GreaseSpot Cafe

Table Wine

satori001

This was in the Dallas Morning News under the headline "Budget Wines":

PINOT GRIS/PINOT GRIGIO

Lindemans, South Eastern Australia, Bin 85 Pinot Grigio 2005, $8.99

The wine displays intense melon fruit with medium body, good acidity and a long finish.

CHARDONNAY

Hardys, South Eastern Australia, Nottage Hill, Chardonnay 2005, $6.99

This is a nice, clean, fruity wine, with aromas and flavors of apple, citrus and vanilla, with good balance and length.

Little Boomey, South Australia, Chardonnay 2004, $5.99

A soft, round wine with baked apple and spice aromas and flavors and good length in the finish.

Virgin Vines, California, Chardonnay 2004, $9.99

This is a light chardonnay with pear, green apple, vanilla and faint tropical fruit.

CABERNET SAUVIGNON

Five Rivers, Paso Robles, Cabernet Sauvignon 2003, $8.99

A well-balanced wine showing concentrated, lush, juicy, black and red berry fruit with spicy oak notes.

Pascual Toso, Mendoza, Maipu Vineyards, Estate Bottled, Cabernet Sauvignon 2003, $9.99

A tasty, lively wine with summer berry fruit and nice balance. A great value.

SYRAH/SHIRAZ

Bianchi "Elsa," Argentina, Syrah 2004, $9

This wine has "chunky-monkey" ripe, dense, black fruit spiced with pepper, and a finish that lingers.

KingFish, California, Shiraz 2004, $4.99

A classic shiraz with deep, dark color showing reds and purples. It is youthful, with deep, blueberry fruit. Extremely well-made.

Virgin Vines, California, Shiraz 2004, $9.99

A wonderfully easy-to-drink wine with red cherry fruit. It is simple, lively and balanced.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

I have the very happy circumstance of being married to a man with a nose for both wine and chemistry; I generally sit back and let him choose. Over the years, a few have been memorable enough that I learned their names; Conundrum (a white varietal from California; it's expensive, but worth a splurge for a special occasion), most anything by Yellow Tail or Kendall Jackson, a neat white varietal from Oregon named "Evolution Number Nine" (similar to Conundrum, but "less so," and less expensive). My personal all-time favorite, so far, is Louis Jabot's Beaujolais Villages (am I spelling this correctly?); I stock up whenever there's a sale. We've also learned that many, many of the best wines come from tiny little vineyards in tucked-away places.

I say that Beaujolais Villages is my favorite "so far" because Rhino still hasn't agreed to send me any :( of his homemade, which is undoubtedly ambrosia.

Ah, wine. I miss it.

The Ladyhopper has been either prego or nursing for the past 4 years, which means little wine for me.

Rosemount Shiraz is a favorite inexpensive wine we used to have quite often. We do have some bottles of Chateauneuf du Pape still sitting around from our trip to France (about 4 years ago....hmmm). The bottle I am looking forward to the most is of the domain name Chateau de la Gardine, 2000, probably not cheep here. I think it is about time we popped that sucker.

I think there are a lot of nice inexpensive Pinot Noirs around that have only been getting popular recently. They are nice subtle lighter reds that haven't always gotten the respect they deserve.

But alas, I have been out of the loop for a few years.

Nice trick.

Find a decent bottle of Sparkling Rose', like Moet Chandon. Get yourself some good chocolate. The good stuff, bittersweet. Let the chocolate melt in your mouth and down your throat. Mmmm good on it's own. BUT take a sip of the Rose' while you still have some chocolate at the back of your tounge. You'll get a real nice black cherry taste right there in the back of your throat and with the sparkling wine that flavor kind of sprays back up into your mouth. Ooh la la.

It is a fun desert thing to do and perhaps a little sassy for you dating singles or a special occasion for us wedded folk. Be careful though, you may end up wine-less for the next several years.

Edited by lindyhopper

Yes, Australia has a 'wine glut' at the moment, the wines you mentioned can be bought for 2 bucks a bottle here. Aussie reds and New Zealand whites, very hard to beat !

ZShot beat me to the 'punch' with Lambruscos, mine and Selinas favorite and winter time every now and then we do a nice hot mulled wine.

• 7 months later...
Rhino - I'm just teasing you - no pressure.

May your grapes live long and prosper.

:dance:

I just saw this, so thought I better respond to Nika from Octoburrrr ...

Well, my "Ambrosia" is often mixed with red soda, and I have recently tried coke. Considering what I have in my vineyard, I'm probably at $8/bottle now, though that is no indication of quality. :beer: My 2006 wine is still in carboys in the basement. This year most got frozen with a warm early spring then a couple days with low 20's.

I don't think I would enjoy any wine I had to pay over $12 for ... my tastes are not that refined :)

Edited by rhino

Never vacation in a country that doesn’t produce it’s own wine”! I forgot who told me that, but I think it works?

Napoleon apparently enjoyed Gevry Chambertin by the glass. I don’t know if he paid more than $12 dollars a bottle though!

An interesting wine book to read is, Nazis, Wine & War. I forgot the name of the author, but a good book covering the deals made from before, during and after WWll. Also if you have a chance to visit Bordeaux during the bi-annual wine expo, you will meet the industry and have a great time doing it!

Bordeaux and Burgundy wines are really worlds apart, and I think difficult to compare. But like all wines in Europe you can spend a lot of time and money learning what you like!