GreaseSpot Cafe

How much control do we have over life?

Most of my adult life I was in TWI, and the idea that I could control all aspects of life--even other people--was a constant. In fact, I was held responsible for things in life by TWI leadership. For instance, after a birth I had kidney failure for a while--it kept me in the hospital for a few days and was quite scary for awhile--but then everything went back to normal. But this was 'caused' by a open door in my believing, I was counselled--even though I wasn't even aware a woman could have kidney issues following a delivery!

After leaving TWI hubby and I were pretty burned out. We ceased to talk about believing for stuff etc and just started making practical plans. Quite honestly, making plans and carrying them out has worked far better for us in terms of finances, jobs etc than our former practices. Still, things happen all the time that throw a monkey wrench into the plans.

I'm familiar with the "Just World Theory", and it is comforting to think that we get what we deserve in life...but that theory doesn't work in every situation--an accidental early death for instance. Good people don't always have easy pleasant lives...

Religions, Christian and other, seem to be all over the place on human control in life.

My kids are now the age I was in twi.

what a perspecitve this has given me. Unless we were taught by our parents to plan a life most just do not.

Early aldulthood is suppose to be one of taking risks and meeting the challenge of change . or simply rebellion of what our parents may have done that harmed us as individuals . it happens.

My sister is a control freak and her hubby, they are most loving and would give you anything you need as long as they have the say in your life and they do it out of loving hearts.

our relationship has been a struggle, at time I really hate them it seems the "love" is so dam conditional.

and the price one pays. Here is the thing for me about control and who is kidding who we ALL want to think we can control our life and we should.

When panic attacks and depression happen because it isnt working it is time to look into WHY that is happening .

my other sister who NEVER would dream of saying the other sister could be wrong has these issues and i think it is very telling about how control can ruin an individual .

life is life i tell my kids they are grown now and I tell them make plans do your best work always get knowledge try new things. But most of all KNOW nothing you do is who you are.

know relationships either change with you or they go away and that is not always a bad thing just moment in time to love another.

Is that controlling? to me it is truth. where as my sister loks at it in horrid unhappy relationship all must be just fine and dandy and no problem can happen because they have a grip on everything everyone could possibly do or think.

good luck I say I can not change another nor do I desire to. maybe they need to be at that place i do not get. and that is ok.

I have had all the plans and life so GREAT fall in the sewer to start again. so I do not know what it like to live a life without bad things happening.

i do not know how i can change my reality, and i amnot in controll , i llok at those who think they are and notice oftentimes from my perspective it is an illusion . maybe im bitter I do not know

Appropriate reponse is how I would look at it.

The Lord, I believe, really does have the whole world in His hands, and although He cannot control what people do, He can give those who listen to His voice direction and guidance.

We respond to the situation at hand, and our response is determined by the preparation of our lives.

We cannot, just as the Lord cannot, control the Osama Bin Laden's of the world due to that most precious commodity of free will.

We choose our response.

Those firemen and others who responded sacrificially on 9/11/01 chose to do so. The situation was not of their choosing, but their response was.

The soldiers who are doing their utmost to serve and protect, the policemen (and women) who face such fearsome situations in their lines of duty respond to the best of their ability.

As do we all, I believe.

The preparation of our lives determine our ability to evaluate the situation we are in, and that we can control.

The man and woman (or boy and girl) who choose to have or not have intercourse have control over whether or not there will be a decision regarding a baby.

Control I believe is governed in the preparation and forethought of our lives, like the farm had who declared when asked about how he worked, "I can sleep in a storm." He could say that because he maintained the fences, always put aways the farm equipment and tools, and always put the animals securely away in the evening, securely locking the barn door.

• 3 weeks later...

What we control and what we don't changes constantly. Sometimes we make decisions that down the road result in unpleasant consequenses: we don't always see the connection.

A few years ago my oldest son was an assistant department manager at the company that I now work for. His immediate supervisor, the department manager, was in the Nat'l Guard and would be gone for 2 weeks. This was my son's first opportunity to run the department on his own, to show the store director what he was made out of. So what did my son do? He spent the weekend at the lake with the rest of the family, sunbathing, without any sunscreen; he fell asleep and got seriously sunburned. Ended up in the hospital with sunstroke (or somethin'). He missed over a week of work.

