GreaseSpot Cafe

The pain of living with mental illness

Seth R.

Hi I'm Seth from NJ a.k.a. aeroseth.

Lately people I live with have been very judgemental, some of my extended family really are indifferent. My true friends are few.

I am at peace with who I am and what I am becoming, but there are people who just are so sick so warped that they need to cite my weaknesses and failures as reason to write me off.

God is on my side this I know, I do his will to the best of my capacity (which is diminishing every day) and still I get grief. I am tired, but not from running away. I am weary, but not from sorrow. I am in pain, but not from beating myself.

Having BiPolar type II depression has it's ups and downs. ;)

I manage my depression and mania with meds and therapy, but it never seems enough.

People I share honestly with sometimes think they have the answer for me, if they only had what I had they would realize they sound like idiots.

Just when I think I'm getting a grip, I slip off the monkey bars. People say get a job, I can get a job the problem is keeping it. People say do some inner work, I've done more inner work then anybody I know. People say pray and trust God, God and I laugh at that I pray all the time and God is my only trust at times. People say this and that.

The problem is I listen very well, and probly better then most. What I hear anymore is insanity, people telling me to do the same things that I have tried on countless occasions with the same result, but they expect some how to be the guru who knows better, and it'll be different this time. Bear Oil! Horse Feathers! Frogs Hair!

Seems to me my life as it is right now is a miracle, I shouldn't be here, I should be dead, but I'm not. If people want to judge let them judge, but beware.

Recently I had to add a new med and it was hard to tolerate for a week or so, I was hearing things and getting edgy, but I pushed through it, it caused me to gain 20 pounds in 2 months, and I was very sick from the weight gain. I had to adjust and now I lost 10 of those 20. This .... isn't easy, and people who don't understand just better shut up and back off.

Thanks for letting me vent,

Seth

Seth,

I feel for 'ya, man. You're pretty messed up and it's probably not your fault. Bi-polar, ADHD and all that goes with it. If I had my druthers, I'd take physical pain any day over psychic pain. I hope things get better.

sudo

God first

Beloved Seth from NJ a.k.a. aeroseth

God loves you my dear friend

They say I am BiPolar type II myself so I might know somewhat

But as for meds and therapy the way the world thinks I should do I gave up on that way

I used reading the word of God for Meds

And for therapy I use a close old friend I talk to when I need to or I post here to people I trust in private

Nows things have seem to get better I do not hide at home nor do the ups and down come as must

But you can see my ups here

On ups I post tread after tread but when I am noral I post about one a week

but that does not count replys

But when I am down I write jokes and they help

Maybe knowing I am one too will help

thank you

with love and a holy kiss blowing your way Roy

Seems to me my life as it is right now is a miracle, I shouldn't be here, I should be dead, but I'm not. If people want to judge let them judge, but beware.

Recently I had to add a new med and it was hard to tolerate for a week or so, I was hearing things and getting edgy, but I pushed through it, it caused me to gain 20 pounds in 2 months, and I was very sick from the weight gain. I had to adjust and now I lost 10 of those 20. This .... isn't easy, and people who don't understand just better shut up and back off.

Seth -- Wanna move to Minney-soda??

I'll be your friend, hang out, do whatever. :)

I hear ya about the meds. :( Docs do a wonderful job of prescribing them --

and let YOU deal with the *side effects*. :realmad:

One of *my guys* ( a client of mine in a group home I work at),

is both schizophrenic, and has advanced Parkinson's.

The meds he takes for the schizo thing (psychotropics), give him Parkinson's symptoms.

The meds he takes for Parkinson's (mostly Sinemet), give him schizophrenic symptons.

It's hard to tell what he is going through (daily) -- but we love him anyway. :)

He tells me (sometimes audibly - sometimes through gestures) what he wants,

and I make d@mn sure he gets it. :spy:

He used to take over 30 pills a day, and even though that it now reduced --

He still has the same seven different med times, on a daily basis.

(down to 21 pills daily).

Working with folks who have disabilities -- I have come to relate more to them,

than the *real world*. I don't give a ratzz foot for the *beautiful people*.

P!ss on the *real world* -- all they are about is the usual crap ---

money, glamor, fame, politics, success, etc.

I HEAR YA LOUD AND CLEAR. Hang in there, ok??

and if moving to Minney-soda isn't an option for you --

You can PM me ANYTIME. OK??

(PS -- a last side note here -- while out with some of my clients around town --

I will act as crazy as they can (at times) -- and the *real people* we see in town

are left wondering if there is anyone in charge of this insane group!!) :dance:

Edited by dmiller

And I ain't a sh!tt!ng about the pm thing. I know it can be rough.

I get *in the face* of the *beautiful people* all the time about their *discriminatory attitudes*.

they are jerks -- and NEED to be called on it. :)

Edited by dmiller

(((((((((Seth)))))))))))

Oh Seth,

I completely understand and my heart hears you and goes out to you.

