GreaseSpot Cafe

Table Wine

satori001

I like La Crema Pinot Noir,

Also, Oenophile told me about that Paralell 45 - and we bought some - excellent wine!

Before meeting oenophile I went to the liquor store around the corner from us. The owner is a wine expert. Whenver we are visiting someone we tell him what the food will be and our price range - and he recommends a wine - haven't gotten a bad one since!

Now oenophile. I just read an article in hubby Texas Law magazine about a lawyer who also writes for two newspapers about wines. She focuses on the $15 and under range and tries to take the mystery out of wine. I think you might be good at this in your area.

Oh what she says about burgundies: "If you love burgundies, I hope you can afford them."

LOL

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey oenophile one more thing,

I was driving up 35 today on my way to 121 and I saw rows and rows and rows and rows of grape vines! They had just been started, it seemed, but there was a sign about it being a vineyard. Just seemed strange to be so close to the freeway. I wonder if that will negativley affect the grapes or the resulting wine.

Hey, Oen, what are some of your favorite small, local wineries?
Good question Belle. There is a small winery in Northern Michigan that puts out some astounding sparkling wine aka "champagne", L. Mawby Vineyards. Crisp, prickly with a hint of yeast.

I was driving up 35 today on my way to 121 and I saw rows and rows and rows and rows of grape vines! They had just been started, it seemed, but there was a sign about it being a vineyard. Just seemed strange to be so close to the freeway. I wonder if that will negativley affect the grapes or the resulting wine.

Doojable...Nah. One of the world's most wine estates is right smack dab in the city with all kinds of traffic whizzing by. Chateau Haut Brion in Bordeaux. However, vibration from noise or other means does have a negative effect on wine. Try taking a bottle of red wine on a several hour ride in a car and open it immediately when you arrive. Yech!

Oh what she says about burgundies: "If you love burgundies, I hope you can afford them."

That's the truth. Burgundy is tres cher. However, look for some more moderately price burgundy from the village of Rully. Also the village or regional burgundies will be more moderately priced than vineyard specific classified burgundy and sometimes better...especially if the producer is better at his craft.

Hey oenophile one more thing,

Well ya know... Grapevine, Tx is near there...

i was at a food and wine show the other day and at the wine tasting they had a white burghdundy

it was great

Never tried it. Wonder what 'white' means?

We tried a White Merlot, and found that it was smoother... although the color is still dark~

Wine for me is a whole new world... glad for this topic... it's been hit & miss for years

I used to live in Northern Italy, where some of the finest wines in the world came from. The way to get the best wines there was to by them by the demijon (a large container sized from 5 to 50 litres) and bottle it yourself. The best wines I have had came from an area near the Slovenian border, called Cividale del Friuli. However, there were vinyards all throughout the Friuli Orientale and Friuli Occidentale growing regions that were simply outstanding. The trouble is that they kept the best stuff for themselves!

One thing that was a speciality up there was a particular kind of wine called Fragolino. It was flavored with strawberry essence...you might be thinking Boone's Farm, but you'd be wrong. Just like Merlot has a little bit of a plum-like flavor, Fragolino has a very delicate flavor that isn't exactly like Strawberry, but alters the grapes ever so slightly. (The problem is that there were no legal producers of it, so you had to know a local who knew how to make it...to get the good stuff)

----------------

But as far as table wines available for reasonable around here, you ought to check into the Aussie wines. They actually are not too bad. And they are quite a bit more reasonable than comparable California wines (which, imho, have really gotten overpriced)

Demijon???? WOW!! (There is a term I haven't heard for a while!) :dance:

Flatt And Scruggs Lyrics - Hot Corn Cold Corn

CHORUS:

Hot corn cold corn bring along the demijohn

Hot corn cold corn bring along the demijohn

Hot corn cold corn bring along your demijohn

Fare thee well Uncle Bill see you in the morning yes sir

1)

Well it's upstairs downstairs out in the kitchen

See yer Uncle Bill just a raring and a pitching yes sir

(Chorus)

2)

Well it's old Aunt Peggy won't you fill 'em up again

Ain't had a drink since the lord knows when yes sir

(Chorus)

3)

Well yonder comes the preacher and the children are a crying

Chickens a running and the toenails a flying yes sir

(Of course this demijohn musta had moonshine in it, eh??) ;)

Edited by dmiller

i was at a food and wine show the other day and at the wine tasting they had a white burghdundy

it was great and i never knew there was a white one

any one else?? drink.gif

In the most of the world wine is labelled as varietals or the kind of grapes it happens to consist of. However, in Europe wine is labelled by the region that it comes from. That is because they have had over a 2,000 year jump on everyone else. For instance, if it comes from Burgundy and its a red wine, by French law the varietal must be pinot noir. So Europeans generally take the varietal for granted and concentrate on the region. If it is a white wine from that region it has to be Chardonnay. Within Burgundy there are many villages produce their own style of burgundy (red or white) because of the soil, climate and exposure. It gets even more specific with specific vineyards within the village.

while in germany back in the 70's MY uncle lived there} i had a white wine that was so good it was like.. well i don't know!

my uncle would travel to france once a year and buy a bunch of it from a monistary

that was the only place yyou could buy it.

it was wonderful it almost tasted like drinking a boquet of flowers

We tried a White Merlot, and found that it was smoother... although the color is still dark~

Both Merlot and Zinfindel are red grapes. What gives red wines their color are the coloring of the skins. In order to make a white wine from red grapes usually with a blush, the wine must be short vatted with minimum contact with the skins during fermentation. The skins do have some tannin as well but since the wine is pumped off the skins early it doesn't pick up much. So the finished product is a soft, uncomplicated and generally pleasing to the tastes the majority of wine drinkers.

