GreaseSpot Cafe

Messing with telemarketers

GT

From the site:

A little while ago I put together a little application on our phone system so that when a telemarketer calls in, I can transfer them to this extension and annoy the hell out of them.

You must listen to the mp3 file posted there. Funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

http://creativebastard.com/comments/168/

10/16: That link died. See the one a few posts down though...

Edited by GreasyTech

• 1 month later...

I always try to listen to them, and even though I cannot buy their stuff, I try to be nice and cheery.

For many people (including disabled and other chair/home bound people), it's the only job they can get, and I figure that in addition to whatever physical burden(s) they need to endure, there also are those, such as these from the Greasespot Cafe, who work make their lives miserable. (One of the shameful things of this cafe.)

There but for the grace of God go I.

Gee, I really can't see anybody who responded here being rude to anyone. I don't know everyone's heart here, but I think we were all laughing at the absurdity of the situation, not trying to belittle anyone.

I know when a telemarketer calls me, I try to be polite. I do try to stop them when I know I won't be purchasing their products, because I really don't want to waste their time, or mine.

I'm not a telemarketer, but I have made lots of phone calls asking for peoples time and money and what have you for charity. I was very well trained on how to handle all sorts of people. While I appreciated a cheery disposition, (and was a sucker for corny jokes!) my day wasn't ruined when someone yelled at me, or put me on hold indefinitely.

I know a lot of people who choose to do telemarketing, because the hours are flexible, you can work in an office, or at home, and there are some people who just love sales. Many retired people do this, and college students do this too.