GreaseSpot Cafe

Very Interesting (current Way leader publishes a book)

Gillian Rules

LOL

How did you find that book and put it together like that Gillian?

too funny!

I wouldn't put H@RNEY on a book either.............. :biglaugh:

I almost went into shock seeing that name. She was one of our L.E.A.D. instructors way back when - whew -what a drill sergeant!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How about a little warning before you post something like that again - :biglaugh:

I wonder if any of those adventures are of providing extra special attention to visitors to her neck of the woods. :confused:

I definitely wouldn't put Horney on any book either.... well, I take that back.... depends on what it's about and where it's being sold. :biglaugh:

Very good sleuth work, Gillian! I wonder how it'll do. ARe they still full time and was this book sanctioned by Rosie - did she get permission and have to have rosie edit it for her? How much money will she be abundantly sharing with TWI from the sales of this book? Is there a tell-all book in the works, too? THAT would be a best seller: "My life as a Geisha for God"

I ... Is there a tell-all book in the works, too? THAT would be a best seller: "My life as a Geisha for God"

If there is - I think using her real name would be appropriate.

• Upvote 1

Here's some more info:

http://www.bookflightblews.com/node/1240

"I thought at first of writing it as a non-fiction," Horney, who writes under the pen name Josie Daval, a name that is a combination of her name, her husband's, and their two children. "But I thought it would be a great piece of historical fiction. That's where 'The Wright Twist' was born."
The above article is caching an article from Times Community Newspaper, located in Kettering, OH. But it is easier to read than the original since aparently the author forgot how to use paragraphs.

But the original does have a comment submitted to it by some guy named Edwin Horney:

This is a very captivating article. It grabs the attention of any Daytonian and makes one desire to read The Wright Twist. Way to go, Editor!

http://www.tcnewsnet.com/main.asp?SectionI...&TM=72997.8

I was in the first group the horney's coordinated at LEAD. I really liked Jacque, as she was my coordinator and challenged me, and as a result I had a blast out there. But when she was our Corps Coordinator my last year in residence she and Ed were hard nosed. I felt like they were completely different people from the one's I knew at LEAD.

I will say that since her book has nothing to do with the Way I might read it. The review makes it sound like a good book for older kids to read and gather some history in a fun way. Believe me being one that hated history growing up, this would have been one way of getting historical information in my head.

I never knew she had that talent.

just a note--this publisher has a self-publishing division (like a vanity press). i can't tell whether this book was self-published or not, but it's just the kind of thing a wayfer would do. and tell everyone they got a book published.

sorry to be so cynical. NOT.

It is unlikely the publisher would be promoting and selling a self-published work.

LOL

How did you find that book and put it together like that Gillian?

too funny!

I wouldn't put H@RNEY on a book either.............. :biglaugh:

Actually we do have our GS GB too. haha

Perhaps it's a great book, more power to her. Maybe they've mellowed somewhat now that they are old. They coordinate 3 fellowships in the Dayton area, don't know if they are full time or trying to make money & make up for lost time & 401 Ks. Seems like some of the staff I know are branching out into secular work of some kind but self-employed.

Edited by Gillian Rules

Sprawled Out, that was the first thing I tried to find online, too, and I couldn't tell whether it was self-published.

Shortfuse said:

It is unlikely the publisher would be promoting and selling a self-published work.

I'm not so sure about that. I did some editing for a vanity press years ago, and I seem to recall that the company also offered marketing services, besides just the editorial/printing services. It's been years, but I think for an extra fee the company would help someone get his or her book into bookstores, etc.

Sprawled Out, that was the first thing I tried to find online, too, and I couldn't tell whether it was self-published.

I'm not so sure about that. I did some editing for a vanity press years ago, and I seem to recall that the company also offered marketing services, besides just the editorial/printing services. It's been years, but I think for an extra fee the company would help someone get his or her book into bookstores, etc.

Alright, for the sake of argument, suppose it is a self published book. What makes that an act of vanity and not an act of entrepreneurship? I think she used a pen name to avoid harassment from some of you as much as anything. Get it out of your system gspotters, Jacque Horney, former Way Corps coordinator, has published a book of juvenile fiction. How sinister. :ph34r:

It's a book for middle schoolers. Maybe you should all read it.

It's a book for middle schoolers. Maybe you should all read it.

I can think of better books to read.

She used a pen name because "horney" would never be accepted for children's reading. Plain and simple.

Personally, I don't give a crap what the intentions of an active TWIt leader are in publishing a book. The fact that that they still not only buy into what TWI sells but have the audacity to promote it. People like this I have no sympothy for.

