GreaseSpot Cafe

"Put me in, Coach."

LG

Senior with Down syndrome fulfills dream

Sunday, October 16, 2005

By TIM MacMAHON / The Dallas Morning News

The home crowd at Keller ISD Stadium rose to its feet as soon as Lyndon LaPlante jogged onto the field during the fourth quarter Friday night.

The fans went wild during LaPlante's 99-yard touchdown run, which ended with him being mobbed in the end zone by his Keller teammates.

Never mind that the pre-arranged play didn't count. It fulfilled a dream for LaPlante, a senior who has Down syndrome. He maximized the moment by flashing a Heismanesque stiff arm as he crossed the goal line and hamming it up on the sideline after play resumed in Keller's 35-21 win over Richland.

"Man, it was awesome!" said LaPlante, who was still cradling the game ball when his mother, Genni, woke him up Saturday morning. "Everybody said, 'Lyndon! Lyndon! Lyndon!' I was crying with chills."

Keller coach Kevin Atkinson had planned for three years to get LaPlante a carry his senior season. He hoped an opposing coach would agree to allow LaPlante to take a handoff and run over to the sideline to hug his coach.

Atkinson mentioned the idea to Richland coach Gene Wier, who suggested LaPlante should score. They agreed it would happen on Keller's first offensive play of the fourth quarter and notified the officiating crew before the game.

Perhaps it was fate that a Richland punt pinned Keller on its 1-yard line, giving LaPlante as much glory as possible.

Moments earlier, LaPlante had called his father, Don, to the guardrail behind the Keller bench. "I'm goin' in! I'm goin' in!" he said.

LaPlante has been a part of Keller's program since his freshman year, when he served as the freshman team's manager. Atkinson, smitten by LaPlante's upbeat personality, promoted him to student assistant head coach the next season. LaPlante specializes in motivational speeches, which usually focus on how much he loves Keller and his teammates.

"His heart is as big as Texas," Atkinson said.

LaPlante's unofficial duties also include greeting college coaches on campus to recruit. He'll introduce himself, title and all, and chat away.

"I've played y'all on PlayStation," LaPlante has told a few coaches, "and y'all aren't very good."

Atkinson allowed LaPlante to pick a position before his sophomore season. LaPlante chose to be a running back. He dresses out and goes through noncontact drills with the backs at the beginning of every practice. He's been known to then retreat to Atkinson's golf cart for a nap.

LaPlante, No. 1 on the roster, has suited up for every varsity game the last two seasons. He gets two carries during pregame drills every week. He usually removes his shoulder pads once the game starts and concentrates on taking pictures.

With some help from his mother, LaPlante has made a photo slideshow for the team at the end of each season. One ended with a mug shot of him accompanied by four words:

"Put me in, Coach."

LG,

Here's another one I got from Snopes.com

In Brooklyn, New York, Chush is a school that caters to children with learning disabilities. Some children remain in Chush for their entire school career while others can transfer into conventional schools. At a Chush fund-raising dinner the father of a Chush child delivered a speech that always be remembered by all who attended.

After extolling the school and its dedicated staff he cried out, "Where is the perfection in my son Shaya? Everything God does is done with perfection. But my child cannot understand things as other children do. My child cannot remember facts and figures as other children do. Where is God's perfection?"

The audience was shocked by the question, pained by the father's anguish and stilled by the piercing query. "I believe," the father answered, "that when God brings a child like this into the world the perfection that he seeks is in the way people react to this child."

He then told the following story about his son Shaya:

One afternoon, Shaya and his father walked past a park where some boys whom Shaya knew were playing baseball. Shaya asked, "Do you think they will let me play?"

Shaya's father knew that his son was not at all athletic and that most boys would not want him on their team. But Shaya's father also understood that if his son was chosen to play it would give him a comfortable sense of belonging. Shaya's father approached one of the boys in the field and asked if Shaya could play. The boy looked around for guidance from his team mates. Getting none, he took matters into his own hands and said "We are losing by six runs and the game is in the eighth inning. I guess he can be on our team and we'll try to put him up to bat in the ninth inning."

Shaya's father was ecstatic as Shaya smiled broadly. Shaya was told to put on a glove and go out to play short centre field. In the bottom of the eighth inning Shaya's team scored a few runs but was still behind by three. In the bottom of the ninth inning Shaya's team scored again and now, with two outs and the bases loaded with the potential winning run on base, Shaya was scheduled to be up. Would the team actually let Shaya bat at this juncture and give away their chance to win the game?

Surprisingly, Shaya was given the bat. Everyone knew that it was all but impossible because Shaya didn't even know how to hold the bat properly, let alone hit with it.

However, as Shaya stepped up to the plate, the pitcher moved a few steps to lob the ball in softly so Shaya should at least be able to make contact. The first pitch came and Shaya swung clumsily and missed. One of Shaya's team mates came up to Shaya and together they held the bat and faced the pitcher waiting for the next pitch.

The pitcher again took a few steps forward to toss the ball softly toward Shaya. As the pitch came in, Shaya and his team mate swung at the ball and together they hit a slow ground ball to the pitcher. The pitcher picked up the soft grounder and could easily have thrown the ball to the first baseman. Shaya would have been out and that would have ended the game.