The store director got on his case about the decisions he made. My son maintained that it wasn't his fault. I agree more with the store director. You have to think about the consequenses of your actions.

I believe that in any situation one needs to look at what happened and determine whether anything could have been done to prevent it, so it doesn't happen again. Will that eliminate all problems? Nope, because some things are outside our control!

Seems to me we all had enough of trying to control life while we were in the Way. Just build your believing, ya know. And it gets harder when you are expected to control other people.

Now it may be wise to plan and set objectives and all that, but it will never eliminate the unexpected because we are only finite.

Jerry

Another cool thread, Bramble! It's sort of complementary to your Faith thread. Everybody has some great stuff here!

Bramble – I'm with you on "Religions, Christian and other, seem to be all over the place on human control in life." I remember back in my TWI-daze reading a teaching by Oral Roberts on the passage in Luke 8: 22-25 where Jesus stills the sea. I use to like his slant on it so much I would use it sometimes when I taught on that "law of believing" nonsense. Roberts' clincher was typical of most health-and-wealth preachers TWI[/b] – after awhile they all sound alike to me – and it's been so long ago]. Where verse 25 has the disciples asking "Who then is this, that He commands even the winds and the water, and they obey Him?" – Roberts said the disciples should have asked "what kind of faith is this that it commands even the winds and the water, and they obey it?" Do you see the difference? The text shows the disciples were fascinated…awestruck…with this amazing person in the boat with them - attributing their miraculous rescue to Him. The "law of believing" fans take the focus off Jesus Christ and zero in on figuring out how He did it…thinking that He used a Star Wars-like-Force to control the environment…

And that flows right into Pond's comments – we all want to think we have such total control over our lives and really don't – and for those who do think that - it's really just an illusion…I'm the same way – sometimes it scares me when things go awry and my head is spinning – "Uh oh – sound the alarm – there's chaos in my little kingdom – who or what dares to defy my power!?!? Ummm…That is in my jurisdiction isn't it?"

TempleLady – Yup, the only thing I've got a bead on is the exact second - - hold on - - wait… wait - - here it comes – NOW! LOL – I crack myself up sometimes – in looking forward to that approaching second I missed experiencing the one I was in…and now it's gone. Holy quantum heaps – I'm stuck in a temporal conundrum of Delorian/McFly proportions! But seriously – I think that's a good point you bring up – when my "control freak" breaks out of solitary confinement it seems like my goal is either to change the past or guarantee the future.

Kit Sober – really enjoyed your post, "We choose our response." And "The preparation of our lives determine our ability to evaluate the situation we are in, and that we can control."… When trouble comes my way or I'm worrying about something – I'm aware of a this inner struggle sometimes. Can't pin it down – but it's conflicting thoughts like: "I've been praying and trying my best to rectify this all week – so why ain't it working out?!?!" I see that I'm initially choosing my response [prayer and appropriate action] but as the situation goes on – my "closet control freak" starts wondering why my superpowers are waning – is there kryptonite nearby? I believe God answers prayer – but sometimes get frustrated because it's not the answer I wanted. Like Paul praying to God three times about his thorn in the flesh. God answered his prayer – He didn't take it away – instead He provided grace, strength.

Waysider - "The harder I work, the luckier I get." Believe it or not - I sort of see a correlation with that and Kit's thing on choosing our response and preparation. I have this dumb Forrest Gump-ish view of reality sometimes – we're all in our boats afloat this ocean. I do have some control – the speed and direction of my boat – but still there is the tides, waves, currents upon which I ride. I may even be influenced by the wake of another boat – or they from mine. [Now be forewarned - I'm going turn on my Televangelist Machine] "So if you want to have greater influence on people and more power in your life – then as Richard Dryfus once said, 'I think you're gonna need a bigger boat.'" :biglaugh: …Speaking of boats and control – that reminds me of James 3 about taming the tongue – verse 4 likens the tongue to a small rudder that controls a big ship – the tongue is small, yes – but has a big influence in your life. I just think about the good or bad things I've said to people, times I should have kept my mouth shut, times I should have spoken up, times that I've gone overboard in a gripe session…Uh oh – another TWI flashback – I remember someone getting our whole branch into the "power of the tongue nonsense" – making all kinds of positive confessions to alter reality, to get what you want…Again – there's religion for yah – "let's see what I can do with this trade secret."

