GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Rag - September/October 2006

Belle

It is harder on the smaller corps groups without question; I learned 10 minutes was precious. I've heard they already have more than 4 for the next group (counting children).

Well,

children count so long as they'll also be doing the manual labour around

grounds, and going on potentially life-threatening activities like

hitchhiking to LEAD, rock-climbing without certified instructors,

and bullfighting.

Knowing the heartless, inhumane machines in charge of the programs,

it would not surprise me to hear they'd SEND 8-12 year olds to do any or all of the above.

Do they still ship the corps by bus to a farm to pick peppers and onions or whatever?

And if so, is that still obviously unpaid manual labour that they're PAYING for the

privilege of doing?

The bus trips were to the Kipp farm, no trips were taken from Gunnison to my knowledge. Small children would not be doing such things I'm sure. Yet I have no experience with family corps training personally. Today as we know already, it is one corps rather than single-couple/family training.

I would say all things done in training are towards the upkeep while teaching things within the experience.

And all that I say is old news, I left them in 2002.

How many people work at Gunnison and how much does it cost to keep that place open, I wonder.

The wc students didn't just work for free - they paid to work there. Twice the income for TWI in that regard. Now how much work has to be done to keep it going? It's a lot of work to take care of all that wood, the animals and such, isn't it? Imagine.... "We boast that we have 12 employees to each wc student!" Talk about attention and one-on-one training! Geeze they probably can't even sneak reading material into the bathroom with that many eyes on them. :huh:

Can you imagine being one of the four corps graduates?

...lemme see now...between the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th corps...there was what? maybe 2500 of us?...it was easy to get lost in the crowd...but 4?...just FOUR??????

"Who's gonna volunteer for kitchen duty tonight?"...they all look at each other...Oh man! what a sh *t sandwich that must be!!! :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

On the other hand..........even with a skeleton staff crew around....

It shouldn't take too long to peel a few potatoes, should it?

It wouldn't take all that long to wash some dishes, would it?

Stringing two rows of chairs...........no problem.

Or, how about learning ALL the names of your corps brethren? :biglaugh:

And......the reading of the names at corps graduation took all of one minute. Talk about the practical application of the Redeeming the Time Class...!!!

:spy:

Edited by skyrider

Well,

children count so long as they'll also be doing the manual labour around

grounds, and going on potentially life-threatening activities like

hitchhiking to LEAD, rock-climbing without certified instructors,

and bullfighting.

Bullfighting? Seriously?

Rodeo school is what they called it, at least back in the 80's. Bull riding, bronc riding...stuff like that. In the corps it wasn't mandatory, but quite a few from Indiana went to Gunnison for a two-week experience.

Some people got hurt, some just came away with bruises.

Are you saying it would take rodeo school to make them clowns,

when in this day and age they're still willing to pay twi $cashola

to "teach" them how to perform manual labour?

Whether or not they wear the jester's motley, or paint their faces,

I think they're still playing the fool....

So what I want to know is exactly how do you keep a mere four souls fired up with the greatness of what they are doing?

You can hardly get up and expound on how they are the select, the ones, destined to move the prevaling word, the only ones with enough spritual insight to handle the heavy revelation of being way corps.

Or can they? DO thse four souls truly believe that they are the only ones so "worthy" and if in fact they believe this then ---Katy bar the door--talk about your budding sociopaths......

I don't know if anyone can scan and post the picture of the Adams' family ? Been awhile since I seen his sadistic moosh ! Hopefully Felicia his wife isn't looking 'hard' these days, she was a lovely lady when we knew her.

I hope to God the kids of some of these serial adulterers don't grow up to be like their parents.

So what I want to know is exactly how do you keep a mere four souls fired up with the greatness of what they are doing?

You can hardly get up and expound on how they are the select, the ones, destined to move the prevaling word, the only ones with enough spritual insight to handle the heavy revelation of being way corps.

Or can they? DO thse four souls truly believe that they are the only ones so "worthy" and if in fact they believe this then ---Katy bar the door--talk about your budding sociopaths......

Maybe they think of themselves as the "Fantastic Four" of Marvel comics fame...or perhaps they see themselves as the remnant of Jedi Knights, sorta like Luke Skywalker...

...Personally, I see them as Curly, Larry and Moe...with Shemp thrown in. :evilshades:

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Skyrider, could this possibly be the smallest Corps in TWI history?

Heck even the 1st Corps had a handfull. And our group (7th) had over 350 I think.

Yep......FOUR graduates!! :biglaugh:

Wonder if they made them wear nametags to class???? :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Didn't the ZERO CORPS have five or six.....before veepee canned it?

And, the 1st corps.........nine.

Edited by skyrider

As far as I know, there was never any bullfighting at rodeo school. The brave (aka crazy) Corps could opt to ride a bull. The closest thing to bullfighting was done by the pros--the rodeo clowns like Bob D-----son and others who oversaw rodeo school. And Tonto is correct--the perilous events at rodeo school were entirely optional.

My son was 14 when we spent a week at Gunnison, and he didn't do any risky rodeo stuff. He rode bareback in some kind of a race, but that was it. Personally, I played pull the ribbon off the calf's tail. At that altitude, and being a smoker, that was challenging enough for me. *cough cough*