GreaseSpot Cafe

Only at Walmart

Ron G.

OK. So the story begins with me promising a bud to help him paint the Scout equipment trailer, yesterday.

Since the local Mao-mart has driven all of the local competition out of business, including the local paint and decorating shop and the Sherwin Williams, I am forced to head to Mao-mart for the paint. As you can sense, I have complete distain for Mao-mart.

It just so happens that the sporting goods section is right next to the paint mixers. We pick the color he wants and off the mixing goes. As the paint is agitiating, in comes the local aged 40+ something hucklebuck in the oil stained ripped Metalica tee shirt. He promptly storms back to the sporting goods counter, slams a half ripped open box of .357 magnum ammo on the counter and demands to speak with the manager. Off goes the PA system with "manager needed in sporting goods," five minutes later the manager appears (what service).

So the genius now screams at the manager: "I am returning this ammo and want a full refund, AND I am sueing Walmart for ruining my house!" Seems that the gentleman, Darwin award winner that he is, bought this ammuntion a few hours ago. He headed home, cleaned his revolver, loaded said ammuntion into the weapon and WHILE HE WAS INSTALLING THE TRIGGER LOCK ONTO SAID WEAPON IT DISCHARGED.

No joke. Our eyes started welling up with tears of repressed laughter.

I now interject into the conversation out of pure curiousity. "Sir," I state, "could I hear some details concerning this?" Surely such unsafe ammunition should not be sold to the public, and as a Scout leader myself committed to uphold the health and safety of our youth, I am concerned about the publics well bring (can you hear my id just rollin on the floor in hysterics?). Seems this gentleman loaded the gun, then cocked the weapon and then it discharged when he was placing the external lock to the trigger guard.

God there are some damn stupid people around Mao-mart.

He states that he has been doing this for years, YES YEARS, and never had a problem with all the other brands of ammunition he purchased at previously at Mao-mart. Damn sensitive primers. Who would have thought one would go off so easily when coming into contact with the firing pin? Hurry up CALL THE LAWYERS! This ammo is clearly defective. I think the Chinese are to blame for this cheap dangerous ammo (or at least he has been lead to believe).

And that, no joke, truly is what happened at Walmart yesterday. Can say the manager had his plate full to say the least.

PS. I had to go back and have the paint remixed, they failed to check the color after they added the dyes and the red had a nice blue tinge (go figure).

I have never used a trigger lock, but attempting to install one after cocking the hammer should be utterly counterintuitive for anyone having any experience with firearms.

The guy needed to be told to find a store with a chocolate or rubber gun department. If some lawyer takes his case, Wal-Mart should go after him and his client for attorneys’ fees.

Edited by Cynic

Well, I can't say I know what you're talking about w/ the ammo & guns... but, it sounds like it would make a funny video :)

I do know about mistakes and having to 'go back' to the store...

We too have our qualms w/ the BigMart... ours, which is VERY busy in the evenings, filled with families with small children that don't speak English, will only have two to four lanes open :blink:

I have LEFT once, after taking a LONG time gathering a FULL cart... only to find TWO LONG LINES... only two... an 'associate' from Jewelry calls me over, only to find she can't help me because I have FRESH PRODUCE...

I lost my place in line, no one would let me in... so I LEFT the whole darn thing, and shopped in the store down the road... a nice, clean, wide isle, English speaking establishment... and get this, the veggie burgers cost less there!

I've called their 'headquarters' three times... wanting to let someone know how terrible this place is w/ service and cleanliness... they ALWAYS HAVE SOMEONE FROM THE STORE call me back.... auggggghhhhhhh! "We're sorry the store was like that the night you shopped... we were having problems that night".... so, I let them know, "Please, don't call me, your store is having these problems EVERY DAY, and I just wanted to REPORT YOU" ;)

I just talk to the employees…”How do you like working here”? They don’t get enough hours to get good benefits… MAKES ME MAD!

I have never used a trigger lock, but attempting to install one after cocking the hammer should be utterly counterintuitive for anyone having even a cursory experience with firearms.

Counterintuitive?????? He shoulda been *counter-intuitive* when they passed the ammo over the counter!!

:D :D

Edited by dmiller

Perhaps I'm showing my ig'nerance here, but why would the gun (need to) be loaded when installing an external trigger lock?

Wouldn't gun safety dictate that the gun should be unloaded whenever your 'installing' or otherwise attaching something to the gun? The only time you would load the gun is to test it out *after* you installed your item.

Help me out here please.

:unsure:

Perhaps I'm showing my ig'nerance here, but why would the gun (need to) be loaded when installing an external trigger lock?

Wouldn't gun safety dictate that the gun should be unloaded whenever your 'installing' or otherwise attaching something to the gun? The only time you would load the gun is to test it out *after* you installed your item.

Help me out here please.

:unsure:

Garth,

Trigger locks are removable devices used to secure firearms from undesired discharges. The idea of putting a trigger lock on a gun is that the lock has to be removed from the gun in order to fire it.