Oakspear – "What we control and what we don't changes constantly. Sometimes we make decisions that down the road result in unpleasant consequences: we don't always see the connection." Ain't that the truth! I tell yah – do you know what a revelation it was to me leaving behind TWI's law-of-believing-crap and starting to see there was some kind of relationship between what I actually DO with reality and what happens in reality! Amazing.

DrtDzn - "Now it may be wise to plan and set objectives and all that, but it will never eliminate the unexpected because we are only finite." …I wonder about God creating us in His own image and likeness. Back in Genesis He told them everything in the world was theirs and to rule over it [Genesis 1:28]. Maybe it's in our nature - this desire to control.

Abigail – "…just when you think you have your goals and plan all laid out and things are running smoothly, life has a way of pulling the rug out from underneath you. I have to believe there is a bigger plan with a better goal and that the "rug pulling" is a part of that."…Great thought – I need to remind myself of that more often!

Dancing – "I think there is a great fear of lost control. Rather then fear it, investigate it."…Wow – that's a great key! There's a lot to that. I remember the fears my wife and I had when our son went touring about Europe with a friend. What will he do about this or that? What if this or that happens? As we'd talk about it we'd realize some of that was the old thing of parents sensing a loss of control, of being there to help in a pinch.

Edited by T-Bone

And the really big, all-encompassing, far-reaching events in our lives we have little or nothing to say about.

Like, what country you were born in, was there a war going on, what kind of parents you had (if any), did you have any birth defects, abnormalities, how intelligent you are, how wealthy was your family (or poverty stricken), did you get proper nutrition in your formitive years, did you get a reasonable education, will you get a life-altering disease in later life, will your life be cut short by accident or catastrophe (flood, famine, earthquake), lots of that kinda stuff.

And how about if some terrorist has planted a dirty bomb in your neighborhood? Lots of stuff to screw up our well-laid plans and our "built" believing. And there ain't squat you can do about any of it.

I've come to the conclusion that fate is one capricious mutha#$%&er and it doesn't matter one whit how much we pray, believe, or how many herbal teas we drink, it can all come crashing down in an instant - or not. We have far less control than we'd like to think...

hi george

And the really big, all-encompassing, far-reaching events in our lives we have little or nothing to say about

your list leaves out the really big, all-encompassing, far-reaching events in our lives

and there are things we can do about it

not only the things in your list

but those things that you may have ruled out

and i don't mean prayer the way you think of it

plus there is a hell of a lot more then prayer that can be done

on another note

my entire school district staff

of which i'm a part of

just had a day conference

with the department of homeland security

prevention-mitigation

preparedness

response

recovery

it was an interesting day for sure

might want to look up some of those words

maybe you don't believe they exist

george

just cause you like to change my meaning to suit yourself

that don't change what i meant

you want an argument

i'm saying there are things you are missing

probably intentionally to justify your own ignorance

your privilege

and my privilege to counter your point of view

nothing was said about everyone being safe

you changed the subject

it's about how much control do we have over life

you are basically saying none

i say we have more then we realize

IF we just search it out

and we are all ignorant in various things

wonder what would happen if we listened to each other?

Edited by dancing

and i can say more about

prevention-mitigation

preparedness

response

recovery

if anyone is interested

another day though

i'm going to bed

of course this is about saving lives

and changing lives

not sure if this is what bramble had in mind

from bramble

Quite honestly, making plans and carrying them out has worked far better for us in terms of finances, jobs etc than our former practices

george you used different terms then finances, jobs etc

these things work the same basically in other situations

O.K. Clay,

I'll write reeeeal slow so you can understand.

I said nothing about planning, preparation, financing, saving for a rainy day, etc. All of those are wonderful things that we should all do more of. I was simply pointing out that there are real, life-changing events that we have little or no control over. Big things. Things that can and do bring all that planning and preparation to nought. And for all our efforts the "control" over our own lives then becomes minimal. If we happened to live enchanted lives where none of that stuff happens, well, wonderful. But there's no guarantees.

Yeah, it's not the fun, formulaic, "believing equals receiving" pablum we lived off of during our WayWorld tenure, but it's the reality we do live in, like it or not. I tend to prefer reality over pipedreams. I'm funny that way...