Inward Paths

i wonder...

how deep do we go?

how deep have we gone?

i mean...how deep are we already?

is there even a bottom to us?

if so, what do we call this?

and if not, what do we call this?

has anyone found the bottom of their well?

how far have you taken your candle into that inward darkness?

and with all the scriptural references to the inward life

why does it seem that so much of modern Christianity gives only a shallow nod towards such things?

as if God can be in us, and the Holy Spirit can be in us, and Christ can be in us

...but we are not allowed to go very far ourselves

so i would like to dedicate this thread to scriptures regarding the inner path

as well as personal reflections and sacred questions regarding such things

this is not intended as a place for doctrinal disputes

but a place of sanctuary from such things

may we find that palace of inner peace

where the prince of peace is said to live

grace and peace

Proverbs 20:27

The spirit of man is the candle of the LORD,

searching all the inward parts of the belly.

Psalms 18:28

For thou wilt light my candle:

the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.

(oops, i meant to post this in doctrinal :redface2:)

Edited by sirguessalot

John 17

Somehow in all of my bible studies I do not remember ever reading this chapter. Commonly known as The Prayer of the High Priest, when I was first shown this chapter I felt as though life finally came into focus.

Verse 3 in particular: "Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."

This is eternal life.

It just resonates within me like a tuning fork.

The question immediately reminded me of an old blues song by Blind Willie Johnson, that in its rhythms and lyrics begs the same question

Soul of a Man

Won't somebody tell me, answer if you can!

Want somebody to tell me, what is the soul of a man?

I'm going to ask the question, answer if you can

If anybody here can tell me, what is the soul of a man?

I've traveled in different countries, I've traveled foreign lands

I've found nobody to tell me, what is the soul of a man

I saw a crowd stand talking, I came up right on time

Were hearing the doctor and the lawyer, say a man ain't nothing but his mind

I read the bible often, I tries to read it right

As far as I can understand, a man is more than his mind

When Christ stood in the temple, the people all stood amazed

Was showing the doctors and the lawyers, how to raise a man from the grave

Won't somebody tell me, answer if you can!

Want somebody to tell me, what is the soul of a man?

I'm going to ask the question, answer if you can

If anybody here can tell me, just what is the soul of a man?

I have no answers-its much bigger than I thought or was taught

quote:i mean...how deep are we already?

is there even a bottom to us?

if so, what do we call this?

and if not, what do we call this?

Eccl 3:11 - He hath made everything beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.

So from our perspective, there is a bottom. No matter how deeply we may search, there will be a place(s) where we see "this page cannot be displayed", so to speak, but there is no limit to what we can search. We can always search with reasonable expectation of learning SOMETHING.

God first

Beloved Todd

God loves ua all

I have not found the bottom of my spirit within me

I have not found the bottom of my spirit out side of me

Nor have I have not found the top of my spirit within me

Nor have I have not found the top of my spirit out side of me

Nor have I have not found the left side of my spirit within me

Nor have I have not found the left side of my spirit out side of me

Nor have I have not found the right side of my spirit within me

Nor have I have not found the right side of my spirit out side of me

I just have no seem any of my spirit limits

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Is there a bottom? As we continue to learn and grown, doesn't the well deepen? Aren't new connections and insights made?

I think the inward path has to do with listening and learning from our 'other' mind, the unconsciouse mind some say, or sub conscious. The part that is not necesarily verbal or numerical, that speaks in symbol, image, dreams.

In my mind I often have a fleeting image of time--but it is not a calendar like i see everyday on my wall. It is a type of line. I can't describe it with words.I didn't think it up, it just happens, I guess it is how that 'other'side of my mind sees time. No boxes.

One of my(non Christian) practices is using a set of cards, with symbols, not for telling the future, but to think deeply about a situation before me. The symbols help give a voice I can recognise to thwat other side of my brain.

In meditation you can run into a 'gatekeeper' a frightening image. Many people will quit there, oh, meditation is sooo awful. But the gatekeeper is a symbol. It is protecting something important, and can be passed.