Instead, the pitcher took the ball and threw it on a high arc to right field, far beyond reach of the first baseman. Everyone started yelling, "Shaya, run to first. Run to first." Never in his life had Shaya run to first. He scampered down the baseline wide eyed and startled. By the time he reached first base the right fielder had the ball. He could have thrown the ball to the second baseman who would tag out the still-running Shaya.

But the right fielder understood what the pitcher's intentions were so he threw the ball high and far over the third baseman's head. Everyone yelled, "Run to second, run to second." Shaya ran towards second base as the runners ahead of him deliriously circled the bases towards home. As Shaya reached second base the opposing short stop ran to him, turned him in the direction of third base and shouted, "Run to third." As Shaya rounded third the boys from both teams ran behind him screaming, "Shaya run home." Shaya ran home, stepped on home plate and all 18 boys lifted him on their shoulders and made him the hero as he had just hit a "grand slam" and won the game for his team.

"That day," said the father softly with tears now rolling down his face, "those 18 boys reached their level of God's perfection."

sudo

Both stories brought tears to my eyes.

The rabbi who wrote the story about Shaya said it's a true story told to him by the boy's father. The snopes commentator yammers on and on about how condescending the story is ...blah, blah, blah. I find her view cynical and too politically correct even for me. :)

Thanks for posting that, LG. And Sudo, I liked the one you posted, too, even if it was to take a poke at the one LG posted. (Maybe it wasn't, but it does seem that way.)

If you ever want to have your heart broken and uplifted at the same time, go to the Special Olympics. A few pats on the back and the cheers of loved ones and strangers go a long way toward making the special kids who run, jump, and wheel themselves around a track with their whole hearts feel proud.

Hats off to the kids and coaches in that Texas town. A cynic may call what they did "a pat on the hand" (snopes). I call it compassion and kindness.

Edited by Linda Z

Geeze Louise!!!

I wasn't poking fun at LG or his story. I LOVED his story. It just reminded me of the one I posted as it was similar. As Snopes sez... it coulda' happened just like the rabbi said so I posted it. Man... I'm sorry I even brought it up.

sudo

I guess I should explain the original contents of the post I edited out and why I did it. First, I'll explain why I posted the original story.

I was browsing the Dallas Morning News website today, as I do almost every day. I saw a story about something that actually happened just this Friday night. I thought that some people at GS might enjoy reading it, so I posted it as what I considered it to be, "Just a nice story." I didn't intend it to convey a lesson, and certainly not the lesson of the Shaya story.

The story from Snopes irritated me for two reasons. One was that it was from an urban legends site, which seemed to suggest that the story I posted might be of questionable veracity. Yes, I took that as an insult, though I see now that Sudo did not intend it as such. The other thing that irritated me was its lesson. Even as a child, such lessons said more to me about God being cruel than about people "reaching their level of God's perfection" by showing kindness. How in the world would God's cruelly causing a child to be born disabled teach anyone about His kindness? It didn't make sense when I was a child and no priest, nun, or lay teacher could ever satisfactorily answer that question. Even TWI's take on such things (which I don't agree with, either) makes more sense to me than that.

After reading the story Sudo posted, I wanted to respond, but I couldn't seem to compose a civil post, so I settled (briefly) on simply posting, "Not the point." Sudo asked what I meant, in a post that has since mysteriously vanished. At the time, I didn't feel like discussing it, so I just replaced "Not the point." with "-". So now I offer my explanation.

Sudo, I misunderstood your intent, and I was initially offended. Now I am not. I like the story you posted, but I don't like the lesson it seeks to teach.

Edited by LG

LG,

Actually, I agree with you in most respects. I saw the story I posted as one of how people.. even children who can be the MOST cruel... can have a better nature when called upon. The fact that the rabbi saw it as God's work or some such is the stuff that I routinely hear and let roll off my back. People say God blessed them for this or that. God DIDN'T bless them for this or that. I hardly even hear what they're saying when they get into whatever it is that the Almighty has or hasn't done for (or to) them, LG. People are superstitious and like to invoke their god(s) for their purposes. I understand this well. Living in a theistic society I try to go along to get along and am thankful that most folks' god(s) in this country aren't demanding they sacrifice children or some such.

So if some rabbi is ascribing to Jehova the actions of a few boys playing baseball... well I've heard it all before. And to tell you the truth, LG, I hardly hear that religious talk. I thought it was neat that those boys were so nice to a boy that would normally get picked on. Like I said... I'm sorry I even brought it up because now I've highly offended our religious readers in explaining my actions and no one's paying attention to the two heart warming stories posted <_>

sudo

...I'm sorry I even brought it up because now I've highly offended our religious readers in explaining my actions and no one's paying attention to the two heart warming stories posted <_<.

<center>sudo</center>

Nah, Sudo, I'm not highly offended. Your view that my faith is mere superstition is something I've grown accustomed to hearing from you. My heart's still warmed by the two stories. And frankly, I'd rather rub elbows with a couple of kind and honest guys like you and LG than with some of the religious hypocrites I've met who are only outwardly kind. I don't think atheism/agnosticism are contagious.

:)

Well, Sudo, I can understand why people were upset with the Snopes posting. The primary function of the site seems to be that of debunking myths (not that I have a problem with that). Your original post didn't indicate whether it was true or not, therefore, people tend to assume the negative. So, in conjunction with LG's thread starter, it appeared you were poking fun at it.