GreaseSpot Cafe

Help! How do I get rid of small tree stumps?

Linda Z

I have two small trees that are growing right up against my house. I cut them down and of course they grow back. Obviously I have to find a way to kill the stumps and roots.

I'd prefer some folksy, nontoxic method because I'd like to avoid dumping poisonous chemicals into the ground and don't want to risk harming my dogs.

They're about 3 inches across and I understand the time to act is now, when they're freshly cut.

I've searched the Web and found lots of toxic stuff. I also read you can burn them out--obviously not an option given their location. One site said drill holes in the stump and pour deisel oil down the holes, but I hate to buy a drill just for this.

I'm STUMPED!

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Thanks.

Thanks, guys, for responding.

Garth, one of these trees is extremely hard wood. Not sure what it is, but this time I got my nephew to do the sawing, and he said that one was a bear. I just had him saw it down to ground level. I can't imagine digging down and trying to saw underground, unless I want to dig a huge hole in my yard.

Rhino, I did read on one site that you should keep cutting back the suckers, but it wasn't clear to me whether that would actually kill what's left of the tree. I think that's the approach I'll take, unless someone comes up with a better idea. As much as I'd love to add a goat to my menagerie, I live in an urban residential area. Somehow I think my neighbors would object. It sure would cut down on the lawn mowing, though!

Linda,

Hi! My mother just had a whole row of trees cut down in her backyard. She said someone she trusts told her to cut a deep "X" in the remaining stumps with an axe and that would cause the stumps to rot. Since they were just cut down less than a month ago, it's too soon to tell if it worked. I'll try to remember to keep you posted, though.

Hope you find the solution you need soon.

wb

I didn't explain all the variables because I was in a hurry. From what I read, to be effective, whatever you use to treat these stumps needs to be applied within 2 or 3 hours after the tree is cut, while the cut is fresh.

Yes, I could have borrowed a drill, but the rains started coming down. I'd have had to drive to my mom and dad's to borrow Dad's electric drill, which I probably shouldn't/couldn't use in a downpour. And (even if I could) then I'd have had to go find some diesel oil (not sure where--this isn't a big truck stop neighborhood) and try to pour it down the holes without getting any on my rose bushes right next to where one of the trees used to be.

So far Rhino's solution sounds best. I can snip away the new growth as it springs up and try to kill the tree stumps/roots that way. Sounds like a plan.

Home ownership is not for sissies. I miss being able to call a landlord for repairs and maintenance.

Vickles!!! So nice to see you here!!

Yeah, the chain & truck thing would work, except I have a chain link fence around the yard, so there's no way to get a truck lined up right.

Who knew a couple seeds (probably pooped by birds ) could cause such trouble.

I think I'll try the cutting the new growth thing on one tree and the rock salt thing on the other, for my own little experiment.

God first

Beloved Linda Z

God loves you

I know of people putting used motor oil on stumps and around

then next year they add good dirt

but I do not know if this is best but I know people to do it in small amounts but there may be a better way

I all so heard of painting the stumps and they die

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Thanks for the precaution about salt, Krys!!

I think for one tree I'll go with the copper nail (I'm hoping they sell them at regular hardware stores) and for the other, I think I'll go with Rhino's suggestion of cutting back the suckers that sprout up around the stump.

Here's hopin'! Glad this thread was useful for you, too, Kit.

CWF, great to "see" ya here!