Edited by GreasyTech

Shortfuse said:

What makes that an act of vanity and not an act of entrepreneurship? I think she used a pen name to avoid harassment from some of you as much as anything.

Publishers that people pay to publish their books are called "vanity presses," Shortfuse. I said nothing about her writing a book being an act of vanity. It's just standard publishing lingo. Settle down. :)

I don't even know this woman...she's after my time. I wouldn't harrass her if I did. Don't be so silly.

True story - I met Ed's Dad years ago in Miami. Came to vist Ed. Nice guy, had a great time talking, seems we shot some shoot about fishing if I remember right.

First thing he asked me when Ed introduced us to each other - first thing - was about my last name. "What's the background on that name of yours". Absolutely true. I was dumb struck for a moment and had to curb my tongue but I nearly coughed up a lung right there trying not to laugh. I resisted the urge to ask him the background on his name. He was a nice guy, but it was just too funny.

Writing is fun. I hope Jackie PseudoName does well with it. Why not? Her and Ed were the sweetest people when I knew them. I know there may be a lot of water under the bridge for them now, as for all of us but it would be great if they were using their talents for something constructive. I have fond memories of them. Ed was impressionable. Not that I'm some guru or anything but I always felt an urge to just "be" around him, try to remind him by my behavior and manner that everything was going to be alright and we were in Good Hands. I liked them for the time we had and hope their way is a good one. Maybe if they get some time away together and can live their own lives without others expectations leading them good things will happen.

I'm sure they were nice people at once time. I saw them come and go quite a bit when I was at HQ. I sat at the lunch table with them more than once and saw them in action while they were there. They seemed so doctrinated in living and being examples of the "ultimate believers" twi promoted. It wasn't real IMHO. They seemed a little cold and not always happy. It was almost like they were always in "judgment mode" to see how Fd up people were. Maybe that's from being WC coordinators. This is just my observation and my own vibes I got around them.

:offtopic: PS: I always thought it was interesting that LCM used to lift Jacque up on a pedastal with her abilities in hunting and outdoor stuff. It was almost like she was more man than he was. :biglaugh: He made a point one time to say he was having sinus problems while at Gunnison and had Jacque woke up so she could give him something he didn't have. Now why didn't he prepare for that? He said he ALWAYS had sinus problems up there. Waking someone up in the middle of the night for something you should have brought yourself seems pretty effen rude IMHO. If someone had done that to him, there would have been hell to pay. Did he realize what a hypocrite he sounded like when he told us that in the dining room one day??? Of course, we are talking about one of the biggest idiots of all time.

Edited by Nottawayfer

This is most certainly a self-publishing company....

(Copy and paste from their site)

Author Queries

Thank you for your interest in submitting your work to Orange Frazer Press. With very few exceptions, Orange Frazer Press specializes in non-fiction Ohio books. If you've written a book that meets those general guidelines and you'd like us to consider publishing your work, you can submit your manuscript to us either via e-mail or by mail. Whichever method you choose, your query must contain the following information:

* A cover letter explaining what your book is about and a description of your intended audience and marketing plan

* A table of contents and three sample chapters

* If you're submitting your manuscript through the mail and you'd like your materials returned, you must include a self-addressed postage-paid envelope

Due to the volume of queries that we receive, it may take us up to thirty days to get back to you.

(etc.)......

Shortfuse said:

Not self published!

Many small publishing companies use pod publishers(print on demand) rather than do print runs of several thousand dollars in their own shop. A big print run only pays if you also have a book distributer like Ingrams that can get your book on shelves. An author with a small pub can get print books but has to have a way of distributing them, which might be to contact local booksellers themself, and deliver the books themselves.

POD books tend to be half sheet size rather than mass market paperback size, so look odd if the book is short, and they tend to be more expensive than mass market, so are a harder sell. A vanity published hardback with a hefty price tag?--The author better have stellar reviews and some contest wins if they want to sell.

Many book stores do carry a local or state author area. Big bookstores like Barnes and Nobles take such a high percentage in such cases that the author won't make money through that store, but it could be seen as promotion.

If it is a vanity press, then she had to pay for the editing etc herself, some also have to get their own book cover designs or pay a fee, and pay a fee for the ISBN#.

Many vanity pubs will publish without editing at all, which is why they are not looked on favorably in the industry. An editor also helps with formatting and style, which can make a difference in the print quality and varies from place to place.

It is difficult for mid list pubbed authors to make much money, and the smaller the pub, less marketing offered etc, the less an author is likely to make.

An author who does not have a decent website and marketing plan involving promo is not looked at as being a professional in today's pub and agent world.

Perhaps her marketing plan is TWI bookstore.