's not a sugery pop singer (i.e. Clay) (who spends too much time in AOL chat and gets busted for stupid things) - he's the best thing going on there, IMOH...

Ya know, I think it's a cool show. I like music, play some, and I like to sing too. Yes, I like to do karioke (why couldn't those Koreans picked a better name for it?!) with my wife. My wife and I even do harmony duests together, which blend nicely.

And so, to see people get up on stage which I know to be really scary, is fun to see. And yes, although, I have never watched an episode with all of the really bad "talent" (I have only seen previews with some clips of the terrible singing), it really is hilarious to watch. Yes, Belle, you put it perfectly; "Where are these people' true friends??"

But, I am never hooked into TV enough to know when the dang show comes on, and then end up missing it. We watched it maybe last year? When some gal beat out this long curly haired white boy. He had brown hair.

And now, the question: How many of you faithful fans actually call in and vote for who you think should be kicked off or whatever? Or is it just a vote for who you want to continue on, leaving the other(s) voted off?

I have friends who actually do this. Amazing to me. Is it like a nine hundred number where you pay per minute to make the call? And if so, who gets the money? The poor ones who got voted off the first night? And so, who here votes?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I heard somewhere that Britney Spears is a "product" of Star Search. Is true? Not my kinda music at all, but, if she did make it in that way, I guess that's good, although, I am not a fan of "Pop Tarts".

Lingo... I'm pretty sure it was Leann Rimes that was on Star Search... Brittany and Christina were on "the new mickey mouse club" (or something Disney)... which Jessica Simpson also tried out for but didn't get... OK... that's the entire depth of my knowledge on all things pop tartish or american idolish...

Edited by Tom Strange

It's a toll free number...and you can vote as often as you can get through in the 2 hours immediately after the show. You vote for those you want to see stay. The one who gets the lowest number of votes is the one who leaves.

I vote...even put the number on redial because it's so hard to get through.

Or you can text message your vote and those always go through.

I do have a funny story about that, though. :redface2: Last season I voted for Bo Bice a bit and during each show I would program his number to text message into my address book. I would hit "Bo" and then hit send or something like that....anyway....my boss's name is Bill and his number is directly above "Bo" in my address book.

I came into work one morning after the show and he asked me what the heck I had been drinking last night and why I text messged him "Vote" over and over and over again. :biglaugh: I've since come up with a better system....

What a disappointing evening, imo.

Lisa did Kelly Clarkson...but couldn't.

Ace...I couldn't get beyond why his hair looked like the cats had sucked on it all night, so I don't even know what Ace did.

Kellie was off key and screeched.

Mandisa screeched.

Chris was pert near boring.

Katharine was off key or something not so good.

Bucky did pretty good, imo...better than I've ever seen him do.

Elliot impressed me for the first time.

Taylor took it down a notch and did a really nice soulful thingy that I would love to have a CD of all such thingies by him.

My girl Paris walked away with the show tonight, imo.

Tomorrow night we'll see. At this point I can't say.

I agree, CW - The whole show had a bad vibe or something. It wasn't even fun to watch last night. <_<

I did feel that Bucky redeemed himself - country is definitely his thing and that's what he should stick with.

Paris? Sorry, I just wasn't all that impressed. :(

Ace - LOL! What was with that???? Don't they have mirrors backstage?

Elliott - :blink: He just doesn't do it for me. I also hate his hair and wish he'd get rid of the bowl cut look.

Katharine - was painful to watch and listen to.

Taylor - :love3: He's my man!! :wub:

It's anybody's call. I have no clue how the voting is going to go after that debacle of a show.

I remembered why I starting watching Idol-to try to catch up with "today's" music. And this from a gal whose idea of a must read is Mike Wallace's memoir.

Yeah, Paris made it worth the watch-I didn't know the song so I had nothing to compare it too, but at least she acted her age.

Come to think of it, didn't Simon at one point encourage her to do just that-and then blasts her last night for it?

As for the rest-something must have been in their oatmeal-it was painful to watch.

ahhhhhhhhh

anyway todd, good point, since that group really were the originators of the version of "i walk the line" they should get a mention of course !!!!!!!! don't know if it's chris's fault or american idol's. when chris had to do stevie wonder, he did mention the red hot chillie peppers....

i read how elliott sp? can't read the internet lately because he gets sad about his teeth. once he gets money, he's gonna' take of them. also he has like almost no hearing in one ear. i know he's probably not attractive enough to win the american idol, but man close your eyes and listen to him sing

i have more comments, but you can find them on-line anywhere ;) ;) ;) ;)

but hey i'm still a fan. i feel like i get to know these kids. yeah i'm a soft touch but so is most of america i guess

paula looked straight last night

Yep, toppie...Simon's told Paris to act her age several times. Of course, when she did, Simon complained. Called Paris "precocious" for doing Brittney(sp?)! Yet when Kellie did something similar Simon called her "a naughty little minx". What's with that? Simon can picture Kellie being sexy but can't picture Paris being sexy? Uh huh. I see how it is...sigh.

Anyway, Elliot is growing on me. Maybe because I learned that he struggles with diabetes in a big way (which is probably the problem with his teeth)...maybe because he just stays soooo adorable while the others are getting way too commercial and all like that...ya know?

Speaking of commercial and all like that...what is up with Kellie's stylists????? She's looking more and more like a very bad mix of Marie Osmond and Barbie...and less and less like Kellie Pickler. Did you all see that hairdo last night?????

So Lisa is gone. Well, she started off great...then something happened. Don't know what, but she never did get back to the place she was at in auditions.

I was surprised to see Katharine in the bottom 3. Hmmmm!

Next week's theme is Country. Time for Kellie and Bucky to outshine most of the rest...if they can...but I have a feeling Taylor is gonna walk away with the Country theme. And I think Katharine has a good shot at redeeming herself with the Country theme...if she will.