Is this question along the lines of "can we ever know ourselves" and "can we ever know God"?

yes and no

permit a tad rant...every word of which is dramatically incomplete

according to ancient scriptures...one can wrestle with God and win

according to others....God was described as being known, touched, tasted, handled, and seen

but there is indeed a distinct end, which is also a new beginning

and if we ask, we will find, as the scripture says

if we stop asking, we will not find

amazing how the questions, and not the answers, are the key

and when we find that the ground of all is a clearing

and we can rest in the witness of that invisible God

and the fact there is no answer in the clearing is the great answer

and we will be free from the great search when we can rest in this

though we will also be free to keep searching for other things

now, that is freedom, imo

and a radical grace

we will find comfort in mystery, and the enigmatic nature of things

paradox and contradiction will no longer rattle us

and we can let go of our death-grip on control and perfection

and the world will cease being the frightening nasty wilderness

because right here, right now, it will spring forth life eternal

and we will realize that nothing has really changed, but ourselves..within

Edited by sirguessalot

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was just thinking & came to greasespot looking for you Todd - my thoughts would be good to chat with you about. Well, you're not here, but lo & behold, this thread is.

Which is more real? Our lives as we know them or God's thoughts on us?

God is the fountain of living waters.

We are living water poured out.

Before we flowed out, we were with God in his thoughts. We were the thinking of God. Though our life in this flesh ends, yet we will be in God's thoughts.

How is it that we will awaken, called forth from the grave, again to know life - not only again to know life, but to have a sense that it is really ourselves even though the soul life we have now will not be the life we have then. How can this be? Only because God will remember us, and, again, our lives will flow forth from Him, the fountain of living waters.

So I say that our sense of ourselves, no matter how deep, is not as real as God's thoughts.

To have a sense of the living water that we are is to, or rather may be to, sense the years of desire and the surety of eternity that resides in the heart of God concerning us and everything else that he thinks about.

We were made flesh, but begotten (not made) of the Father.

We came out from what God is.

Before we came out, we were still of Him in Him.

We just hadn't come out yet.

Remember?

ha...very nice, Tom

thanks for adding your thoughts

i really like this part...

We came out from what God is.

Before we came out, we were still of Him in Him.

We just hadn't come out yet.

Remember?

yes...i have come to think of our spiritual brokenness as more of a state of amnesia

and our life's work can be summarized as a remembering of our original nature

because, in essence...we already always are what we have always already been

...from the very beginning of time

if we truly are a stream in a fountain, we are always already spiritually soaking wet,

and our seperation from God is a deep forgetting and misunderstanding of how inseperable from the fountain that we always already are

ultimately, even the boundaries between that which is within and that which is without will vanish

...we are that wet

Edited by sirguessalot

And experpts from here

"Galut means being imprisoned within a fragmented perception of reality, on all levels: fragmentation in time, space, self and community. It affects how we view ourselves, others, and all the events in our lives. It is our inability to see the underlying unity in all of reality."

"Geulah, redemption, on the other hand, is seeing the wholeness, the unity and the underlying G-dliness within creation. It is the perception of the connecting thread and the unifying force in everything--people, places, events"

"That is why the Hebrew word for exile, golah differs only in one letter from its counterpart, geulah, redemption. Golah is missing the aleph (one) contained in geulah. It is lacking the perception of Oneness, the unity, the wholeness, the Divine underlying purpose of its creation."

"Every mitzvah that we do within galut draws down this aleph within each of us, and within the world at large. Mitzvah means connection. Every mitzvah uncovers the concealed purpose of this moment, or of this created matter, and thereby connects us all to our Creator.

Because drawing down this aleph consciousness is something that is in the powers of each and every one of us."

One day at a time. One mitzvah at a time.

True courage is to 'hold fast' the faithful Word.

Are you posting without regard to the topic of the thread you're in again? Or do you think courageously holding fast to the faithful Word is an inward path?

