GreaseSpot Cafe

Are there any good grocery store dog foods?

Linda Z

Despite the fact that I live in a pretty large city, there are only two pet stores anywhere near my house. Every time the pooches run out I have to fight the mall traffic or the on-the-way-to-the-mall traffic to buy more. Plus the stuff's expensive. It would be really nice to be able to pick up a medium-size bag when I grocery shop, rather than lugging a behemoth bag into the house so I don't have to go to the pet store so often.

So I ask you: Are there any good dog foods that are sold in the grocery store? Don't get me wrong. I want my furry housemates to have good, healthy food, and I'll keep hauling it if there aren't any alternatives out there.

And furthermore, I don't even know if I'm buying the healthiest "designer" dog chow. I have them both on Nutro Max for Weight Control, because I was told it's good, high protein food. My vet says it's fine.

What do you all feed your dogs?

(And for those who make your own super-healthy concoctions for your dogs, my hat's off to ya, but I barely cook for myself anymore, so that's out!)

My vet (a state vet supervisor) recommended Iams. Trey has been on it since he was a pup, has never had more than a cold or two in his 7 years. It comes in many varieties for the size, activity and condition of the dog. No complaints here, and it is about 75 cents a 40 lb bag more at the grocery than at the pet stores for me, so I figure its not worth an extra trip.

****Posted by Abigail who is feeling too lazy to log Sushi out and log back in :D *****

My vet is of the opinion that pretty much any name brand dog food is good. We use Pedigree, and our oldest dog is now nearly 15. He is now having a lot of problems with his hips - but other than that he is in great health.

Linda,

My golden/chow mix used to eat Gravy Train. He loved it and I didn't always make it "gravy" so that it was extra special when it was. :biglaugh:

My dog now is on Eukanuba and that's what most of the breeders I know use. At Pet Supermarket you can get on their 'frequent flier' club and you get a free bag after buying 10 bags. If you sign up the system is supposed to keep up with it, so there's no cards to get punched or receipts to have to save.

Also, ifyou have dog shows in your area, they are always set up in a booth as is Pedigree and they have incredible sales there because those folks at dog shows spend ridiculous amounts of money on their dogs.

We used to feed our Lab gravy train. When he started having atrocious breath, I contacted our dear Dot Matrix who told me about human grade dog food, Canidae. We've fed our dogs that ever since. Hershey loved the Canidae snap biscuits. He drooled every time we brought the bag out. Our cocker spaniel likes the wet food mixed with dry, and he loves snap biscuits as well. The dry costs about $19.99 for 20 pounds and $27 for 40 pounds. I'm with you about carrying a huge bag of food in the house (and storing it also). The wet food costs about $1.29 per can.

I don't know what you can get at your store but here is a chart. I do by mine Nutro at a pet food store. Check out this link and you can see the difference in foods.A lot of food says it contains chicken but see if it says by-products. If it does you are getting chicken yep you really are, the only thing that the law is as far as the by-products is that it does not have poop in it. It can have any part of an animal. The parts of the chicken you are getting is beaks,feet and other worthless parts.

http://www.feedmypet.com/dog-food-comparison.html

Edited by justloafing

Linda, we have fed our dogs Old Roy premium (walmarts store brand) for twenty years with good results.

It is inexspensive and compairs protien vitamine wise with most name brands and sometimes even better. Their coats are good and do not get ill.

My bouvier lived to 13 on it and my shepherds are into their teens with no health issues. Sometimes we mix in others if they are on sale...but we always check the ingrediants and protien levels.

As far as brands in a grocery store... I agree with abi/sushi pedigree is very good.

My mother on the other hand has fed a particular name brand religiously that is pretty expensive and lost two of her shepherds to cancer.

Designer brands are nice if you have 1 dog or small ones...but when you have multiple large dogs it just isnt` possible.

I did the Iams to help him lose weight .

it didnt work I was harrassed till I caved .

the difference is also the Amount in what they need to eat, the lesser brands have "filler" ingreidents that are less able to satisfy an animal so more is needed for them to be satisfied .

they eat more so they poop more. and the poop is less quality.

hah seriously if you feed a premium brand they will digest better.. meaning they will eat less and they waste MUCH less.

eating less means not buying so much food.. get the idea?

the better brands suggest a small amount of food per day and that amount works and feeds the animal well.

the store brands have the ingrediants that amount to "junk" and leaves the animal with less actual nutrition .

he may need to eat more , and poop more on the cheaper brands.

hence you will go through more food than the seemingly "more expensive ' brands. So are you really saving any money?

about the loading problem.. we have a service that you buy your food from and they drop off the food on any given day on your porch or garage .

you can have a repeat order .. done , they just pull up drop off the food and go on their next way. or order by phone when needed.

All pet supplies anything you would need. litter food etc..

I used it for many years.

here is the killer it was MUCH cheaper than the store price even with delivery.

because they had standing orders and many customers they are able to give a better price.

they had several types of food and stuff.

Your vet may know of such a service in your city.

it is a nice service and saves all your complaining about.

Look in the yellow pages some may be listed .

Lucca

Being the designer dog that he is eats this- Sojos Read Here

Now Linda I know you said - And for those who make your own super-healthy concoctions for your dogs, my hat's off to ya, but I barely cook for myself anymore, so that's out!)

But this is pretty easy all you have to do is add water unless you want to add other things(Lucca loves peanut butter in his) They will pay the shipping to your door don't even have to go to the store,and you will have a happy healthy dog.....

order here

Edited by WhiteDove