A trigger lock can be used in an attempt to render safer an unloaded gun, but can also be used on a loaded gun that one desires to have for quick use, yet wants to prevent a child, an intruder, or some stinking Socinian, Unitarian or Democrat from picking up an discharging.

Handling an unloaded gun is obviously safer than handling a loaded one. If children are in the house, I really can’t help but recommend that firearms be locked up and/or disassembled.

Edited by Cynic

... or some stinking Socinian, Unitarian or Democrat from picking up an discharging.

You always say the sweetest things, Cynic. :wub: You ought to take these witty barbs of yours and write greeting and get well cards to sell at Walmarts. ... Kinda goes well with that cranky old lady cards that Hallmark sells.

:spy:

P.S., thanks for the explanation.

Edited by GarthP2000

Because Walmart is the nation's largest gun retailer. The guns need ammo.

I can't imagine going to Wal-Mart to buy a ..... gun!

That just doesn't seem right - I'm sure they have decent guns, etc., but just the same.... I'd think someone would have to go through a gun dealer to get one - not go to Wal-Mart...

Okay, I admit I know very little about guns...

So, maybe you can explain this...

WHY the %* does Wal-Mart SELL AMMO in the first place?

"Honey, can you get some diapers and batteries while you're at Wal-Mart today? Oh, yeah, and don't forget the bullets!"

Good grief!

Why wouldn't they sell ammo?

They do have a 'sporting goods' department, I have bought firearms from them. And we went by one this past weekend and among our listing list was also included ammo for one of our son's rifles.

So we do purchase firearms [sometimes] from WallyWorld, and ammo, and sometimes ammo is even on our shopping list.

I don't see the issue. Other than in the above story the guy was an idiot.

We do have a trigger-lock on the son's rifle. though I do not have anything on any of my pistols, nor on my rifles, nor shotgun. When we had foster-children in the house I walled-in the area where I stored my firearms. But now that we no longer have foster-children and have moved out very rural, we once again use our firearms at will.

:)

I can't imagine going to Wal-Mart to buy a ..... gun!

That just doesn't seem right - I'm sure they have decent guns, etc., but just the same.... I'd think someone would have to go through a gun dealer to get one - not go to Wal-Mart...

Walmarts that sell guns ARE gun dealers. They are governed by the same laws as any specialty gun shop.

It matters little to me whether MaoMart sells firearms and ammunition or not. I prefer buying from individuals, that way they're unregistered...which is as it should be. I don't buy much of anything from MaoMart, anyway since they're overpriced on most things and seem to cater to the folks who like cheap junk...I only go there in extreme emergencies.

As for ammunition, I can get that at my local pharmacy or the local supermarket. We're blessed to NOT have a MaoMart anywhere in our county...and never will.

There are some people who have the right to own a firearm that shouldn't.

I go to carbine and pistol shoots at least monthly. Now this is a true story. I was acting as scorer.

The next shooter was Herb. He walks up to position 1 to start the course of fire on the next stage. The Safty Officer asks him if he's ready. Herb reply's yes. The S.O. again asks are you sure your'e ready. Herb again reply'd yes. The S.O. then ask's Herb where his rifle is. The dumb sob walked up to the shooting line and had forgotin his weapon.

I now try my best to avoid being on the same sqad as him.

We discussed it and agreed, that we prefer to buy at the local stores and dealers, but if a ‘box-store’ can beat the price by more than 20% we are buying from the box-store.

When we decided to buy our teen a rifle, I did shop around. And I found that my paper-work prerequisites were not in order. My driver’s license for Maine did not have listed a street address of property that I owned. So it took me a month to get everything fixed [property tax bill showing my lot number, county tax map showing where the land is, state office to decide on our new street address, convince them to put that address into writing, DMV to print out a new license with the address. Oh by the way the street address they decided to use in not in order with the other houses on the road, the state issued one street number, but the mail-delivery lady insisted that I make-up another number that is in sequence with my neighbors]. Then I went back to price shopping once again. I decided on what we were going to buy at the local gun dealer [$300], but I checked at Walmart [$120] and I was shocked at the price difference. Then when doing their paperwork, I learned even more. The local gun dealer must comply with Maine law [thus all the goose chasing that I did]. But the Walmart [since it has stores in all states] can use any state’s driver’s license, so long as they follow the applicable laws for that state. So I could have bought the rifle using a previous Ct driver license and not had to go through so many steps.

By the way, we have found many things that either Walmart or Homedepot sale for way cheaper than any local store offers.

Jeff and I went to WalMart a few months ago. As we entered the store we passed by two umm .. gentlemen .. heading towards the exit doors. Both of us had to do a double take to make sure we were seeing what we thought we were seeing.

Two grown men, in kilts, laughing, smiling, holding hands and skipping together. LOL. I *so* wish I would have had a camera with me. They seemed totally oblivious to everyone around them and were having a wonderful and happy time as they ended their evening of shopping.

Not that I would now ask Jeff, when he least expects it, if he would like to go skipping thru WalMart. :) Hehe .. always gets him to crack a big smile. I guess that old saying is true. When you think you've seen it all ....