I was diagnosed with bipolar II in 2000; however, it was obvious that I had danced with this illness at least since my teen years. My moods were worse on the depression side and the mania was manifested more as anxiety and paranoia. No words can completely describe the torment. And in my opinion it is torment.

I am not giving advice here. Each individual has their own journey. I understand what it is like to have tried "everything" and nothing works. Yet I can say that I am now well. People may scoof at that, stating that one will always have this illness. And I understand that; the propensity may always be there. But I have learned to recognize triggers, learned how to navigate, learned how to embrace and understand these intense and deep emotions. I have learned how to "cocoon" and take care if I foresee syptoms flaring. All I can share is my own story and on that I am an authority. It is a long story and I will not share it here. But you can pm me if you wish.

If you are a reader (and I understand if you have trouble slowing your mind down long enough to read) there are some books I have found helpful that you might want to take a gander at. Journaling has been a life changer (literally) and companion for me. Nutrition, some type of "meditation," counseling, and having friends that understand have been my anchors as well. The stigma regarding mental illness sucks (I rarely use that word :)). It sounds like you have sucessfully navigated/are navigating that aspect of your journey.

Some books: The Natural Medicine Guide to Bipolar Disorder by Marohn(not the "typical" natural approach), New Hope for People with Bipolar Disorder by Fawcett, Change Your Brain, Change Your Life by Amen, The HeartMath Solution by Childre, Cry of the Soul by Alleander, Molecules of Emotion by Pert, and if you are a woman (though I know Seth is a male name :)): Women's Moods by Sichel.

Much love,

CW

hmmmm....found this journal entry from August, 2004. For what it is worth it gives a tiny peek at the difference between depression and anxiety. And when a person experiences both in one day (which can happen with rapid cylcing bipolar), the fear and torment is even more overwhelming.

Entry:

August, 2004:

"Yesterday I was in tears with anxiety. I was on the edge of paranoia....All I could see were all the tasks to be accomplished and all the standards to keep....

My son asked this morning what it was like:

Son: "Mom, you were on the verge of paranoia."

Me: "I know."

Son: "When that happens, do you get afraid you will die?"

Me: "No. In fact, death sounds like a welcome friend when paranoid. It is more like a terrible dread of total destitution, that I will become or am a complete failure. It is paralyzing and takes deliberate effort on my part to move forward. But it is different from depression."

To describe the difference:

Depression is utter despair, despondency. Depression is an extremely heavy state. Depression is like a giant slug that is dying. Flexibility exists but cannot be accessed. It is like a big, thick piece of rubber that if only one had the strength and will and ability to bend the rubber, one would. Yet the strength is not there. There is weakness and a great, indescribable heaviness. Depression is a deep, dark hole.

Anxiety and paranoia are quite different from depression. They are like glass: straight, flat glass; a broad endless sheet of glass. There is no flexibility. There is fear; fear that if a wrong move is made the glass will crack and the world will fall apart. It is paralyzing.

With depression there seem to be no options.

With anxiety there are 1000's of options, but you might choose the wrong one and fatality will result. You can see but all the options seem at a far distance or overwhelmingly close...and there are 1000's of options."

End excerpt

How terrible for you to have to be going through this Seth.

It sounds like there are people around you that love you, their words that don't help are probably well meaning... but, they don't help.

I had a friend once that told me she was bipolar... at the time I was heavy into TWI... I brushed her off as being possessed... for that I'm still ashamed of...

:cryhug_1_: Hope you have more better moments than not~

Hi Seth,

I have an older brother who is mentally ill. My siblings and I oversee his care. His psychiatrist has said, that considering the extent of his illness, his quality of life is pretty good. We know it will never be great.

He lived with my parents for many years until their deaths, which was a hugely difficult time for him. Things are a little better now. He does find some simple pleasure in life, which is always good to see.

Take care! I hope you find support, friendships and some joy in life.

Thankyou everyone for the support.

I spend time in the Bipolar chat on about dot com, and in between sleeping and eating I spend time with friends. For my own mental health I do not read the bible, but I do read Buddhist stuff, Dr. Wayne Dyer stuff, my recovery books. My focus is on helping myself and others. Some days the best I can do is not leave my room, because if I do there will be pain.

In the morning I goto see my psychiatrist and my therapist we have much to talk about.

I started smoking again, it seems to help me cope, so it's better then causing a scene.

My Buddhist teachings have been a great comfort to me lately.

The four nobel truths:

The truth of suffering

The true cause of suffering

The true cessation of suffering

The true path to the cessation of suffering

The Two Principles of Buddhism:

1. The interdependant Nature of reality

2. Non-violence (or Alltruism)

The concept of "No Independant Origination" is very helpfull too.

Thanks,

Seth