GreaseSpot Cafe

We are Veterans of a different sort

likeaneagle

i never liked the term "wow vet" nor wierwille's schpeel about sacrificing / staying out on the field instead of being with family, also terms like enemy lines, crack troops, etc. etc., all those comparisons to our war vets

i just didn't like it, that's me

(((excie)))

I prefer the term, "WOW Survivor". :wink2:

sushi

althiugh i have much respect for folks who served as wows i must ask how many of them did not return home or if they did missing an arm or leg

What I'm hearing from this is, physical disabilities rank higher on the honor scale than mental/emotional ones, is this what you mean? I'm not trying argumentative, just asking, because quality of life is affected either way.

Folks respect veterans because of what they went through...

Not me. Some veterans don't go through much at all. Some have safer and cushier jobs than they'd likely have in civilian life.

I honor veterans because as a group they stand between our society and those who would attack, conquer, or destroy it. We could not be the free and prosperous nation we are without a strong military force.

Many other people do wonderful things or fight through serious problems. They are deserving of their honor. My only objection is to them feeding off the honor we bestow on our veterans.

A military veteran isn't the only kind of veteran there is (look in any dictionary).

I don't see why it should be an affront to a military veteran when someone is referred to as a veteran of something else. Of course, most of us want to honor those who have served in the U.S. military. But it seems perfectly logical to me what LAE posted. It's not about victimhood. It's about survival and endurance.

God bless us, every one.

A military veteran isn't the only kind of veteran there is...

No one said it is.

I don't see why it should be an affront to a military veteran when someone is referred to as a veteran of something else.

It's not.

What I don't like is using Veterans Day as a springboard to honor veterans of something else, and comparing whatever else that something might be to military service in war. There's very little in life that can compare to war, and most of us haven't experienced anything close to fighting in a war.

As I said before, I'm all for honoring whatever people do that is worthy of honor. I don't like doing it by feeding off somebody else's honor. I acknowledged that I came down too hard on likeaneagle, but I still don't like the comparison of much of anything to war or the service of those who fight in wars.

Edited by LG

Gee officer Krupke, I'm not sure if I'm misunderstood,

or if deep down inside me I'm no good

I'm no good, I'm no good

I'm no earthly good ...

:dance:

or maybe I have a social disease ... :biglaugh:

What a great song ...

But I'll throw in my off the cuff comparison for fun

military vets risk their lives for the country (at least that is the idea)

wow vets used their time to save people (at least that was the idea)

military can retire on half pay with benefits after 20 years (I think)

wow vets that go corps and staff get the bum's rush after 20 years

military get paid and continuing useful education and training

wow vets pay at least 15% of their income and get no useful training

military are largely respected and admired for their service

wow vets are largely derided and laughed at for submitting to a cult

military have a "brotherhood" nationwide ... even worldwide

wow vets have a few internet contacts or maybe a small fellowship

Overall, I'd say misguided WOW "vets" have in many ways sacrificed more, and accomplished less ...

but for the most part they didn't get shot at ... and a wow vet going awol doesn't get the brig ... and they don't work near as hard as the military ... and military control is a little more absolute ... and so on ...

Edited by rhino

... a wow vet going awol doesn't get the brig ... and they don't work near as hard as the military ... and military control is a little more absolute
Somebody here missed the Prisons without Bars and the Spiritual Elitism threads!

Military vets probably grumbled like heck about some of their orders, even as they fulfilled them.

In TWI if you grumbled about orders, you would get at best a face melt and put in the spiritual brig, where some have spent a very long time.

Some were dishonorably discharged or shot at dawn, ie M&A.

It's always good to respect anybody who seriously stands for anything. You can respect their commitment without having to respect what they stood for.

well I guess I'll go read those threads, but if twi reinforced their control with physical control and ability to imprison ... wouldn't that have been more absolute? We GS'ers that are not imprisoned prove it is less absolute I thinks ...

There were people that walked away ... they were said to be in some spiritual prison perhaps, but if you go AWOL in the military you can be in an actual prison. Despite the "brianwashing" of the military ... I'd prefer that to WOW ... corpse ... lifetime of service ... but that twi prison was really self imposed, though twi certainly preyed on the weak ...

Really in hindsight it would have been pretty good to go air force rotc ... 20 years, heck, I could be flying something now with half pay ... oh well ...

Edited by rhino

Rhino- you leave me speechless at times..

yes, thier were many who spent 4 yrs that yielded nothing more than a ticket out....

Im sorry...for your loss of time/plans that the BOT screwed up..

Truth we are living free'r...

Im probaly not meeting your inteligence on your loss , ...but im hearing it.:)

I just want you made a mark somewhere....

Happy Thanksgiving

Edited by likeaneagle