Well ya know... Grapevine, Tx is near there...

yes Tom - but I was just NORTH OF FORT WORTH. That's what took me aback. But, you're in good company - hubby said the same thing you did. And I answered him the same way I answered you.

I'll have to find out that name of that vineyard.

Oeno - I just bought three of the wines on your list - i'll get back to you on them.

yes Tom - but I was just NORTH OF FORT WORTH. That's what took me aback. But, you're in good company - hubby said the same thing you did. And I answered him the same way I answered you.

I'll have to find out that name of that vineyard.

Oeno - I just bought three of the wines on your list - i'll get back to you on them.

They (Grapevine) also have a festival each year... check it out next time it comes around... it's fun!

MARKOMALLEY wrote:

One thing that was a speciality up there was a particular kind of wine called Fragolino. It was flavored with strawberry essence...you might be thinking Boone's Farm, but you'd be wrong. Just like Merlot has a little bit of a plum-like flavor, Fragolino has a very delicate flavor that isn't exactly like Strawberry, but alters the grapes ever so slightly. (The problem is that there were no legal producers of it, so you had to know a local who knew how to make it...to get the good stuff)

I've had Fragolino - it's divine! I had a salesman I worked with bring me some when he came to the US from Florance. I've seen it in our liquor stores here - in NH you can buy some wines in the grocery stores (and beer, of course), but the liquor stores carry much more wine (but no beer).

They also had something that was made from wine (with a real high alcohol content) but went down like 80 proof Southern Comfort - painful! :confused: But quickly made you forget your worries!

They also had something that was made from wine (with a real high alcohol content) but went down like 80 proof Southern Comfort - painful! :confused: But quickly made you forget your worries!

Grappa!!! -- Distilled from fermented grape skins that had already been pressed for the wine. Pretty nasty straight (imho), but the good stuff was flavored with various herbs...that made it pretty good.

There was a Chinese restaurant we went to all the time in Pordenone that gave out shots of grappa after the meal. Then you kept the little ceramic cup they served it in.

Fragolino - great!!!!! had it at my borther's wedding in Sicily last Easter season.

Grappa - well if I has to say anything at all I would say, "Grappa is crappa!" too bittter - but they love it there - they believe that the bitters either prepare you for a big meal or helps you digest a big meal (my Dad's imput here.)

So Mark - what about Limoncello? I have a recipe and I want to know if its worth it. It's not a wine but one woman here raves about it.

Fragolino - great!!!!! had it at my borther's wedding in Sicily last Easter season.

Grappa - well if I has to say anything at all I would say, "Grappa is crappa!" too bittter - but they love it there - they believe that the bitters either prepare you for a big meal or helps you digest a big meal (my Dad's imput here.)

So Mark - what about Limoncello? I have a recipe and I want to know if its worth it. It's not a wine but one woman here raves about it.

I love limoncello! But I just buy it in the store and keep in in the freezer. The only note is that it can tend to be a bit dangerous...

['oenophile' 'Mar 30 2006, 10:45 PM']

Lindeman's Bin 65 Chardonnay. Because of the warmer climate in Australia, this wine has butterscotch, vanilla and apricot flavors. ($10-12)

Thanks for this suggestion. I printed your suggestions and took the copy with me to Sam's Club yesterday. This is the only one that Sam's had. I opened a bottle of it tonite. Very good. AND for less than $5.00 per bottle at Sam's. I am not much into white wines, but I like this one.

:love3:

Moony, The Chardonnay is the only one I noticed since that is the one that oneophile and a couple of others had recommended.

I bought two bottles since they were so cheap!!!!!!!!

My good friend Debbie is getting married next month and is moving to Dallas where her fiance' lives. So I went over recently to help her pack. She told me that she and Stephen have 'virtual happy hour' when they arent together. They both get a glass of wine and crackers and then one will call the other one, and they will drink wine and eat crackers as they talk. I thought that was too kewl!!!!!!!!!!! She also told me that she has 'happy hour' most every nite. I told her that I had never even thought of doing that by myself, since hubby is gone every other nite. She suggested that I do it. Well, tonite, I have!!!!!!!

Then I thought, in twi, I rarely had enough money to spend on wine, only necessities. I have been out almost 12 years and have had the money, but still had the mindset not to do frivilous things, I guess. :thinking:

WELL, I am on my second glass of wine, and I will be in bed shortly. I have done spring cleaning today and I am worn out. I hope I sleep like a good baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <_<