Oh, I see - back a few posts; you're just arguing with Clay again. I should have known.

That statement/principle you just stated - is that the Word? I don't remember seeing that in the Word anywhere.

The Word says to give thanks for God's goodness. I hold that fast; it doesn't take any courage at all.

On the other hand, courage is to keep heart in the face of danger - even "unbelievers" do that.

Where in the faithful Word does it say that true courage is to hold fast the faithful Word? And if that's not in the faithful Word, then what Word are you holding fast to by saying that?

Argue with Clay & Todd every chance you get? Even if you have to make up statements & make believe they are the Word to do so? And act like you're holding fast to the faithful Word when you do so?

Way to keep heart in the face of danger.

God first

Beloved All

God loves us all my dear friend

just a little fun here

The Israelites know the way to the inward paths but they needed God's help to find the outward paths at times

but at times they had to fight there way to the inward paths with God's help

does this tell us when we get trap in places like the Way Ministry cult with God's help we can find the way out better but most of us just jump out blind

but thanks to God and Pax we have a place to cast away even the bad dreams of the Way Ministry our trap while Egypt was the Israelites trap

While the Israelites inward paths were to the land of milk and honey our inward paths are to the spiritual land of light and truth

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

True courage...And to stay firm in the face of ridicule, persecution etc...You're right Tom, I was addressing Clays comment, but as usual, you're welcome to 'butt in'. Clays comment was "true courage is to face the inward you" (Biblical) ? Your comment was "True courage is to stand firm in the face of danger" (Biblical) ?

My comment was "True courage is to hold fast the faithful Word". I never said it was a scripture.

And I also (presumed) you had read Titus 1:9 at some point.

Allan, why shouldn't Tom "butt in"? Afterall, you do it time after time after time after time. Have you noticed that basically no one here appreciates your input? That doesn't stop you from offering your insulting, non logical, non documented, lies and insults does it?

Of course what you said wasn't based on scripture. When is anything you post based on fact, much less scripture? So, once again - lacking in any true courage yourself, you must insult those who are NOT lacking in it.

In fact, that too is what makes you a bully. Bully's lack courage - they fake courage to try and intimidate others, but in reality they have none.

So once again, you will derail a thread with opff topic comments, insults and lies. So what is new. But ya know what, we will continue to have our conversations even if there are sidebars with you.

Edited by Abigail

""Galut means ...

That's great stuff, Abigail - thanks. I'll take the time to look further."

Egypt, Tom. In a way, we are all still in Egypt. Enslaved to the rules and bounds of the physical world. Yet, God has freed us from Egypt, we just don't always remember that. In many ways, that is exactly the crux of what Jesus taught.

Jesus taught of the underlying unity. That was a large portion of his message. That is why he became angry with the pharasees in the Temple. That is why he spoke of the good samaritan, that is why he spoke of "he who is without sin" casting the first stone. Ultimately, that is the redemption he spoke of too.

Is that not also the message of the epistles? That whether bond or free, Jew or Christian, we are all one in Christ? Is becoming one in Christ truly just a matter of repeating Romans 10:9 and 10 like some sort of mindless formula? Or does it require more of us? Some thoughts and actions with respect to who we are and who those around us are?

Truly, that sense of oneness is THE key element that is missing. If there were truly a sense of oneness, would we kill each other off over religion, land, oil? If there were true oneness, would we ignore the hungry begger in the street? If there were true oneness, would we sit at home staring at the t.v. while others work to pay for our food?

Think about it - how different would this world be if instead of fighting each other - we saw the unity.

People who don't understand see "Mitzvah" as some sort of law or rule one must follow. Another "law" Jesus supposedly set us free from. What they don't get s that Mitzvah is what Jesus taught about. Because when we step ouside ourselves and perform a mitzvah, we truly are taking another step forward down that inward path towards recognizing who we really are. And in doing so, we also reunite another fragmented piece.