GreaseSpot Cafe

A different kind of Apprenticeship...

sirguessalot

Well, I thought i'd come out of the doctrinal dungeon to announce an apprenticeship program that i have been formally accepted into,

and with the hope that some (especially those who work in the fields of nursing, hospice, chaplains and such)

might be interested in hearing more about what i am doing,

but also, if anyone is interested in any of the related programs

(which are even open to people not in the healing arts)

i would be happy to answer any questions about them

and point towards related resources

This apprenticeship is part of "The Anamcara Project"

which is named and modelled after a very old Celtic tradition of healers and caregivers

and is being provided by the Sacred Art of Living Center

whose directors and faculty are world-renowned for their work with hospice, bereavement, life's transitions,

and recovery from religious and spiritual abuse

If you click on the Anamcara Project on the top left of the webpage

and then go to the bottom of the page

there is a PDF fact sheet on the apprenticeship

which says it all better than i can

The late Dame Cicely Saunders, the founder of the modern hospice movement

(which was based on a movement in Europe that lasted from 1000 to 1492 A.D.)

was one of the primary mentors for this educational center

one of the notable maxims of this art form

is that "the dying are our teachers"

also, something that is kind of exciting to me

is how some of the world's greatest teachers and thinkers on these subjects

are gathering around this project and considering it a sort of global center for this kind of work

here is some of the faculty i am and will be learning from in the years to come:

Richard and Mary Groves (main directors of the program)

Ira Byock

Thomas Golden

Dolores Krieger

Thomas Keating

John O 'Donohue

Parker Palmer

Rabbi Zalman Schacter Shalomi

Joan Borysenko

others...

Now, a naggin question, of course, is what is different than TWI's apprenticeships and programs?

for starters...just about everything

but most importantly, perhaps, is that this is not about getting the story pure and accurate

but about doing the work

also important, this is not an exclusive religious group

but an inclusive educational center full of actual degrees and experience

that is heavily overseen by more people than you can shake a stick at

frankly, i am still kind of amazed at how they can pull it off with so many outsiders scrutinizing it

and with people from so many different faith traditions participating

most of my fellow students, so far, have been nurses, doctors, chaplains, priests, monks, pastors, ministers, and hospice workers and volunteers

and i feel very lucky to be learning alongside all this amazing wisdom

As many of you know, i am just an artist, and interested in the spiritual life

but one of the big reasons i have decided to enter this kind of work

is because 75% of my friends and family are between the ages of 50 and 90

(inclusing most all of my gsc friends)

i can see no greater way to prepare myself to not only assist them in their passing

but to harvest the great wisdom that comes with growing in the latter half of life

i only wish more people my age saw the growing need for this kind of thing.

so much incredible wisdom can be lost...and so much unresolved suffering will be passed down

if we dont find better ways to age (and die) in the western world

(which is fast becoming the way of the whole world)

i have a feeling that my speciality will be along the lines of art and music therapy for the dying,

as well as consciousness studies for the living

anyway,

i am looking forward to talking a little more about it

though hoping we can keep things light

cuz i am really only a tadpole of a student in all this

and mostly just want to let yall know what i'm up to

and see if anyone else is interested

peace,

+ODD

Edited by sirguessalot

Your life will never be the same.

Some of the most intense living that I ever experienced was during the years that I was a hospice nurse. I never could have imagined the impact this would have on me and on my family.

One of the best analogies for me is that of a dying celestial star. http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/snr.html

They burn so brightly and so purely - there is so much energy at the end. No wonder it is called a super nova.

As an artist, you will be amazed at the response to your gifts. We had a music therapist at one hospice and I marvelled at the therapeutic effect of music in the last days and hours of a person's life.

I would never trade any time that I worked as a hospice nurse.

Kindest regards.

Hi Todd

I'm excited to see you this goes for you too! I'd like to check out Hospice as a Social Worker; maybe as in intern next year.

The experiences I've had with hospice thus far have been on the receiving end. When my maternal grandmother was dying, we brought in hospice and it was wonderful!!!!

When it was time for her to go, they encouraged us as to what to say, do, etc. The bottom line was to do whatever we wanted to do. The best part was that they suggested my then three year old daughter be there if she wanted to. It took alot of conversation and thought on my part to decided if that was good and I came to the conclusion it could be. She wanted to be there, as she knew Grandma Great was dying, and she had spent much time with her as I cared for her 10-12 hours a day. It was a very good experience for her and all of us.

I also got involved in Hospice Grief counseling after my husband died, although he died suddenly and we didn't use the services prior.

Good luck to you! Please keep us posted.

thank you both for your responses and excitement and well wishes

Shell, not sure where you live,

but this center also offers these amazing courses in OH and elsewhere

...world class material

and much worth travelling to

complete with CEUs for counselors

and with a strong respect for interfaith and cultural aspects of the work

...truly, a revolutionary continuation of Dame Cicely Saunder's vision

:)

feel free to email or pm me

and ebn57...thank you

that super nova is such an apt comparison of what it can be like

reminds me of "the law of dissipative structures," as described by Ilya Priogene:

"whenever any system in the universe breaks down, it always reorganizes into a higher order"

Good luck Sir G. :)

A friend of mine works with disabled folks, and occasionally brings her pet bird (charlie) into work.

Some of those folks who are non-verbal, severely withdrawn into themselves --

and who basically stare at their shoes all day long refusing human contact ---

will let the bird sit on their finger, shoulder, etc., and *talk* to it continually.

i have a feeling that my speciality will be along the lines of art and music therapy for the dying,

as well as consciousness studies for the living.

You can (and will) make a difference! :)

If a bird can do wonders for folks -- think of what you have to offer. ;)

please, no one respond to allan on this thread

though i fear it may be too late

thank you

btw...thank you dmiller for the story about the bird

my wife and i have long been interested in animal related therapies

Edited by sirguessalot

Sir G -- Yes --- *animal therapy* goes where no *man* can. :)

Bringing in a dog or a cat is a workable thing, and lot's of folks respond to that.

But there is something different about a bird.

Maybe it's the beak pecking at you,

Maybe it's the feel of the claws on your shoulder,

Perhaps it's the fact that it can fly from you to another person.

Whatever it is --- it has evoked a response from some folks who do nothing more ---

than stare at their shoes all day.

Your music and art, can do the same.

Everyone deserves dignity --- and you're there to give it to them.

sir, I wish you well in your endeavors. I'm sure you'll bring great comfort to people.

david, your mention of the bird reminds me of something:

When my aunt was in a nursing home years ago, I was allowed to take her two cats to visit her. Living in the nursing home was an elderly eastern Euroipean woman. Every time I went for a visit, she was sitting alone, staring silently, blankly ahead of her. I never saw her interacting with other residents or the staff. She always looked so sad. My impression was that she spoke no English (or, as is common in people with cognitive loss, had reverted to her native language).

On the days when I took the cats to see Aunt Casey, we would stop and visit with anyone else who showed an interest. That silent, sad woman would light up like you wouldn't believe. She would break her silence as she reached for one of the cats to hold on her lap. She would grin and chatter to him in her language, in what sounded like baby talk.

It's amazing how the human heart can be awakened from what seems like a deep sleep by the simplest things.

Edited by Linda Z

Looks like a wonderful organization and I know you'll defnitely make an impact.

I know quite a few folks who have therapy dogs and they, too, have the most heart-warming stories. Alzheimer's patients come to life and totally light up when the dogs come in to visit the nursing homes. I can only imagine how much more comforting all kinds of therapy must be in hospice.

I also think it's extremely admirable that you want to do something to help others with your incredible talents, +odd. :eusa_clap:

thanks again, you guys

and i tell ya...if anyone is interested...one of the most interesting and enlightening things i have been learning

is all the many different merging and intersecting histories of the world's various healing traditions

...ranging from 3000 bc to present

especially how there was some really amazing interfaith hospice work that happened in europe (especially spain) prior to the inquisition (when over 30 million books were burned throughout Spain)

...there were actual dialogues between jewish, christian, and muslim thinkers and healers surrounding hospice care in those days

and there are a ton of amazing manuscripts, artifacts and relics used in the historical part of these classes, too

where people from all over the world have just given this stuff to this center for the work they have been doing

i actually got to handle one of those tear-bottles mentioned in the gospels (made from the thinnest roman glass) from the first century

..it even still has salt crusted on the inside

for a kid like me...its kinda like being in an Indiana Jones movie..hehe

...i find this stuff almost as exciting and rewarding as learning how to communicate with people in a coma

Edited by sirguessalot

This is too cool!!!! I don't know you but I like your name!

I have not been to the doctrinal thread to see any of the other discussions....so I am flying a bit blind here!

I am looking forward to exploring that link!

It seems that quite a few indigious cultures have a natural way to exit the human experience! They call for a party and celebrate thier lives!

And then the departing person sits down and shuts down the body systems!

Now THAT sounds like a plan!!!!

"cuz i am really only a tadpole of a student in all this

and mostly just want to let yall know what i'm up to

and see if anyone else is interested "

I am VERY interested..... THANKS!!

Janet

My dad was in hospice for the last month of his life. We all knew he was terminal(copd) and had heard how difficult the last days often are for copd patients. Dad's lung doc reccomended the hospice.

Hospice managed dad's last days so well. He had enough of the right type of medicine to be comfortable those last days. The staff was wonderful, and as many family members as desired could be with him around the clock. Mom was able to stay in his room, which was lovely and not clinical.

I never cease to be amazed by the intertwining of the simplicities and complexities of life.

Monday we returned to our hometown to attend the funeral of a dear friend who died at the new hospice residence at the age of 95. She was one of my dearest, spriritual mentors. She always said, "There is nothing sweeter nor more satisfiying than knowing you are where God would have you to be." In the last year, she frequently would express a desire "to be called home" as she suffered with dementia and in recent days, a broken hip.

We were well prepared to celebrate her life with people we had not seen for several years.

What we were not prepared for when we arrived at the service was to find out that her daughter-in-law, who was also dear to us was transferred to the hospice the night before. Everyone thought that someone else had let us know about her brief but devastating illness.

We were unbelievably shocked. She was one of the people we longed to see - to laugh with and to cry with.

We were able to spend some good moments together and I am grateful.

But, I am reminded again at how the predictability and surprise of death affect me. When this topic was started, I responded as a nurse. Yesterday I responded as a well prepared friend, as well as a poorly prepared friend.

I never cease to be amazed.

well, believe it or not, E...that means a whole heckuva lot to me, coming from you

and btw...for what its worth...my mom's life turned inside out and upside down when she turned 50

(and in all the good ways)

it was a real crossroads for her...when everything started to come together

and all the crud and crapola of her early years began to change into her wisdom and her gifts

...and i think especially because she is actually watching it happen, and her kids are too

anyway...i long for a world when growing old can be seen as the gift it is

and to have the dignity and grace for when it is not a gift at all

(gawd, E, i hope that didnt sound like i think yer getting old fast or anything....i actually love talking to you for your youthfulness :redface2: )

Edited by sirguessalot